Algae or fungus? How to get rid of it?

I've some brown patches/strain growing/covering all over my LR. It growing pretty slowly but surely. Anyone knows what is it and how to get rid of it? Was told it was some kind of fungal growth. Is it?

Some pics,

post-19777-0-55135800-1356881807.jpgpost-19777-0-08695600-1356881880.jpgpost-19777-0-06329200-1356882696.jpg

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Upz... Anyone?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Upz... Anyone?

Bro,

Those are brown wafer algae - lobophora sp.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Bro,

Those are brown wafer algae - lobophora sp.

Thanks, hard to scrap it off the rocks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any other ways to get rid of it. Search the web and in other forum's reefers recommend putting sally lightfoot crabs and naso tangs do eat these kind of algae. Any other way to combat it? It starting to spread around my tank athough at a really slow pace.

Chip off those areas that cover with such algae. Those rocks that are fully infected should be removed from your tank
Kinda difficult as some is growing on the foundation huge rocks.

• Sponsor

If the bioload allows, a naso tang will love the lobo :)

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

If the bioload allows, a naso tang will love the lobo :)
Thanks for the advice, Henry. I'm still thinking of other alternatives.

• 1 month later...

Some updates, accidentally discovered that Joe's juice can actually get rid of these algae. I spray a small amount on the affected areas and the whole patch will slowly die off after a few wks. Need to be careful when applying on areas near corals. Would suggest diluting the juice in aquarium water or di water before using. I didn't and actually end up injuring some of my corals but its recovering. Almost immediately after applying, the thick slimy mucus covering the brown wafer algae will be gone and after a few days, the brown patch will turn dark green. A wk or 2 later, it will turn white and coraline algae will cover up over the bald patch.

Cheers.

Thank You for sharing. Did you do it in the tank or you remove the rock to spray the Joe Juice

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I apply direct into my tank. Need to off your wavemakers & pumps for awhile to prevent the juice from dispersing around the tank. Any residue settling on your corals need to be clear off. I use hand waving movement to lightly brush off any remaining residue flowing away and landing on corals.

Dun have to spray the whole amount of joe's juice on the whole affected patch of brown wafer algae. Juz spray a little and monitor for a few days. Joe juice will slowly eat away at the unwanted algae and within a few wks, the patch will become bald, at least that what happened to my tank.

Dun have to spray the whole amount of joe's juice on the whole affected patch of brown wafer algae. Juz spray a little and monitor for a few days. Joe juice will slowly eat away at the unwanted algae and within a few wks, the patch will become bald, at least that what happened to my tank.