Kaykay's DIY-approach nano setup. 2'x1.5'x1.5'.

kaykay

• SRC Member

Nice diy seen another innova..tive way of diying di water... just to point out to those wishto diy di do not mix carbon and resin without separate them as the rate they exhaust are different.. If possible let the carbon and resin tumbling in the container to allow them have contact with water.. The way you them in container the resin or carbon which is nearer to the pump will exhaust first

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
....If possible let the carbon and resin tumbling in the container to allow them have contact with water...

Thanks for the advice. I think I might have packed them too tight this time round. Next round I'll pack less of each for more surface contact of each medium particle with the water.

The water flows thru carbon first, then resin. But how can I know if which medium has exhausted? I was thinking that as soon as I'm not able to get 0ppm, I'll replace both media at the same time.

• SRC Member

For me,I don't put carbon... Just resin will also achieve 0ppm.. Moreover what test kit can indicate the carbon exhaust ?

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

To me addition activated carbon is the minimum to compliment to the simple DI resin filter, below are some info for you to decide:

DI Resin: De ionization removes ions (heavy metals or salts) dissolved into the water.

RO membranes: Membranes remove bacteria, virus, metals, salts (ions).

Carbon Filters: Carbon absorb chlorine, chemicals and filter particulate matter.

Sediment filters: Sediments filter out particulate matter only.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

We can use internal filter stock it up with AC n DI resin + wool too right?

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

• SRC Member
We can use internal filter stock it up with AC n DI resin + wool too right?

I have not used an internal filter before, so I won't understand the structure enough to comment.

However, I think it is very possible, provided the media are bagged individually within the filter.

Bros correct me if I'm wrong.

• SRC Member

What r those? Good? Bad?

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member
One of the best nano tank threads...

-tagged-

Keep the updates coming..

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just trying to chronicle this nano journey, and solicit feedback in this open journal.

I appreciate and welcome all comments in this lil' journal of mine.

• SRC Member

Bro wer u buy ur dymax fan

Poly art have them

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

DIY Project 4. (part A)

Nutrient export - the natural way - "Upflow Algae Scrubber".

I believe some of the reefers here have tried the algae scrubber, many with positive results. I saw the mega-size one at Iwarna, and am pretty sure this works. Unfortunately, I'm not running a sump. And having a bucket of algae beside my tank just doesn't cut it. Not a chance.

It must be divine intervention, when I was surfing SRC in church (yes, in church!), and read the thread Santa Monica started.

God sure loves me loads.

It was the 5th day of my tank cycle, and I was like going, I'm sure going this way - the "Upflow Algae Scrubber" (UAS) way..

Oh ya, typing on the iPhone is somehow not as easy as it seems, not least with such a "Lor Sor" uncle suffering from slight "lau hua".. Haha.

So it's very likely I'm doing this in a few parts.. So bear with me ya..

In short, the UAS concentrates the growth of macro algae in a controlled piece of turf WITHIN the confines of a tank, thereby utilizing up the Nitrates and Phosphates present in the aquarium. This is especially useful in a nano tank where space is premium.

I have an available first compartment in the ios in which I have not decided what goes in it at that time.

post-3628-13387301728077_thumb.jpg

I was getting really excited.

• SRC Member

DIY Project 4. (part B )

UAS.

I wanted my UAS to be compact. For the perfectionist me, the external lighting has to look like it is a natural extension of the glass tank. So a spotlight protruding like a swollen sore thumb is a big NO-NO. My CO sure will frown too. The more important factor, however, is safety - I have a finger-itchy 4 year old boy. Haha.

So the most logical lighting has to be the LED. I was thinking of this initially. dcff0295-6fad-5ab7.jpg

But it was immediately thrown out the window due to the 2 factors listed above.

One fine afternoon, after my meeting in town, I visited Sim Lim Tower. My, oh my. My eyes almost went blind after looking at LED fixtures.

I almost gave up the search after 30 mins, when something caught the corner of my almost-blind eyes.

A small flood light was sitting in a glass counter. I asked to see it, and was surprised to be told that it was a 10W LED chip. However, the housing of that fixture was still too big. It measured 5"x 4"x 4"thick. But it ran on DC.

I queried more, and discussed fabricating one to my dimensions. It costs slightly more than the thick set, although it incorporates the 10W LED warm white chip. But I happily paid for it, and waited impatiently 24hrs for it to be made.

dcff0268-6fd6-30a4.jpg

I wasn't really too happy initially at collection. The guy miscalculated, and drilled some holes, left unused. Then I reckoned these holes can be some form of ventilation, and calmed down somewhat.

It sure is bright. dcff0264-700e-041f.jpg

And it was inconspicuous enough.

And energy efficient.

And it fit like a glove.

I'm happy again.

post-3628-13387321994216_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

DIY Project 4 (part C )

UAS.

I continued to source for parts for the UAS. Hit a road block when the plastic mesh were stocked out at Spotlight. I kinda suspect the buyers of this item is more reefers than handi-crafters. Lol.

Finally got help from bro Marcuss to buy it all the way from KL!!! Thanks bro.

Wooden air stone? Couldn't find anything longer than 3" all over Singapore. No choice, as I had no more idea what else I can use.

So UAS finally started running almost 2 weeks from the 1st day I started sourcing.

Sat the custom-made LED set at the innocuous back left corner.

post-3628-1338739968836_thumb.jpg

I was getting disheartened to see absolutely no growth in the first 5 days. But 2 days later, I got a bit of encouragement. post-3628-13387401195469_thumb.jpg

However, the bubbles were getting weaker and finer. The airstone seem to be getting clogged.

So I had to go shopping again.

"Ask, and you shall be given."

Stopped by at Petmart. Asked the aunty at the counter until I was recommended this. post-3628-13387404177461_thumb.jpg

It works like a charm. post-3628-13387404713046_thumb.jpgNice, big, brisk bubbles.

The turf at 14 days.

post-3628-13387405655796_thumb.jpgpost-3628-13387406175641_thumb.jpg

After cleaning, changed to the bubble pipe. I had to clean the glass tank walls. Purple brown algae was forming there fast and furious.

After cleaning. post-3628-13387407556773_thumb.jpg

I didn't cut the cable ties after securing the turf to the bubble pipe. This helps to prop the screen upright. Do note that the cable ties were done the opposite directions for the 2 pcs, thus supporting it both ways.

More updates on this in a week.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I find the rockscapes a little too cluttered.

Should I just keep the rock structure on the left? (but shift it slightly centralized)

cb7525d5-4d3f-496a.jpg

Any comments?

How about making the rocks cape on the right shorter and more to the front. And can use that for zoas...

Just my thought...

• SRC Member

How about making the rocks cape on the right shorter and more to the front. And can use that for zoas...

Just my thought...

I think it's a good idea.

Thanks!

I just realised another problem without a sump. It is that I cannot store the unwanted rocks aside for rescaping at a future date. There is absolutely no additional space in the ios.

Sigh..

Maybe after the rescape this weekend, I can pass the spare rocks to others. Yea, I think I'll do just that.

Cheers.