crystal pro ro/di vs ZeRO EX 4- RO/DI 4 Stages

inwear

• SRC Member

Anyone who use one the above. pls advice me the pro & con.thks

maybe u wan to provide the specs of the model u comparing. I'm using zerox... should be 5stage. the ro membrane is the last stage. bear in mind if u living in hdb, n high floor, u might need a booster pump. better buy from a seller with booster pump on hand So tat u dun need to source for 1.

To me, all rodi units built all using similar housing. the filter media are the ones sort of mine is better than others... etc. etc. they all do their job.

Maybe should look into easy replacement of media n media pricing. The less u utilize the unit, the longer the media last I suppose.

So important thing is product support.

• Like 1

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member
maybe u wan to provide the specs of the model u comparing. I'm using zerox... should be 5stage. the ro membrane is the last stage. bear in mind if u living in hdb, n high floor, u might need a booster pump. better buy from a seller with booster pump on hand So tat u dun need to source for 1.

To me, all rodi units built all using similar housing. the filter media are the ones sort of mine is better than others... etc. etc. they all do their job.

Maybe should look into easy replacement of media n media pricing. The less u utilize the unit, the longer the media last I suppose.

Isn't ro supposed to be first stage?

• SRC Member

i am eyeing the 4 stage. I be dropping madpetz this sat to view zero ex 4.

• SRC Member

do u used a boaster pump ? Where did u purchased it ?

• SRC Member

do u used a boaster pump ? Where did u purchased it ?

I got from Madpetz. my pressure is extremely low at 12psi. min working pressure 40-45psi. higher pressure is better. So I got a booster pump from madpetz n Ken installed for me.

the ro unit should get the higher gal type. I'm using 200gal. 1 part purified water to 3 part waste, which goes into my washing machine

Power consumption

• SRC Member

Thks brought. Btw i bought my 5 stage frm Ken yesterday. very solid build. Value for money

So how's yr water pressure? need pump?

Power consumption

• SRC Member

So how's yr water pressure? need pump?

my fitting was incorrect. it should hv been 0.5 itches instead of 3/4itches. ..just went dwn to madpetz to replace. Try out tomorrow morning. Bypass ro so should not be a real issue

• SRC Member

yeah, have seen their web, seems like their media prices are cheaper than crystal pro's. have already placed an order with Madpetz for their DI 3 stage.

yes and i bought the 5 stage system last week. Never look back.i ever tasted my treated water. Tasted dry & sweet. Kinda like your regular Perray

I'd STRONGLY recommend to use Zero RO/DI. I've been a crystal pro user for sometime. Recently, there were spate of inferior resins that resulted very poor readings... A NEWLY bought replacement resin with numerous rinsing hours, reads 20-30PPM from a NEW TDS meter. Believe it or not, I have people that can vouch all that (Aquamarin and PetMart).. Trust me bros (reefers), this is NOT an advertisment for Zero product, every word is from the bottom of my heart...

Zero, on the other hand, reads 0 even without the hassle or need to rinse them when freshly prepared. A low steady stream will perfect the reading at 0. Don't believe, buy a unit and try it out. *I'm using crystal pro single stage canister to house zero cartridge. With mixture of carbon and resins, cartridge fits well into a crystal pro canister.

Lastly, Zero OR Crystal, I'd choose what's best for my reef. Not forgetting a safe and permanent solution that keeps every reefing fun and lasting...

Cheers

I share knowledge, interest & passion in reefing.. NOT by showing them off...

• SRC Member

I'd STRONGLY recommend to use Zero RO/DI. I've been a crystal pro user for sometime. Recently, there were spate of inferior resins that resulted very poor readings... A NEWLY bought replacement resin with numerous rinsing hours, reads 20-30PPM from a NEW TDS meter. Believe it or not, I have people that can vouch all that (Aquamarin and PetMart).. Trust me bros (reefers), this is NOT an advertisment for Zero product, every word is from the bottom of my heart...

Zero, on the other hand, reads 0 even without the hassle or need to rinse them when freshly prepared. A low steady stream will perfect the reading at 0. Don't believe, buy a unit and try it out. *I'm using crystal pro single stage canister to house zero cartridge. With mixture of carbon and resins, cartridge fits well into a crystal pro canister.

Lastly, Zero OR Crystal, I'd choose what's best for my reef. Not forgetting a safe and permanent solution that keeps every reefing fun and lasting...

Zero carbon and DI are much cost effective

Cheers

• 6 months later...

I don't wanna start another thread about ro/di, so i'm gonna dig this up,

I have a ro/di (not sure the brand, looks very big to me with more than 5 cylinders and a big body.) used for drinking at home.

can they be used for aquarium as well?

thanks

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

I don't wanna start another thread about ro/di, so i'm gonna dig this up,

I have a ro/di (not sure the brand, looks very big to me with more than 5 cylinders and a big body.) used for drinking at home.

can they be used for aquarium as well?

thanks

Use a TDS tester, if the TDS is below 8, should be fine.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I started using crystal pro cartridge in my Kent Marine Deion 2 filter and it works well for my tank. the crystal pro cartridge cheaper and seems to last relatively long with TDS readings of zero with 25% water change every week or two for my 3.5 ft tank. Just make sure you check the readings regularly. thks.

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers. Need advice here. I have just bought Crystal Plus (Only 1 stage with DI resin, no carbon) & my TDS readings is between 75 to 90. I have used 2 TDS meter & their readings tally. I have already flushed out 4 big pails of water & the reading, lowest I can get is 75. Don't know what is wrong here. Is it because the default package comes with 10meghom type DI resin & need to change to the 18meghom type? Or is it because there is no carbon before the DI resin, that is why the TDS is high or something else. And lastly, do we really need a carbon in the first place, does the resin not remove chlorine from the tap water? Really need help here, spend 100 bucks to get something that does not meet the requipment is not a pleasant experience. Thanks in advance. :(

Hi fellow reefers. Need advice here. I have just bought Crystal Plus (Only 1 stage with DI resin, no carbon) & my TDS readings is between 75 to 90. I have used 2 TDS meter & their readings tally. I have already flushed out 4 big pails of water & the reading, lowest I can get is 75. Don't know what is wrong here. Is it because the default package comes with 10meghom type DI resin & need to change to the 18meghom type? Or is it because there is no carbon before the DI resin, that is why the TDS is high or something else. And lastly, do we really need a carbon in the first place, does the resin not remove chlorine from the tap water? Really need help here, spend 100 bucks to get something that does not meet the requipment is not a pleasant experience. Thanks in advance. :(

Did u turn on the tap till full or only turn on slightly and agree the DI unit to dip drop by drop? For 1 stage, u will have to turn on the tap slightly and the flow rate of the tap must be so slow that the outlet of the DI unit is drop by drop in order to get TDS 0.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Drop by drop! No, low flow. Ok, I later try out drop by drop. Thanks Bro mengyang-neo. So bro, one more question, in order to get higher flow & have 0 TDS, do I have to get at least a 3 stage DI or more?