Kaykay's DIY-approach nano setup. 2'x1.5'x1.5'.

kaykay

• SRC Member

DIY Project 4 ( update - 09/06/12 )

Algae Scrubber

I have cleaned the ATS twice, and I'm finding it cumbersome already.

Right now, the turf is connected to the base egg crate. So it's actually a big L-shape piece of item. How is it cumbersome?

1. The ios compartment is small and narrow. Maneuvering this piece of turf within this compartment takes some dexterous fingers. Even after putting it in place, the turf usually cannot stay straight.

2. This L-shape piece is light, and it floats. So I needed something to hold it down.

I'm using a bag of red Biohome to hold it down. So everytime I remove the turf, I also gotta remove the biohome.

AND, Bacteria in the biohome requires a zero light condition to flourish. So this bag of biohome is exposed to strong LED lighting 16 hrs a day. How to cultivate any bacteria? Lol..

3. Hair algae is blooming in my ios. It is mainly due to the presence of strong stray light from this ATS.

These 3 points alone made it a necessity to modify the ATS.

I tried to shop for a black plastic lunch box that fits the ios dimensions, but you guys will know its almost impossible to find the thing you really need when you need it.

So a trip to DAMA ensues.

post-3628-13392522157582_thumb.jpg

Drilled the holes at home. So worried I may crack the acrylic, I took 1 full hour to drill these 26 holes. Halfway through the thumb got cramps somemore..

The workmanship leaves a lot to be desired though.

First time using acrylic glue, so proceeded with extreme care too.

End product.

post-3628-13392524747932_thumb.jpg

How it will stand in the ios.

post-3628-13392529160737_thumb.jpg

I wanted to use a mirror piece of acrylic for maximum light reflection to double the effectiveness, but the mirror piece is not an easy material to work with. The mirror laminate scratches easily too.

So I chose white to reflect as much light as possible to the back side of the turf.

I stick another piece of black acrylic to minimize light escape. The back of this case is like this.

post-3628-1339253031982_thumb.jpg

Told you the workmanship is poor.

Now I'm leaving it to cure overnight, though I know it's not necessary for acrylics. But it's too late now to clean the turf. There's more important things to attend to, like sleep. Haha.

Will be scrubbing the ios compartment, doing a wc, and install the new case for the ATS tomorrow.

Will update again with pics of this case in operation.

Good night guys.

• SRC Member
you can always get a bucket for saltwater storage and place the lr there with a tiny pump, if you want to, can even rear bs or pods, haha

Hmmm.. It's a good idea..

However with itchy finger young children around, the risk is high. And I absolutely dont like sticky saltwater drips in the house. So I gotta shelf this idea for a while.

• SRC Member

DIY Project 4 (update - 10/6/12)

Upflow Algae Scrubber

Finally!

Scrubbed the scrubber during the water change.

Before: (looks burnt, doesn't it?)

post-3628-13393150651906_thumb.jpg

After washing:

post-3628-13393151396829_thumb.jpg

Put the acrylic box I built yesterday to use. I have to trim the mesh slightly to fit the box. Now mesh is only 3.5" x 5". Total area = 17.5sq inches.

My 10W LED should suffice.

post-3628-13393154196599_thumb.jpg

But.. now I have a white surface at the back the reflect the light. It should now be doubly effective.

Naked in the ios.

post-3628-13393154979936_thumb.jpg

Lights! Action! Camera!

post-3628-13393155404612_thumb.jpg

I'm happy.

Cheers.

• SRC Member

After rambling on for 3 big pages, I'm almost ready to show some livestock now.

Total cycling time was 5 weeks.

Done a 50% wc on week 4, and another 20% on week 5.

Added some fishies over the weekend.

Here's some humble shots, captured on iphone.

post-3628-13395898993339_thumb.jpg

post-3628-13395900238922_thumb.jpg

Really love the Tailspot Blenny.

That's all for this week.

• SRC Member
nice, bro, can go look at your tank and take notes? haha

Sure, no probs bro. But please don't say take notes lah. Mine is really a very humble setup.

Anyway we're meeting next week when you're collecting the lights.

Going for a short driving trip up north this weekend. So probably will not be doing wc this weekend. Hope the nutrients don't build up too much.

Therefore will not be adding any livestock till end of next week. The trick of not giving in to temptation is this-- don't visit any LFS!! Especially so when my office is just 500 meters away from AM.. Haha..

• SRC Member

Thank you for sharing all these pics on the UAS which really helps! I am trying to build one for myself. :)

May I know what did u use to drill holes into arcylic, can DAMA help to drill?

Btw, did you find the bigger bubbles better than the smaller ones from the wooden airstone?

So it seems warm light can also be sucessful!

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

• SRC Member

bro may I ask also what did you use to rough up the mesh?

I don't have a hole saw, was wondering if there are other alternative methods.

Thanks

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

• SRC Member

Hi Jeff,

1. DAMA can drill the holes. However, it'll cost a lot more. They may reject small projects too.

2. I used a normal electric drill. 6mm holes. GO SLOW.

3. Bigger bubbles are better. The wooden air stone produces too fine bubbles. And chokes easily.

4. I bought a $2 rough sanding disc from Daiso. Basically anything rough and sharp can do the job.

Cheers

• SRC Member
kaykay, you have spare ATS trays?

Nope, I didn't make extra. Am afraid you'll have to fabricate it to your dimensions.

BTW is there a market for such ATS trays? Maybe I can make some hobby dollars (if it's permissible) out of this DIY hobby ya.. Haha..

• SRC Member
I need a lot of small pieces, I am working on a project "2 dimension-ally stacked high density ATs". Followed by "3D versions"

Wah you really live up to your nick.. Hahaha..

Sounds interesting though.. You planning to do heavy feeding as to warrant the extra dimensions?

Don't forget, I'm doing a reflective white backing to double the scrubbing effects already.

Interested to know more about your lighting for this ATS too. Mine seems too strong in a single focus point.

• SRC Member

i intend to use mirrors to do the reflections, going to be a box that functions as a reflector for the light as well, since I need the light not to go in only 1 direction, but everywhere.

My dream tank is a tank that's more densely packed with fishes and SPS than Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan's population density, :P

Trying to create a compact, fail safe nitrate filter that uses multiple mechanisms that eventually eliminates water changes.

Why waste space to have 1 piece of tray when you can stack a lot of pieces? Intensive algae farming. Maybe can sell off as fake spirulina, :P