Dream Tank

BELL

• SRC Member

Different multi plugs may require different ways of mounting it on the wall.

If you have not already bought one, look for those where you can directly place a screw from the front to fasten it to the wall.

For those that you cannot directly screw on, you'll need to make markings and mount the screws first, then "hang" it using the mounted screws.

Of course the first method is simpler and has a bigger margin for errors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kaykay!

In a dilemma! My Tank's background is white, cabinet is white...

Am thinking if i should use Black coloured Sand /White/ White and Black mix?

Would like to hear your choice and reason for it!

Please help me in selecting the colour of sand that i should choose. Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member
Mind sharing more of this VHB tape?

Does it work on painted house walls? I need to mount a 3-way timer plug when my lights are here.

I suggest using 3M double side tape.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC Member

Hi Bell,

I prefer white sand .... you know like the crystal sand at East Coast beach.

However, if later you find that white sand is not that nice; you can change to black sand.

No worries, flexibility is needed in this hobby.

Cheers!

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member

kaykay, you can refer to http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Bonding-Tapes/VHB-Tape/. As this is an industrial product, bear in mind to follow the instructions strictly to achieve maximum strength. it is all right to use on painted wall, not on paint that's already peeling though.

I have some if you need, :) Remember, it is a permanent solution, trying to unmount the tape may cause peeling of paint. If you need to often remove the equipment, I would suggest using tons of fasteners: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Fasteners/Product-Catalog-SNAPS/?N=5255642&rt=c3

Yes. High-strength bonding tape is a proven alternative to screws, rivets, welds and other forms of mechanical fasteners.

Unlike screws or rivets – which join materials at a single point – high-strength bonding tape permanently adheres one substrate to another while spreading the stress load across the entire length of the joint. Once materials are joined with 3M™ VHB™ Tape a virtually indestructible “weld” is created.

Skyscrapers, cell phones, refrigerators … all rely on high-strength bonding tape to complete one or more steps in the assembly process.

Extraordinary strength, conformability, versatility and UV- and weather-resistance makes 3M™ VHB™ Tape great for bonding:

• Glass • Painted surfaces

• Metal • Painted/sealed wood & concrete

• Outdoor & harsh environmental applications

• Plastics • Many more!

what timer brand are you using?

And for those who ask, no, they didn't use VHB tape to mount skyscrapers to the ground

• SRC Member

Actually to wall/cabinet mount your sockets, just ask AA to do it for you since he is setting up your tank. He should be able to advise you and help you do it when the tank and cabinet comes in. Buy the multi socket extension and pass it to him to either drill it in OR use the 3M double sided tape to put it wherever is best for your situation. I am assuming that what you are paying for installation and setup of your system as well and not just the tank and cabinet without piping or setup work.

AS for sand, it's really up to you. THe color is for a purely asthetic reasons. of course if different colors then the contrast will be there. So you have to make the decision on what you want after looking at other people's setups. Your tank is small so you probably only need 1 bag... or less depending on how deep you want your sand bed to be.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Thanks Mr Scientist.

Haha I think we off topic too much le. We take it offline ya.

Back to the "dream tank"..

I think black sand is quite interesting, brings out the colors of the LPS and soft corals at the bottom.

Detritus build up is less obvious too, but it should not be an excuse not to siphon the dirt on the sand bed during maintenance ya. Lol..

• SRC Member
Thanks Mr Scientist. Haha I think we off topic too much le. We take it offline ya. Back to the "dream tank".. I think black sand is quite interesting, brings out the colors of the LPS and soft corals at the bottom. Detritus build up is less obvious too, but it should not be an excuse not to siphon the dirt on the sand bed during maintenance ya. Lol..

I don't think marine snow and black sand mixes well, :P

if you prefer yellow sandbed, might worth a shot to use sulphur beads as part of substrate, save the cost for a sulphur denitrator. I've seen some people doing that, :D

Sulphur beads as substract? Something new.....

It's not a shot worth doing....

For colour of substract why not you browse through the members tank section...alot of examples.

From there you decide what suits you.

• SRC Member
it's not new, many reefers did it as an alternative to dsb. basically some sulphur beads below a thin layer of sand.

Sulphur denitrification is not new, but haven't heard much about sulphur beads below sandbed. It just sounds messy to me. Anyone has any experience?

TS should just keep it simple, save the $$ for lifestock.

Hi all! Thanks for your concern! Let's wait for the tank to come, everyone seemed to be more worried than i am. Im pretty flexible with things, if the chiller cant be placed in the cabinet i'll just put it outside. If its unable to work for my tank size i'll just sell it off and get a new one :) Take a chill pill GUYS!!

Everyone is more worried you are because a lot of us have gone down the same path and are keen for you to avoid the same pitfalls as they did. Thats the purpose of having this reefing community and thats the passion that they have in the hobby and towards reefing buddies. in your shoes, I would be more grateful to those comments and study them closely to shorten learning curve instead of asking them to chill.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Everyone is more worried you are because a lot of us have gone down the same path and are keen for you to avoid the same pitfalls as they did. Thats the purpose of having this reefing community and thats the passion that they have in the hobby and towards reefing buddies. in your shoes, I would be more grateful to those comments and study them closely to shorten learning curve instead of asking them to chill.

Hi there, I get what you mean. Perhaps you did not get what i truly meant. Apologies for not making my post clear enough for you to misunderstand it. I Thanked everyone here who gives me sincere advice.If you go through the entire thread right here, you will see me thanking everyone who had given me advice. I am grateful for them. While I am asking everyone to chill is because there is an overwhelming response and i cannot do anything to change it(unless its something that i havent bought), thats why i said "wait for the tank to come". Orders have already been processed. Changes can only be made when the set arrives wherby I can let the reefers here know the issue and we can hear advices from all experienced reefers who have something to say so I can then modify.

• SRC Member

comycus,

It is also possible to use this method in conjunction with a Jaubert plenum system, and most likely, with a deep sand bed

system. By adding a thin layer of sulfur beads just above the plenum, or bare bottom of the saltwater aquarium in a deep

sand bed, you can use the anaerobic environment there to allow sulfur-based denitrification to occur. This might allow

Jaubert or deep sand bed systems to carry a heavier bioload by increasing their denitrifying capacity. You could also set up

a system in a refugium or adjacent sump to allow you to add such a system to an existing saltwater aquarium without having

to tear it down first

http://www.fishchannel.com/media/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-care/sulfur-reactor.aspx.pdf

TS is? No point spending tons of money on lifestock when you have inadequate filtration. a $1000 fish doesn't mean it can survive in waste laden water, unless that's a robotic fish.

many overseas forums have users that have tried and commented. too many to post over here.

I understand what BELL is trying to say. I am at the same phase her. Items are coming in, can't really do much till arrival of items, maybe then can choose to use, retrofit or sell off.

• SRC Member

Lol let's not bore TS with the various sch of thoughts for denitrification. It would be good if bros utilising plenum+sulphur beads chime in (perhaps in a seperate thread) on their successes with this system, otherwise, I'm as skeptical as bro eniram.

My advice to TS if she's considering this in future is to consider running biopellets. I had my doubts initially but good user feedback prompted me to try and I have had moderate success in controlling nitrates.

TS, your equipment list looks good.

@Madscientist Definitely. Delivery date was delayed due to changes made, order was only processed this tuesday. Estimated delivery date should be 2nd week of July.

@comycus Hi! Thanks! Im officially broke for the month! But its definitely worth it!

I have decided on the following:

• Black and White Mix Live sand
  • Hydor koralia Nano Wave maker
  • Maxspect G2-110W (With Clamp)
  • Bubble Magus Nac QQ Skimmer
  • Fiji Rocks from CF

Cool Bell. Thanks for the clarification. Nice list of eqpt. Just something for you to ponder before you purchase

- Koralia nano - pretty weak.... see if you wanna get a Tunze 6025 instead. Size is slightly bigger but definitely with better circulation

- Maxspect - 110W - with clamp or with the stand that rest on top of the tank? The one with clamp should be smaller 60W version. I recall G2 comes with 2 extendable bars to support the lightset. Also note that the shortest length it can retract to is 2 feet unless you saw away the excess of the stand. else part of it will protrude out when you put on top of your tank.

- BM skimmer - you have an IOS so skimmer choice is pretty limited. just see if there is anyway to put a sponge to trap bubbles from the outlet to prevent them from leaking into to the display tank

- CF rocks.... pricey but worth every penny. 2 thumbs up

- Chiller .. if you wanna get hold of a artica 1/15 hp which I previously used for my 1.5 ft cube. just drop me a pm.

- Rockscape.... you can check out some of the scaping I did previously on my 1.5 ft as reference. tank thread on my signature.

- IOS ... I assume your IOS is compartmentised to have mechnical, biological and chemical filtration. if not, will be good to ask Vincent to build that in.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!