Shallow reef tank

Soong Yu Juan

Currently I am learning the basics by running a 20L nano Cube. I am totally fascinated by this hobby and am already planning a 2nd tank. Inspired by some of the rimless braceless open top concepts seen, I am going for this minimalistic look too. This tank will be placed on a 40cm high cabinet with sump so to view it, people will have to sit cross legged on the floor . What do you guys think of the below tank dimensions?

post-21875-0-66134300-1353100099_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Can try N30 tank maker. Ask him make the brace at bottom for the strength & use crystal glass for viewing panels. 25cm seems too shallow. Need to factor in at least 1 inch water gap from surface for wave. Talk to Ken at madpetz, he has a show case shallow tank there with sps & a nice big clam.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Can try N30 tank maker. Ask him make the brace at bottom for the strength & use crystal glass for viewing panels. 25cm seems too shallow. Need to factor in at least 1 inch water gap from surface for wave. Talk to Ken at madpetz, he has a show case shallow tank there with sps & a nice big clam.

Yup, 25cm abit shallow, i increased to 30cm already.

Originally, my plan was to visit both N30 and CRA for quotations on tank,cabinet and sump. CRA being my 1st stop, i ended up discussing about tank stuff for an hour with the boss. In the end, too excited as well as too lazy to travel elsewhere, so i commisoned CRA to build my tank. However, i still have some problems, my sump design/dimensions cannot be finalized yet as it seems that cannot find any good protein skimmers that is 35cm or below in height. (cabinet is 40 cm high).As we cannot find anything suitable browsing Bubble Magus and SKIMZ catalog online so the boss ask me to finalize my choce of skimmer and return pump 1st before discussing about sump again.

Bros, any recommendations for a good skimmer below 35cm in height? and maybe a small return pump about 1500L/h?

Try Tunze doc skimmers or hob models like Red Sea or AquaC ones.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

seems like there's a gap between the tank and the wall, maybe you could put an external skimmer there? solves your height problem though you'd be able to see it from the front unless there's a background

will be camping here for updates :)

• SRC Member

Notice your tank is in the living room. Rimless tank tend to have salt spray, something you need to take note of.

Also if there is any overflow, look out for electrical connectors and the integrity of that cabinet can hold the tank weight over prolong period of time, will the cabinet wood deteriorate if expose to water?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

seems like there's a gap between the tank and the wall, maybe you could put an external skimmer there? solves your height problem though you'd be able to see it from the front unless there's a background

will be camping here for updates :)

Trying to achieve an all "transparent" look so will be squeezing everything into the Sump.Thousand and one ideas running through my mind now... see how things go lor.

Notice your tank is in the living room. Rimless tank tend to have salt spray, something you need to take note of.

Also if there is any overflow, look out for electrical connectors and the integrity of that cabinet can hold the tank weight over prolong period of time, will the cabinet wood deteriorate if expose to water?

Things got messy and wet as i was fiddling with the return pump and laying the Sand bed...In my mind i was also questioning the integrity of the cabinet over time. I guess when messing around with stuff, have to be more careful and ''dry"...

• SRC Member

If you can, re-enforced the bottom cabinet with stainless steel brackets as an insurance. The last you want to see is your thousands dollars project gave way after a year of effort put in.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

If you can, re-enforced the bottom cabinet with stainless steel brackets as an insurance. The last you want to see is your thousands dollars project gave way after a year of effort put in.

Thanks for the tip bro.. so have to find my own private contractor eh...

Sand finally settled overnight,I have rinsed the sand at least 10 times before daring to put it into the tank. . Ignore the filter wool, its temporary to trap sand particles. Gonna get live rock now.. does the new ML have? if not have to travel down to cf.

post-21875-0-32465000-1354152427_thumb.j

Nice tank.... shallow is the best, very easy for maintenance :thumbsup: but as fellow bros have suggested, try to re-enforce the cabinet especially the middle portion just to be safe. Will be camping for your updates soon....

thanks for the kind words... think i will cut out two pieces of wood to force fit into the cabinet to act as pillars.

Officially started the cycling already.Threw in a cube of mysis and scatter pieces of prawn.

post-21875-0-81253600-1354181544_thumb.j

Bio media is a combination of red biohome and seachem matrix. the blue strip you see is an acrylic pasted on to increase water level of skimmer compartment. At the back there, you can see that i rest my electrical extension on an empty box, haha.

post-21875-0-52188800-1354181595_thumb.j

the water turned yellowish on adding the live rock. Should i run activated carbon and phosphate absorber during cycling?

• Like 1