Sump config for marine tank

• SRC Member

Hi all, got bitten by the marine bug with my recent office nano/pico and have decided to set up a 322 at home. I'll be using a 2x1.5x1.5 sump as the filtration system for this and need some advice on how to configure the sump.

As I understand it, for marine, the live rock and live sand acts as the colonising media for the beneficial bacteria and thus actual filter media is not required. The sump is supposed to act as a place to store equipment and perhaps a refugium.

I'm not sure yet if my sump will be 2 compartment or 3 compartment, but I'm wondering what's the best stuff to put in each compartment of the sump.

If 3 compartment, I'm thinking as follows:

Compartment 1: Overflow pipe from tank with filter sock + skimmer

Compartment 2: DSB + Macroalgae OR Algae scrubber OR phosphate reactor + Biopellet reactor

Compartment 3: Return pump + chiller pump

In brief, compartment 1 is for skimming the water that comes in from the tank, compartment 2 is for reduction of nitrates and phosphates and compartment 3 is the pump section.

If 2 compartment, thinking out of the box, I'm trying to do this:

Compartment 1: Overflow pipe from tank with filter sock + Return pump + skimmer

Compartment 2: Tee off from overflow pump + DSB + Macroalgae

Basically, water flows down from display section and is split into 2, 1/2 goes into Compartment 1, 1/2 goes into Compartment 2. Compartment 2 is the Refugium/DSB area which will overflow back into Compartment 1. Compartment 1 also contains the return pump and skimmer.

To cut down on heat in the tank (and reduce the number of pumps in the sump), I'm trying to avoid using the 2x reactors. However, is a DSB refugium recommended? Is it effective to remove nitrates and phosphates? I will probably use a Beamswork LED light to light the refugium (the 9W clip on one that I'm using for my office tank should be good enough).

Final question, for freshwater sumps, the tank maker usually puts a slope in the floor of the first compartment. This would not work well for my skimmer. Should I ask him not to put a slope? Would this be bad for my marine tank?

Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

Someone suggested to me to have just a 2 compartment sump:

Compartment 1: Filter sock + Skimmer

Compartment 2: Return pump + Algae scrubber + Biopellet Reactor (optional)

Any thoughts? Or Compartment 2 can be Return pump + hang-on basket with macroalgae?

• SRC Member

I suggest 3 compartments. It gives you more flexibility if you make changes to your sump equipment down the road.

Note:

- Place you skimmer in a compartment with constant water level.

- DSB will accumulate toxin if you don't maintain it.

- If you keep Macroalgae, filter the water overflowing into the return pump compartment. Break off pieces of Macroalgae will jam your pump impeller over time.

• SRC Member

Someone suggested to me to have just a 2 compartment sump:

Compartment 1: Filter sock + Skimmer

Compartment 2: Return pump + Algae scrubber + Biopellet Reactor (optional)

Any thoughts? Or Compartment 2 can be Return pump + hang-on basket with macroalgae?

biopellet reactor should put before the skimmer if not your water may become cloudy

• SRC Member

Whats the difference between using DSB n Refugium Mud?

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

Whats the difference between using DSB n Refugium Mud?

mud supposed to have more nutrients for growing algae, and can achieve anaerobic conditions with shallower bed, but I would definitely recommend capping it with an inch of coarser sand to prevent the mud from flying all over if you using mud.

• SRC Member

Btw, how to do an external Refugium? I thinking of external refugium to hang on top of my current sump... its a saver rather than doing another sump..

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Well just as an update, I'll be going with a 2 compartment sump, due to the chiller in my cabinet not giving me enough space for a larger sump. Sump will be 18" cube.

I'm intending to run the sump as follows:

1st compartment: Filter sock + Skimmer (the skimmer needs the constant water level)

2nd compartment: Return pump + Chiller pump + Reactor pump + Reactor (biopellets)

Would like to check something. If I intend to run GAC as well, can I connect the carbon reactor in series with the biopellet reactor and power them using the same pump? Would it be possible to share pump with chiller as follows: Chiller pump -> Chiller -> Reactor 1 -> Reactor 2 ? I was thinking of using an Eheim Compact 3000 for this purpose.

• SRC Member

Chiller in cabinet? Pls dun try that unless u can give it a good ventilation... I tried placing my chiller into my cabinet, it runs 24hrs non stop, chiller overheat, tank unable to get required tempreature..

Chiller pump ->chiller->reactor 1-> reactor 2-> there is a problem with that... to use reactor u have to tune it down so that ur media wont fly around inside ur reactor violently.. U need to set it to simmering effect... therefore it it will disturb ur chiller flow and making it worst since ur planing to place ur chiller inside ur cabinet...

I would highly recommend u to place ur chiller out of the cabinet unless u can provide ample amount of ventilation and run it on its own pump. as for ur reactor, u can use 1 single pump with a Y connector so u can use 1 pump to run 2 reactors individually. And btw for GAC, u can acually run it without a reactor, u can just dump it anywhere in ur sump with a media bag provided

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Not much choice due to space and wife constraints. I have a 3.5ft space for the entire cabinet+tank to go in. Wife insists that everything must be contained in that space and all equipment out of sight inside the cabinet.

What I have done is to get my tank maker to cut slots in the door right in front of where the chiller is as well as to enlarge the hole at the back of the cabinet. The slots will be at the bottom of the door and not the top. Also installed a fan in the cabinet that will suck air out. With the increased holes in the cabinet and the fan sucking air out, I hope to create sufficient airflow to provide good ventilation for the chiller.

• SRC Member

LoL.. Commanding Officer say liao must follow.. haha... Yeap do provide ventilation... get the fan to suck of the hot air is good....

But remember tho.. Dont attached ur FR to Chiller Pump... Chiller needs a stand alone pump... but 2 FR can be use for 1 pump.. need to improvise

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

Btw, how to do an external Refugium? I thinking of external refugium to hang on top of my current sump... its a saver rather than doing another sump..

bro you can refer to bro eniram's thread regarding this.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

thanks mate

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

• SRC Member

go ikea get those black colour storage box. drill 2 holes then internally improvise abit. that will be external refugium to keep cheato

• SRC Member

that box seem big leh... i think I'm going to make it out of Acrylic.. Bottom, Back, Side - Black.. Front colourless...

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

Not much choice due to space and wife constraints. I have a 3.5ft space for the entire cabinet+tank to go in. Wife insists that everything must be contained in that space and all equipment out of sight inside the cabinet.

What I have done is to get my tank maker to cut slots in the door right in front of where the chiller is as well as to enlarge the hole at the back of the cabinet. The slots will be at the bottom of the door and not the top. Also installed a fan in the cabinet that will suck air out. With the increased holes in the cabinet and the fan sucking air out, I hope to create sufficient airflow to provide good ventilation for the chiller.

Hi Bro, I would like to share with u my experience with the chiller in the cabinet. Something to take note,

1) My 1/4 H Artica installed in the cabinet with sloted holes in front and a Fan behind to suck out the hot air. One fan is not enough, should have installed at least 2 Fans.

2) Please take note that if you want the chiller pump and the return pump to main tank in the same compartment, you might need to plan the return from chiller to be in another compartment or go direct to the main display tank.

Hope it helps..... :) Enjoy the process........ :)

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO