"MONTI CAP" EATING NUDI

• SRC Member

I also saw big patches of "whittening" surface on the underside. Closer observation and I found these nudi.

Same description as in http://www.aquarium-design.com/parasite.html

Pls also read http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...di&pagenumber=1

Use screw driver and tooth brush to scrape off these nudi. In the process, broke the monti and damage certain surfaces. Hopefully, they will recover fast without these parasites.

post-22-1075054251.jpg

• SRC Member

That's a nasty nudi! I had the same thing happen to one of my green caps several weeks ago. Fortunately, they are pretty easy to get rid off. Just need to make sure you spot and kill everyone of them. They also feed on porites.

I removed my monti cap... took a small screwdriver and crushed those nasty buggers and rinsed it in a cup of water from the tank.

Those in your pic look like juvenile nudis... I once caught a 1.5inch "mama" feeding on my porites. White hairy like thing. Before that, I was wondering why one of my porites started to develop dead-white patches. You may want to monitor you montis and porites closely over the next few days, especially after the lights go out.

A wrasse may take care of such a problem. Have you got one?

• SRC Member
That's a nasty nudi! I had the same thing happen to one of my green caps several weeks ago. Fortunately, they are pretty easy to get rid off. Just need to make sure you spot and kill everyone of them. They also feed on porites.

I removed my monti cap... took a small screwdriver and crushed those nasty buggers and rinsed it in a cup of water from the tank.

Those in your pic look like juvenile nudis... I once caught a 1.5inch "mama" feeding on my porites. White hairy like thing. Before that, I was wondering why one of my porites started to develop dead-white patches. You may want to monitor you montis and porites closely over the next few days, especially after the lights go out.

A wrasse may take care of such a problem. Have you got one?

My Band of Brothers -> Leopard Wrasse took care of these Nudi + flat worms. It's a hit or miss with these wrasses.......you might not end up with one that eat Nudi or flat worms, but chase any tom-dick ot hairy within the tanl to HELL :evil:

Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Was appreciating how this monti cap has recovered along the margin and discovered more white patches as well as a tiny portion whereby little monti tissue "flying". I thought "RTN" and to my horror, I saw the nasty nudi. :angry:

This time, my monti cap has become monti frags. The colony was badly infested and I need to break it apart to get into hidden and inaccessable areas.

Heart pain :cry: as the purple colouration has just begun to deepen

Hopefully, this will be my last massacre.

Hopefully, my other monti cap/foliossa is ok as I got no time to check

Recently, my sifu's purple monti cap (same type as mine) was totally consumed/destroyed by these nudi and his monti folio was badly damaged too.

Reefer with the same monti better keep a lookout for these evils.