Shallow reef tank

Soong Yu Juan

Nice minimalist style of scape.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Aptasia in rocks my advice is to throw or suntan e rocks till bone dry.

Suntanning your rocks dry will kill almost every living creature but for sure you'll have a peaceful sleep as crabs, bristle worms and whatever dreaded pest will be killed.

No point using aptasia juice killer as upon contact they will shrink and hide. Also if the first shot of death juice ain't done properly you'll only aggravate it further and you might soon be a proud father of baby aptasia.

Happy reefing

Aptasia in rocks my advice is to throw or suntan e rocks till bone dry.

Suntanning your rocks dry will kill almost every living creature but for sure you'll have a peaceful sleep as crabs, bristle worms and whatever dreaded pest will be killed.

No point using aptasia juice killer as upon contact they will shrink and hide. Also if the first shot of death juice ain't done properly you'll only aggravate it further and you might soon be a proud father of baby aptasia.

Happy reefing

After spending to buy live rock, cannot bear to kill it.. was thinking of peppermint shrimps... yeah, actually kinda in a dilemma. .

Peppermint shrimp is not a 100% aptasia killer.

You do know that dead rocks can be alive again over time.

As for crabs you can make a trap using bait and essence of chicken bottle. 99.99% effective. That 1% failure is when cleaner shrimps beat them to it

• Like 1

I just mix kalk with water till it is a thick white paste, draw with a syringe and cover the mouth of the aiptasia. Works just like Joe's juice/aiptasia X except much cheaper. But they can never be truly eradicated As there will be small ones hiding somewhere and growing in the tank. I've done this for years and killed hundreds.

Can try copperband butterfly, they feed on aiptasia too.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

hi bro, just dry the rocks.. it will save you a lot of trouble in future. IMHO the number of rock inside your tank is very little so there isnt much biological filter the LR can provide.

your presuasive argument drove me into action, i'm sunning the future zoas island now, hope the apitase has not spread to the other rocks...

Peppermint will eat all your aiptasia after few days of introduction. However, mine decided to go overboard and eat acans after the only single aiptasia got munch down completely.. On top of that, they also pick on my radioactive birdnest. I guess if you don't have enough food for them, they will go and eat something else. Your tank is pretty shallow so no harm giving it a try. After all, you can easily remove them later.

sorry to hear that your peppermint went rogue, hope the damage was minimal.

anyway i nuked the affected rocks... sundried and boil them in water. Kinda sad to see the reddish rocks turn bone white/dirty olive. Dont think i can stock fish until next year. For the moment, letting the pod population build up as i planned my 1st fish to be a mandarin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just some updates before i clean up the algea on my glass walls and post pics...

I want to highly recommand Reefpods tisbe copepods. I wanted to build up my pods population before getting mandarin fishes and i happen to chance upon a new shipment of reefpods products brought in around mid dec. Before adding the tisbe pods, the existing pods were all the crawling types. But the tisbe are very active free swimming type... makes me so happy to see so much life in the water.

After adding a young green mandarin and a young spotted mandarin, the pair absolutely decimated the pod population within a few days. Lucky i managed to get them to eat frozen daphnia by polluting my tank with loads of frozen daphnia, brine and mysis everyday. Hope they catch on to the mysis soon. They have been alive for 3 weeks now and i see them shit alot of thick black stuff so i think they will live....

• SRC Member

Cool.. did the tisbe pods multiply in your sump?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Where you get the reefpods tushes?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

Where you get the reefpods tisbe?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Stocking slowly is the right thing to do.