Setting Up a Lion Tank (den)

• SRC Member

I am thinking of setting up a FOWLR, Lion tank .. 2.5x1.5x2

1) Anyone has a setup that could possibly show an example? or links directing me to lion's lover ..

2) What are the things I should look out for? which lion easlier & better ..

3) What are the tank mate possible?

4) what are the chances it will fail ... :(

PLs advise .. thanks in advance!!

All comments welcome ..

mydog.gif

• Sponsor

Hi there, I have a 1.5 ft Lionfish FOWLR set-up some time ago at the shop but dismantled already due to changes in retail space use...it was fun :D

Some things I learnt from the set-up that I hope will be useful.

1. Do not put lions of very different size together, the smaller will be eaten if it fits the mouth.

2. I would advice not to put them with triggers or big wrasses, tend to nip at their fins and snatch their food, Anthony's lucky to have a nice clown trigger

3. Try to give them subdued lighting, Lions are naturally nocturnal fish

4. Feed sparingly, once in three days or a week as they often overeat and die

5. The hardiest that I have kept is the P.Volitans (the black version) but they grow big. The dwarf zebras are also quite tough. Avoid the P.antennae with the nice thin white finnage as they often fail to survive the collection process. Fish with white entrails and blur eyes should never be purchased :o

Enjoy your set-up, it will capture lots of attention, just don't overfeed them to please curious spectators. ;)

• SRC Member

Hi Nicky,

i'm a lion fanatic! I reckon a 2.5 ft is a little small to keep lions unless u intend to keep only one or two as an adult needs at least 30 gallon each. And dun forget that they grow damn fast. Provide caves when scaping your tank if u intend to keep the small lions as they are more timid and needed dark spots to hide to feel secure. As they grow bigger, probably 4-5 inches, they will prefer open water as they get more bold especially during feeding time. Volitans are generally easier to ween to frozen food when compared to their cousins. Try to get the smaller species as the bigger ones will be a little bit harder to ween. Well, when it comes to training them to take frozen food, patience is the key. You can try using lance fish is you encounter a stubborn eater. Lions tend to shred when good water quality diminishes, so dun be alarmed but just change water accordingly. I feed mine with market prawn marinated garlic guard and vitachem. Once in a while, i do feed them with "nemos" to keep their predator instinct alive.

I currently keeps three in a 100 gallon tank. Its a mix reef tank with hardy corals. Do take care of your bioload too and they are messy eater and they poo alot too in big chuncks. A good protein skimmer might help in this case. Partial water change once every two weeks is a must i reckon. They can also be quite "fragile" so do take care of your water quality. The common "cloudy eyes" in lions is a result of having too much nitrate and phrosphate, if i spell that correctly. Forget about peroxide dip, just get the water to top quality and they will heal in no time.

Have fun and hope this helps. :evil::evil::evil:

Oh btw, do invite me to go check out your lions once its set up!

• SRC Member

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

ANGRY, ur intro is superb

:bow::bow::bow:

1) what is lance fish?

2) invite u ?? :paiseh: lah .. u can show a pic of urs?

3) was considering fuzzy, dwarf zebras and P.Volitans (the black version) ya small-3max med-2max

saw some today at pasir ris but no buy .. better hear more from u guys first ...

4) paiseh, 2.5x1.5x2 is how many gallon har ..

(paiseh .. a bit lazy ... & rushing downstair to walk dog liao)

5) i using seaclone.. i reckon it shld be gd enough for 2-3lions

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Nicky,

Thx for the compliment. I'm no expert btw:)

1) what is lance fish? - its our so called ikan billis, can get them from re$%^& but i think they come in big sizes. Not sure if it will fit into the dwarf's.

2) invite u ?? lah .. u can show a pic of urs? - i will be posting soon when i come back from overseas. Tank not fully stocked yet:)

3) was considering fuzzy, dwarf zebras and P.Volitans (the black version) ya small

saw some today at pasir ris but no buy .. better hear more from u guys first ...-3max med-2max - be careful of the black ones, they really do turn very black haaahaaahaa, i have one like that. Not sure abt the black P.Volitans in black tho bro.

(paiseh .. a bit lazy ... & rushing downstair to walk dog liao) - i also dunno, go to some website to check out their calculator. Dun be lazy lah :)

5) i using seaclone.. i reckon it shld be gd enough for 2-3lions - not sure abt this bro.

I'm no expert in this btw, just sharing my experience:) Good luck and have fun.

Hey do invite me to check it out when its done yeah!

• SRC Member
:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

ANGRY, ur intro is superb 

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:

1) what is lance fish?

2) invite u ?? :paiseh: lah .. u can show a pic of urs?

3) was considering fuzzy, dwarf zebras and P.Volitans (the black version) ya small-3max med-2max

saw some today at pasir ris but no buy .. better hear more from u guys first ...

(paiseh .. a bit lazy ... & rushing downstair to walk dog liao)

5) i using seaclone.. i reckon it shld be gd enough for 2-3lions

nicky30092002,

Which LFS in Pasir Ris did you see the Lionfish?

Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

Is this the one near Reef World? I've been to Reef World a couple of times but some how can't seem to be able to locate Pacific Marine.

From the road facing Reef World, is Pacific Marine on the right or left or behind Reef World?

Thanks in advance!

:):):)

:off:

Along reeworld, you'll find a lane on your right, turn in, the firest right turn, turn right then you'll see LFS (tropical aquarium or something)drive up the small slope, pacific marine is hiding behind)

• SRC Member
:off:

Along reeworld, you'll find a lane on your right, turn in, the firest right turn, turn right then you'll see LFS (tropical aquarium or something)drive up the small slope, pacific marine is hiding behind)

Thanks DeepBlue, I'll go and recce this Sunday. Not driving so exploring on foot.

Thanks again.

:)