10 gallon nano lps and maybe sps reef

decentkid

• SRC Member

Hi Guys!!

Its been a long time and I'm back to reefing. I don't know many of the new reefers around but some nicks are familiar. Anyway, I decomissioned my tank to 5 years ago to come to Perth, Australia to study. I'm currently still studying with 2 more years to go. This was my tank before i decomissioned it

1.jpg

For the first 2 1/2 years living here I didnt have any tanks and as no surprised to decided keep some fishes. Prices of fishes here are ridiculously expensive. This is due to shipment cost, inspection cost and quarantine cost. So do appriciate the prices in singapore. some examples for you: A neon tetra cost $1.60 each. A guppy cost $3 each. A fighting fish cost $8 each (normal, no crown tail or whatsoever). A percula clown cost $60 each and a skunk cleaner shrimp cost $120. A yellow tang is $140 and a blood shrimp is $200. Hope this gives you an idea of the price. Anyway, I started a planted tank and this was how it looked.

IMG_0562.jpg

After 2 years, I got sick of trimming the plants every so often and battling with algae. in addition to the frequent trips to the lfs and walking past the marine section, I started to miss reefing. So lo and behold, I started a nano tank.

So enough of my story. Heres about the tank.

The tank is currently 7 months old.

inhabitants: orchid dottyback, blue pygmy and a six line wrasse

tank size: 10 gallons, 50cm long, cant remember the other dimensions

lighting: currently diy 6 strips of led white light. Im in the middle of improving it. Will add two more led spot lights and change two strips to blue leds. this it to help bring out the colours like when using atinic. I'm adding the two spot lights as im planning to keep sps

filter: currently just two internal filters pushing approx 500l/h. Im planning to remove the smaller one and use a external cannister filter. In addition, Im using seachem seagel to reduce phosphate and nitrate. However, I read on RC that aluminium base phosphate removers arent very good so ill switch to rowaphos when I've finish this bottle

Cooling: nothing. Its summer now. It reached 42 degrees the other day and the tank reached 30 degress but the corals were all open and happy.

Maintenance: Water topup once every 2 days. Water change 60ml everyday (why 60ml you ask? Thats cause I use a big syringe to remove the water and the syringe is 60ml). feed every other day.

PS. with regards to the bleached coral (its an acan) that you see. I just got that this afternoon. It was bleached in the shop (big pet chain store). Its original price was $65. I asked the sales person whats the cheapest she could give me for that bleached coral and she said $5. So I thought why not give it a try and see if I can save it.

All comments are appriciated. Cheers!!

IMG_0989_zps528cd0ad.jpg

• SRC Member

I just realised how dirty the tank looks after posting it up. So sorry about that. Will clean it up and post another photo. Also, I cant do much about the washed out colours of the corals as I dont have my atinics yet so thats how they will look in photos for now. Will update when improvements have been made!

Nice tanks u have.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Welcome back... its been a long time.

I remember we both started way back since 2003-2004. And I also remember you had a tank on the floor. :thumbsup:

Good to know you're still into marine. Cheers. More updates!

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter