Controlling algae blooms

• SRC Member

Interesting... Phosphates control holds the key... Wonder of there are other competing points of view...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

http://reefkeeping.c...9/rhf/index.php

Most test kits only detect inorganic phosphates.

To remove organic phosphates before they can turn into inorganic phosphates you would need a very efficient protein skimmer, coupled with optimal tank turnover rates and skimmer turnover rate.

You may also add products like It's Clear (a product that is based on chitosan) to help coagulate organic phosphates for more efficient removal by the skimmer or if you are running ULNS the bacteria will absorb organic phosphate and the bacteria mulm will be skimmed out by the skimmer.

You can have 0 reading inorganic phosphate reading but still have algae problems, as there is constant supply of organic phosphates that is quickly taken up by algae/cyanobacteria before they can be converted to inorganic phosphates.

First line of battle is to tackle organic phosphates as they are formed, rather than tackling inorganic phosphates as the end product.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Just to share my experience but its FW pond experience. Not sure if its applicable. In FW Phosphate is also the cause for green algae, this is especially so for tanks or pond that has direct sunlight. My house used to have a dugged in pond in the front yard. When we first started we had issues as the walls of the pond is slimmy and greenish. This do nt have much impact as its dugged in. But with time the water also becum greenish. What we did was to increase the flow rate and increase the frequency of the white wool washing. We also stack up white wool (mechanical filteration). The water cleared within a week.

For tanks, I know some people use UV light.

BTW, the pond used to house sting rays hence we did not want to use chemical to remove the algae boom.

• 7 months later...

I read that page and found it helpful for me . I think we are all should research on these things and try to find out better solution of these problems which is also necessary for us.To remove organic phosphates before they can turn into inorganic phosphates you would need a very efficient protein .

• 1 month later...