Advantages and disadvantages of a canister filter.

• SRC Member

i understand that majority of people go for sump tank or IOS at least and it seems like only a small number go for canister.. my question is what are the other disadvantages canister filter has other than having lesser total water volume as compared to sump? does clogging of wools and media inside a canister increase nitrate? And isn't IOS similar to canister filter just that its open-top? i understand sump and IOS can have skimmers/refugime but canister cant.. there isn't much info here in SRC so i hope someone who own before all 3 canister,sump and IOS can share why u chose either one of the system.. and people who remain by canister filters why do u not make the switch?

Currently planning a 2x1.5x1.5/2ft cube tank and i have a Fluval Fx5 (2300l/hr) running on my 422(freshwater) tank. which i am thinking of using it for my future tank and it can be connected straight to a chiller, and flow back tank through the chiller..

Thanks in advance!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Bro, I'm not a pro. I'm running a 45cm cube. I first used a canister filter and after some time, the dirt inside is too much and so troublesome to.clean. the filter also not strong enough unless you really have a small tank and run on canister. The amount of media you can put in sump is much more than your canister.

• SRC Member

Bro, I'm not a pro. I'm running a 45cm cube. I first used a canister filter and after some time, the dirt inside is too much and so troublesome to.clean. the filter also not strong enough unless you really have a small tank and run on canister. The amount of media you can put in sump is much more than your canister.

Thanks for your reply bro, so u switched to a sump system? sump tank also uses wool to trap dirt right? so the main thing is that sump is easier to replace/clean the wool?

After some reading online, it seems that the main problem of canister filter is that people tend to get too lazy to clean their filter.. that in return traps too much dirt and oxygenated water passed through the dirt and it end up producing nitrates.. am i right?

• SRC Member

those who use canister filters most prob, their tank not drilled. therefore, they stick by it till they get a new tank or reset everything.

i used a canister filter and cleaning it was a pia. and not to mention that its a nitrate factory if you dont clean it regularly.

go for a sump bro. i was in your shoes once and went the easy way by going with the equipments i have which was a canister filter. it feels so easy to just plug and play and you have a marine tank. till you get too lazy to clean the canister filter. then the problem sets in.

not to mention, as you delve further in this hobby, you would end up getting more equips like ATOs, FRs and all this which a sump can hold nicely.

hope this helps. cheers :thumbsup:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Thanks for your reply bro, so u switched to a sump system? sump tank also uses wool to trap dirt right? so the main thing is that sump is easier to replace/clean the wool?

After some reading online, it seems that the main problem of canister filter is that people tend to get too lazy to clean their filter.. that in return traps too much dirt and oxygenated water passed through the dirt and it end up producing nitrates.. am i right?

bro, sump is definitely better.yes i've switched to a sump. i didnt have hole in the tank resulting i have to get a overflow box. its works fine.

another thing i like about sump is the placement of skimmer and return pump. return pump will help you create a flow in the tank. my canister filter didnt do that as its too weak.

• SRC Member

those who use canister filters most prob, their tank not drilled. therefore, they stick by it till they get a new tank or reset everything.

i used a canister filter and cleaning it was a pia. and not to mention that its a nitrate factory if you dont clean it regularly.

go for a sump bro. i was in your shoes once and went the easy way by going with the equipments i have which was a canister filter. it feels so easy to just plug and play and you have a marine tank. till you get too lazy to clean the canister filter. then the problem sets in.

not to mention, as you delve further in this hobby, you would end up getting more equips like ATOs, FRs and all this which a sump can hold nicely.

hope this helps. cheers :thumbsup:

I believe a overflow box will solve this problem... yea i read that best result is to clean once a week ( that will be torturing as cleaning the fx5 is not easy at all) im leaning toward sump tank now..

bro, sump is definitely better.yes i've switched to a sump. i didnt have hole in the tank resulting i have to get a overflow box. its works fine.

another thing i like about sump is the placement of skimmer and return pump. return pump will help you create a flow in the tank. my canister filter didnt do that as its too weak.

Bro can share where you got ur overflow box? can pm me if possible? thanks!

• SRC Member

U can just have live rocks in cannister. Not mechanical filtration. Also, adv is pump is external. This means tank runs cooler as heat doesn't get transferred to water. Bro jasonpoh runs something like that.. without chiller as well.. tank is amazing.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I am using a canister filter for my JBJ 28G. I lay off reefing for a few years and got back in recently. I definitely agree with the others that running a sump is a better way of managing your reef. I ran the canister filter as a fuss-free option with the JBJ. Using mostly rocks and bio-home, I can stock a little more corals and dampen any nitrate and ammonia spike together with over skimming through the MCE 600.

In a home setting, what is important is reliability and peace of mind IMO. I ever used an overflow pipe in my previous setup, and was shocked to wake up one fine morning with the floor flooded.