Protein Skimmer & Refrugium System

holyspirit

Which is more impt ?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more impt ?

• Protein Skimmer
    • Refrugium System

pros and cons for skimmer.

Skimmer while able to skim DOC out, it will also skim iodide, plankton, pods, pod eggs and all sorts of floating microorganism.

Bro,

What is DOC?

Regards

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

i know one of the old old marine Lfs in singapore that have keep corals for up to 6 years or more and grow so huge with just a simple system ..using macro skimmer , no calcium reactor.. a DIY drip kal system..no refugium system also.. just running the whole tank with a simple overflow tank and weipro metal halide light and weekly 10 percent of weekly water changes

yet his tang already 6 years old and corals at least 6 years old~~~

• Sponsor

Well, have to agree that simplicity helps and following the old "water change on a regular basis" advice puts things in balance and extends the life of our aquatic pets....as hobbyists, i think we need to give our pets a little more attention and time.. :unsure: the guilty one speaking here...

• SRC Member

i think that in basic..changing water is very important...

best is change every week~~~

i have know ppl that buy tones of expensive equipment yet

corals not opening.. never grow or colour going off~` yet ppl who dun really use expensive system but with daily care and weekly change..corals grow and multiply like crazy...one of the old old old shop with its leather kept for years until you can see the leather grow as big as one giant hand.. at least bud off 10 babies.. and gave most of them off

• SRC Member

IMO, skimmer is more important in a FOWLR tank while a refugium is mroe important in a reef tank.

From Anthony Calfo's book, refugium plays a muilti functional role that will not only convert waste but also produce some beneficial stuff needed by corals.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
IMO, skimmer is more important in a FOWLR tank while a refugium is mroe important in a reef tank.

From Anthony Calfo's book, refugium plays a muilti functional role that will not only convert waste but also produce some beneficial stuff needed by corals.

i tink for a Fowlr n a reef system a skimmer is equally important... a skimmer skims out organic stuff in the water... this stuff if not skimmed out would pollute the water being broken down into No3 etc.... so i believe it is the most important... having a refugium is a plus as it allows nutrients to be exported

• SRC Member

i tink for a Fowlr n a reef system a skimmer is equally important... a skimmer skims out organic stuff in the water... this stuff if not skimmed out would pollute the water being broken down into No3 etc.... so i believe it is the most important... having a refugium is a plus as it allows nutrients to be exported

true.. I believe in a FOWLR tank, no need for refrugium. Need very good skimmer. Over skimming even better. What you need to do is top up those bacterial thing (eg Cycle) in water every 1-2 weeks... my tank nitrate is controlled this way.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Skimmer remove organics from the water before they have a chance to break down into NH4,No2, NO3 etc. It relieve some bioload from the system. The bad part is like a UV sterilizer, it does not discriminate and skim out the good stuff too. But these elements can be replenish by dosing.

As for a refugrium, not sure why it is stated as a filteration method? coz from my understanding, its a place to cultivate food (plankton pods etc) for the main tank and for putting LS out of harms way in the main tank.

But from what i gather from this forum, seem like it became a place for keeping micro algae, plants etc to reduce nitrate. (thought that is a reverse photosystesis (dono how to spell) to oxgenate the water and reduce some nitrate when the light in the main tank is off) :(

But anyway, think mud,mangroove or microalage in sump is secondary to a skimmer. easier to remove a problem before it starts rather then after it started. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
But skimmer can't tackle nitrate, right?

IMO: A proper setup refugium, can remove the nitrate down to good level.

not directly. But if you have a good skimmer it can bring away the organic waste before it even had a chance to break down. But if there are already nitrate there, then i believe the refugium can help alot here.

• SRC Member
But skimmer can't tackle nitrate, right?

IMO: A proper setup refugium, can remove the nitrate down to good level.

bro

hotlemond is very correct on this........ :rolleyes:

however if you intend to set up a refugium, do put into cosideration tat refugium if given unproper setting, it may also crash your tank too........... :blink:

do also take note tat they need, best 24hrs of lighting ................... :rolleyes: