Drilling live rocks for Scaping Landscape

Hi Readers,

I am thinking of drilling live rocks and putting Plastic rods in between to hold rocks in position to form a certain desired looking shape that makes it look like real actual sea reefs where fishes hide in the night or dark and by day come out to play by swimming around it...I am in the mist of searching for transparent plastic rods of different sizes that are sold, friends say get it from Brash Basar Complex where books and art materials are available...i believe them...Q: are there elsewhere that are wholesellers in Acrylic materials that are used for model buildings? next i thought of needing to get the right size drilling bit to do the job.

People, any inputs? :ThanxSmiley:

Regards,

Victor B)

truth remains..."Thirsty in an Ocean"

• SRC Member

check out my tank thread .. my rock scape it built up with these...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

you could get various acrylics from Dama.

I find most liverocks we get locally are porous, and drilling really needs a steady and careful hand otherwise you it will break into pieces. Just my two cents, use epoxy putty to bind rocks.

• SRC Member

Forgot to mention .. Some rocks you can use saw to saw to the shape you want ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

that is so true...i ever saw it on youtube...i have not tried sawing tonga or our regular sea rocks...i don't know...would it be too hard before finishing all the teeth on the saw will be all gone hahaha LOL.

truth remains..."Thirsty in an Ocean"

• SRC Member

Beware the critters when you saw the rocks ya.

I had to chisel 2 pcs of rocks last weekend for scraping.

Both the rocks had worms, quite a number of them. Just normal worms, none with bristles on them.

These worms were found in holes tunneled within the rocks.

Gave me a shock when the rock came apart, the worms peeked out of the holes! Ha!

Maybe it's the source of the rocks ba. Both pcs were bought from the same LFS.

• SRC Member

that is so true...i ever saw it on youtube...i have not tried sawing tonga or our regular sea rocks...i don't know...would it be too hard before finishing all the teeth on the saw will be all gone hahaha LOL.

Tonga rocks should be easy to saw... For my Rockscape most of it are big corals skelaton so quite easy to saw and drill..

• 1 month later...