HELP...Clown fish have Patch on Body

• Sponsor

Hi, I hate to say this but I think the poor fellow has clownfish disease :o or Brookylnella hostilis. According to references from "Dr Aqua" affected fish develop body lesions, excessive slime secretion, and increased respiration. In the early stages of the disease all that is noticed is an abnormal paleness of color and a rapid breathing rate. As the disease worsens, lesions will be observed on the body, with sloughing of the skin and mucus. The development of a secondary infection with bacteria often accompanies infestation with the parasite. Clownfish Disease is capable of killing fish within 24 to 36 hours after appearance of the signs of scratching and heavy respiration.

Recommended medication : Formalin or Malachite Green (reef safe), normally sold as a medication for ectoparasites. Can try AZOO or Myxzin..if contain copper, make sure you have no invertebrates in tank :blink:

• SRC Member
Thats very sad... so wat i do about it????/ should seperate it from my tank???? will it affect my other fishes???

if u use copper based medication..better remove from ur main tank, put into a quarantine tank.. add in the medication.. till it recovers..sadly..clown fishes easy kana this kind of 'patch' disease..

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
Is it jus the clown fish with all these probs... r wat??..my tank parameters all ok leh

sometimes it's not ur tank prob..it's when u purchase it..maybe already got a small patch, it's juz u nv notice, like Eaquarist said, it spread real fast..

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

monitor closely,

clownfish disease forms a mucus like layer on the clownfish body...

wat u described is a small patch of colour fade?

maybe a small problem due to stress in shipment n handling....

it wld be best if u can attach a pix so that we can help u identify betta... :)

actually, as long as the fishes has gone thru quarantine and are doing well, any of the LFS is alright.

The source may be important as well, some LFS may provide fishes that are hand caught, some ae caught in the local region using cynide. The fish could look OK but they wont last very long in our tank because of the damage done during the handling and catching phase...

You can try CF...they have one of the top quality LS around. But again, quality stuff may command slight premium price as well. Sometimes, check out places like SL and PR.....ML also has quality fishes coming in from Sri Lanka quite often as well.

Not been to our new sponsors' shops yet, so cant recommend, check it out with them as well.

• 5 weeks later...

All,

I notice this symptoms on my crown which I just got as well as well. Got 2 both infected with skin colour paling.

I have 4 small shrimps in the tank as well. I do not have any other LS in the tank. Unfortunately I have not invested in a quarantine tank.

Is it ok to use malchite green together with the inverts in the same tank?

Can anyone advise pls?

BTW both crowns still feeding ok this evening when I fed then.

I hope its not at critical stage and still in time for me to buy medication for them.

I am currently mixing their food (frozen mysis or frozen brine shrimp) in garlic guard before feeding. What else can be done to prevent future infection, sickness?

Quite desperate. Currently my 2 and only fish in my new setup. Water parameters are all ok.