Newbie from freshwater

Hi everyone I am new here currently will wish to convert my 2ft planted to a 2ft nano marine setup I hope to have everyone's guidance & patience aling the way to this new hobby.

Please advise if it is possible to keep a seahorse or dwarf lionfish setup using the old stuffs below?

What other things do I need other than a additional protein skimmer?

My current equipments left over are:

Tank: 2ft length x 1ft width x 1.8ft height

Lightset: 3x 2ft tube T5HO

Chiller: Hailea 150A

Filter: Boyu EF 35 (950L/Hr)

For keeping lion fish maybe still ok, since it is pretty hardy but seahorses are more sensitive and require better water parameters which a canister filter can't handle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have do away with the 2ft tank and starting a pico tank with HOF and a led light from AquaMarine. Presently cycling the tank with the water I purchase, live rocks & my filter is stuff with a bag of carbon recommended by the shop assistance (pino lady).

I wish to know which are the must have test kits for marine? Currently have ammonia, ph & nitrite. I was told these are enough by her.

Will be using the tank only as a zoa only tank is it possible to have such a tank at 28dC?

• SRC Member

Zoa 28dC is okay.

For a pico tank, routine water changes is mandatory. By keeping zoas only, you should only need to monitor salinity, because once cycled NH3 NO2 should not be an issue (only an issue if you suddenly introduce high bio load). Since you need to do routine water changes (distiller water or DI water), NO3 and PO4 will not be a problem. Presence of various algae can be used as good indicator of NO3 and PO4.

Thus the conclusion is that during cycling you need NH3 NO2 (if got NO3 will be better but we can aasume if NH3 and NO2 have gone down from the spike, NO3 is up). After cycling you should only need a hydrometer or refractometer.