No sand for Marine Tank ??

Gideon

• SRC Member

Not too sure but im a sand person... My main use for sand is primarily aesthetics & probably another body for beneficial bacteria to host... :D

I think the deep sand bed thingy doesnt seem that popular nowadays so i kinda remember reading somewhere that if want sand best not to have it too think else sudden disturbance of the sand may result in release of trapped "toxins", tipping the balance of the system... U could do a search on this :cheers:

Oh ya, another benefit going bare bottom - no sand storm in the tank :P

send via tapa

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Deep sand bed may cause no3 to build up.. sand storm in tank also n chances of scatching glass surface.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• 2 weeks later...

regret putting sand into my setup..... it becomes very dirty after awhile. if you want aesthetics, i suggest you use undergravel filter and direct the pump into your sump.

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin

It depends on what type of tanks.

For reef tank, it is advisable to have sand. Keep fishes that does not bomb a lot, tangs are out and angels are out too. Less feeding type of fishes, less dirty in the sands. Coral foods are not so dirty as compared with pellets. So if you are keeping reef tanks, try to choose the fishes that required not to feed a lot, such as clownfish, dart fish, Cardinalfish, etc. If you look at the display tank in any lfs, you will notice the fishes in the tank are slim not fat, eg AM, etc.

For FOWLR tank, no sand are recommended as you tend to fish B21 bomber type of fish.

• SRC Member

regret putting sand into my setup..... it becomes very dirty after awhile. if you want aesthetics, i suggest you use undergravel filter and direct the pump into your sump.

Undergravel filter is highly not recommended.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

It depends on what type of tanks.

For reef tank, it is advisable to have sand. Keep fishes that does not bomb a lot, tangs are out and angels are out too. Less feeding type of fishes, less dirty in the sands. Coral foods are not so dirty as compared with pellets. So if you are keeping reef tanks, try to choose the fishes that required not to feed a lot, such as clownfish, dart fish, Cardinalfish, etc. If you look at the display tank in any lfs, you will notice the fishes in the tank are slim not fat, eg AM, etc.

For FOWLR tank, no sand are recommended as you tend to fish B21 bomber type of fish.

Not really true, since having a sand bed offer additional biological filtration for the tank as well. If you want to keep wrasse and some goby require a sand bed to sleep and do well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i also like sand bed so i keep 6 inch dsb in sump and 1 inch in DT. i used purposely stir the sand bed in the DT to clear the dirt until i bought a watchman goby which now keeps the sand clear like new. used to also have cyano forming on the sand every week after i stirred it now the goby cleared it as well :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have sand bed for many years and got to fight with water parameters, especially high N03, than decided to go bare bottom, now all spa frags growing wild. This is the first time in more than 5 years of reeling that I look at my tanks daily with satisfaction and some kind of accomplishment.

• Like 2