White flaky patches on fishes

• SRC Member

So far 3 fishes (mandarin & 2 snowflakes) affected and casualty within 48hrs. Flaky white stuff start to appear on body and fish started to swim abnormally with only 1 fin moving. Need to know if it can be controlled by anything? Thanks

banner_1.aspx?id=garryljf&t=8

• Moderators

Sound like velvet.

If can catch the fish out, treat with cooper or paraguard immediately in a separate tank/container.

Else if u can't catch them due to scaping,etc and there is no coral or invert. u can just use the medication directly.

A picture will be good to confirm the infection.

If velvet, it can wipe out the whole tank within a day!

Tom

• SRC Member

Sound like velvet.

If can catch the fish out, treat with cooper or paraguard immediately in a separate tank/container.

Else if u can't catch them due to scaping,etc and there is no coral or invert. u can just use the medication directly.

A picture will be good to confirm the infection.

If velvet, it can wipe out the whole tank within a day!

Thks bro, i did a search and indeed it seems to be velvet. I tried on a few attempts to get the affected fishes out however very challenging. Tank has quite a fair amount of corals so can't dose medication into it. Would it just go away automatically?

• SRC Member

Thks bro, i did a search and indeed it seems to be velvet. I tried on a few attempts to get the affected fishes out however very challenging. Tank has quite a fair amount of corals so can't dose medication into it. Would it just go away automatically?

Hi bro, the only way for the velvet pathogens to go away completely is when all the fish in the DT is killed, and the tank has to left fishless for at least 4weeks.

Otherwise, tear the rockscape apart and catch all the surviving fishes out for copper treatment. Hyposalinity does not work for velvet.

Keep the fishes separately for a month. Do water change regularly for the DT.

you can also try dosing "It's Clear" in the DT time bind the free swimming pathogens for easier removal in your mechanical filtration.

I'm recently battling velvet too. Once the white patches show up on your fish bodies, it usually is too late to save them. I've lost most of my fish already. Left 4 standing.

Hi bro, the only way for the velvet pathogens to go away completely is when all the fish in the DT is killed, and the tank has to left fishless for at least 4weeks.

Otherwise, tear the rockscape apart and catch all the surviving fishes out for copper treatment. Hyposalinity does not work for velvet.

you can also try dosing "It's Clear" in the DT time bind the free swimming pathogens for easier removal in your mechanical filtration.

I'm recently battling velvet too. Once the white patches show up on your fish bodies, it usually is too late to save them. I've lost most of my fish already. Left 4 standing.

fishless for 4 weeks is not enough i have try b4 better 8~9weeks for velvet or whitespot ... velvet can kill a fish in just 3~4days after u notice on fish body very scary ...

• SRC Member

fishless for 4 weeks is not enough i have try b4 better 8~9weeks for velvet or whitespot ... velvet can kill a fish in just 3~4days after u notice on fish body very scary ...

Omg.. 2 months with no fish in tank?? :blink:

A big test of patience manzz..

• SRC Member

Thks bro, as this conversation is going on. I have lost another battle. Just suffered another casualty, my pellet feeding mandarin. very painful as all fishes have been with me for more then a year le haizzz. 2 survivors remaining now, with difficulty catching them. Trying Dr.G's medicated food in hope it will work.

• 2 weeks later...

If my DT is without fishes, do i still need to wait for 4 weeks.

DT has only LR and snails.

A big test of patience manzz..

A big test of patience manzz.

• 6 months later...

I think you need to follow the above posters which had good thinking about it.

Follow these things if you see good results carry on these steps other wise you can choose other.

What you think about it..

Recently had an outbreak of what I believed is velvet. Pretty much killed all my fish with the exception of a 6line wrasse. The wrasse looks fine in every way, eating well and no spots of any sort.

Will the pathogens clear off by itself in due course without removing the wrasse? (will be a major PITA to get it out and not to mention i do not have a QT too....)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

This was at theside of my prawn goby. Sorry for theunclear picture. I need to use the zoom function or the fish would dart away. Is this velvet? I recently got this on my fusty angel but he miraculously recovered. So im not sure if this is velvet lr not. Its the only fish affected so far but its still eating and swimming. Its impossible to catch this guy though.

post-21770-0-83307700-1378086109_thumb.j

post-21770-0-61125900-1378086136_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, it seems to be on the right topic so decided to post..still anyone can identify what my fish is suffering? :( Surprisingly still eating and alive till today!