Mini reef tank fit for a mad scientist

MadScientist

• SRC Member

Currently running the MCE600 for cleaning. I am amazed by the performance of this skimmer. It is producing so much bubbles from diluted citric acid till I thought most of the bubbles are coming from the gassing of the acid. Mind you, it's not seawater, just tap water with critic acid.

Unfortunately, I got a bad piece of second hand equipment. No matter how I lubricate, clean and fix tightly, the pump is still very noisy. Irresponsible seller, I guess. At the cost I bought and the cost of the replacement pump, I can get a brand new one with the white pump, ...... Lesson learnt, second hand stuff stinks 50% of the time.

• SRC Member

Available:

Eheim ecco 2233 (impeller-less; took it out to build a DIY fan for stuffy, warm nights)

Eheim classic 2211 (impeller-less; took it out to build a DIY fan for stuffy, warm nights)

Eheim classic 2211 (currently disengaged)

Eheim Pro 2 2024 (currently disengaged)

Eheim Pro 2 2026 (currently disengaged)

Eheim Pro 3 (currently disengaged)

Eheim Universal 1250 (currently driving my impeller-less canisters)

Eheim Compact 300

Eden 501 - currently my prefilter (impeller-less; took it out to build a DIY fan for stuffy, warm nights)

Eden 501 (currently disengaged)

Some cheap LEDs running around, gonna combine them all for ATS and my macroalgae/chaeto filter

5 stages RO/DI filter

1.2L external breeding box

Eheim 1262

Eheim Compact 1000

TLF Phosban Reactor 150

NP Biopellets (2/3 packet)

Tunze Silence 1073.05

H&S 110-F1000 Sulphur Reactor

Maxspect G1 170W

Incoming list:

E.Shine 4G-1 24X3W LED with Dimmer- CREE

Teco TR20 1/3hp

Arctica DBM-250 1/3hp

H&S A150-2001 Skimmer

Hanna phosphorus ULR/calcium/alkalinity Checker HC

Trying to procure list:

Votech mp10/40

Eden 522s

ADA 60P Clear

Eheim Compact+ Marine/Eden Marine Air/Sicce PSK 600/1000/2000/ Eheim universal pump needle wheel impellers

Eheim canisters

Test Kits and Hanna Checker HC range

Biopellet Reactor/ Fluidizing Reactor

Calcium Reactor

Dosing pumps

Salt and additives

• SRC Member

extremely pissed. Spent $350 for a 1262, spoilt 1262 and spoilt MCE 600. Totally irresponsible seller. Now telling me that "1262 can easily get spare part and the skimmer is working I just find it too loud. He's not going to care already". What joke. I need to get a spare impeller with a spare motor body to fix the impeller that's totally stuck to the body! MCE 600 having a very loud humming and rattling sound. I can even hear the body vibrating. And I can get people telling me that it is working. I dare not even switch the pump on now for fear of shaft/impeller shattering.

Lesson learnt. Never, ever buy from that irresponsible guy.

Now, I have to look for 1 more 1262 to power my chillers, :( This hobby is expensive, even when I am getting second hands, :( At least I bought a spoilt 2211 and chiller that spoilt as advertised, :)

• SRC Member

Wah, you still have not made up your mind on the tank size arh.

Seems to me that the equipment you have acquired can hold more water in total than the smaller tank option. Lol.

So why not go for the bigger option if your table can withstand the weight?

• SRC Member

Patience is important in this hobby, =pHaha, i tend to oversize my equipment. People have sump and ios, i have sif (sump in filter).

The smaller tank is a 2nd hand for $50, bigger would be a 1st hand for $180. Pocket shallower than a piece of paper. i do not want to regret after getting the tank, hence, here i am seeking opinions.My table can support, but my pocket, oh well.

extremely pissed. Spent $350 for a 1262, spoilt 1262 and spoilt MCE 600. Totally irresponsible seller. Now telling me that "1262 can easily get spare part and the skimmer is working I just find it too loud. He's not going to care already". What joke. I need to get a spare impeller with a spare motor body to fix the impeller that's totally stuck to the body! MCE 600 having a very loud humming and rattling sound. I can even hear the body vibrating. And I can get people telling me that it is working. I dare not even switch the pump on now for fear of shaft/impeller shattering.

Lesson learnt. Never, ever buy from that irresponsible guy.

Now, I have to look for 1 more 1262 to power my chillers, :( This hobby is expensive, even when I am getting second hands, :( At least I bought a spoilt 2211 and chiller that spoilt as advertised, :)

How bad is the humming or rattling sound? If its just a hum it's normal. Deltec has been finding ways to silence that to no avail. Still has some humming sound. But if it's rattling, might be a case of shorten or broken impeller. It will be worth to tear it down and check

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

My tank is finally up. Starting cycling with prawn.

Technical specifications of tank:

170x120x150mm

Max vol of 3.06L

IOS driven by a restricted eheim compact 300,approximately 150L/h

Mechanical: black filter sponge

Chemical: rowaphos, seachem purigen, seachem matrix carbon, diy protein skimmer

Biological: seachem matrix

post-1424-13428683650841_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

woah.. this is a really small tank to be honest.. given all ur equipments u bought and owned, i thought you will be going for a much larger tank.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

woah.. this is a really small tank to be honest.. given all ur equipments u bought and owned, i thought you will be going for a much larger tank.

haha, due to lack of budget, have to slowly gather equipment. I am still missing a few pieces of equipment to start a 2ft. Once I have all the equipment, I will run both tanks.

Be it a large or small tank, both have their charms.

Good practice for me with a pico tank. Easy to reset all parameters if things go out of way.

• SRC Member

haha, due to lack of budget, have to slowly gather equipment. I am still missing a few pieces of equipment to start a 2ft. Once I have all the equipment, I will run both tanks.

Be it a large or small tank, both have their charms.

Good practice for me with a pico tank. Easy to reset all parameters if things go out of way.

true enough ;) will be staying tuned to see u set up ur 2ft tank :D

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :