Share:DIY algae scrubber(ikea box)

ATcraz

• SRC Member

Try drilling using 1mm diameter drill bit, with holes 1.5cm -2cm apart.

Start off with smaller drill bit and increase the hole size according to how strong is the sprinkle . It should be jetting out.

You will notice it gets clogged at times(minimum) use the end of the smallest cable tie (bend at its tip) as a tooth pick to clear the blockages.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bro Xtrader, using a scrubber would help to effectively bring down your NO3 & PO4. Water change is still required to replenish trace elements are gets depleted in a closed system like our tank. Dosing those commercial available trace elements will not be effective because a lot of the elements cannot be measured by test kit. Sea water or salt mix will be able to take care of this issue thro' WC. Running a skimmer in this concept is to enable the nurtients gets recycled back to the main tank for corals & fishes to eat again. A skimmer will skim out this nutrients. Then, a mature tank will then requires bacterias to break down all this due to no skimmer. Again, running a skimmer does no harm. The only thing is that the basic idea of running a scrubber without a skimmer for the nutrients to be reuse is no longer there. However, NO3 & PO4 continues to be in check by the scrubber.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Bro Xtrader, using a scrubber would help to effectively bring down your NO3 & PO4. Water change is still required to replenish trace elements are gets depleted in a closed system like our tank. Dosing those commercial available trace elements will not be effective because a lot of the elements cannot be measured by test kit. Sea water or salt mix will be able to take care of this issue thro' WC. Running a skimmer in this concept is to enable the nurtients gets recycled back to the main tank for corals & fishes to eat again. A skimmer will skim out this nutrients. Then, a mature tank will then requires bacterias to break down all this due to no skimmer. Again, running a skimmer does no harm. The only thing is that the basic idea of running a scrubber without a skimmer for the nutrients to be reuse is no longer there. However, NO3 & PO4 continues to be in check by the scrubber.

Thanks, RF. However, Santa Monica says from their research they don't need even to change water for a couple of years.

They even went to says it does not need to add any additives except for 1 elements which I forgot.

Anyway, I gave up on scrubber because of the salt spray. haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some people are very goood in innovation and such info helps our marine community in particular, people like me fighting high NItrate and Phosphate.

Can I ask can the algae be use as food for all my tangs and Angel. reason I put lettuce into my main tank every day. So I was thinking this can also save money on lettuce.

• SRC Member

Some people are very goood in innovation and such info helps our marine community in particular, people like me fighting high NItrate and Phosphate.

Can I ask can the algae be use as food for all my tangs and Angel. reason I put lettuce into my main tank every day. So I was thinking this can also save money on lettuce.

tangs dont like that type of algae..Never Take the algae from The Screen and put back in DT..You will only be getting it growing in your tank..again..Lettuce is good but abit Expensive..Why no go for other alternatives?..you could culture redbamboo seaweed in your sump or Go to NTUC and buy Nori Seaweed Without Any flavours etc..Just pure nori ..12 sheets for nothing above 6$..if im not mistaken..cheaper in the long run Than Lettuce!

Cheers!

Good Morning!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

wow Very Sleek And Neat Design..Hope To Go ATS Soon..Natural Is best! :D

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 1 month later...

Santa monica is right that algae scrubber if implemented correctly will reduce the need to change water.

I myself have not change water for almost 2 years. Got to clarify that my tank is a Fish only with a bit of soft mushrooms. If u need to keep hard corals,regular water change is required to maintain micro nutrients.

And how healthy are my fishes? My blue tang is 13 yrs old being 8yrs on algae scrubber. My purple tang is 12yrs old,damsel is 14yrs n clowns 10-13 yrs old. ..haha older than my own children. ..

Thanks, RF. However, Santa Monica says from their research they don't need even to change water for a couple of years.

They even went to says it does not need to add any additives except for 1 elements which I forgot.

Anyway, I gave up on scrubber because of the salt spray. haha

Yes u can feed the algae to your fishes as long they can finish eating them especially the green fleshy filament type but not the red slimy type. My tangs n clowns eat them but not too much. I reduced the amount of food fed after they ate the algae.

Some people are very goood in innovation and such info helps our marine community in particular, people like me fighting high NItrate and Phosphate. Can I ask can the algae be use as food for all my tangs and Angel. reason I put lettuce into my main tank every day. So I was thinking this can also save money on lettuce.

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Yes u can feed the algae to your fishes as long they can finish eating them especially the green fleshy filament type but not the red slimy type. My tangs n clowns eat them but not too much. I reduced the amount of food fed after they ate the algae.

Santa monica is right that algae scrubber if implemented correctly will reduce the need to change water.

I myself have not change water for almost 2 years. Got to clarify that my tank is a Fish only with a bit of soft mushrooms. If u need to keep hard corals,regular water change is required to maintain micro nutrients.

And how healthy are my fishes? My blue tang is 13 yrs old being 8yrs on algae scrubber. My purple tang is 12yrs old,damsel is 14yrs n clowns 10-13 yrs old. ..haha older than my own children. ..

Hi, like to know more about your tank and set up.. can you please share some tips and details to care for the fish.. your set up seems amazing.. thank u

• 4 months later...

Hi Bro ATcraz, I saw your DIY algae scrubber, and get impressed by you. Can I learn from you about your DIY ikea box algae scrubber you made 2 years back? Can I know a few info from you, because I had wanted to do a DIY Santa Monica ATS Hog3 which submerged in the water actually, but then saw your design in SRC and got curious on a few issues. Can I know:-

1. Did the DIY Algae scrubber box gives off the slightest algae smell into the air? Mild to heavy, if you rate from 1 to 10?

2. Is it effective till date? And do you think there is a need still to run other equipment like reactors Rowas, phosphate, calcium etc?

3. What is the most critical issues you had faced with it till date(if you are still using)?

4. Have you further implemented/ upgraded the design you had back in 2013? And if you could share?

You surely impressed me with your simple, yet innovative design of the DIY Algae scrubber, and although it's within a box, I felt you really "think out of the box"! Kudos to you man!