After 20 years of hesitation

Sani Boyan

Hi all Finally got the time and courage to setup my own reef. Just a small one... 30x24x24. It has been almost 5 months now. Many 'casualties' though..... sad. But glad to have learned a lot of new things with the help of fellow reefers. Will update with full specs soon.post-21908-13621180887344_thumb.jpg

Looking forward for your updates and more photos would be great.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

nice! tank might be a bit small for blue tang though.

Yes, the blue tang is definitely oversized. Given by a fellow reefer who had to decom his tank. Had tried to catch it several times but failed successfully..... thought of swopping with smaller ones. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to trap it?

Yes, the blue tang is definitely oversized. Given by a fellow reefer who had to decom his tank. Had tried to catch it several times but failed successfully..... thought of swopping with smaller ones. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to trap it?

u can try using two nets? but the last time i tried to catch one, i have to remove most of my liverocks..heh

bro, u r using sand substrate? how do u manage to keep it so clean?

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

also, do u find the wavemaker too strong for such a small tank? i removed mine cos i think its creating some tsunami :P
Hhhahaa hahaaa.... 2 nets? Even tried with 3... to no avail. I use 2 wavemaker, 3000 and 5000. It did create a storm on the surface. But it REALLY helps on making the sand clean. Previously using only the 3000. The sand turns dark brown within 2 days. Pity my starfish trying very hard to clean it. After a few experiments, found that its best to point the 5000 directly and diagonally to the return outlet. And the 3000 to point straight at the back. Both around 3" from surface. Still monitoring and experimenting though. Crossing fingers really tight. :unsure:

• SRC Member

Hold status for another 3 more months. Focus on good husbandry and stable water parameters. Culturing copepods, there are couple of reefers selling them, buy 1-2 packets to add into your tank. Instead of fishes, look for tiny tank cleaners at fish farm. Soon you will have a great colourful eco system to enjoy after work.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

More zoom in shots of your corals would be nice.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hey all Thanks for the comments and feedback. For now definitely will heed james72's advice, focus on becoming a good husband...:wub: Compiling photos now. Will upload ASAP. Still trying very hard to capture good quality pictures. My photo taking skills are superbly horrible :wacko:. As horrible as my powderful knowledge in this hobby. Bob> Definitely drag you along for coral shopping. Thanks for all the delicious and nutricious poison that you had injected in my brain. For now, have to vividly please my wife more and more until she VOLUNTARILY drag me to buy more corals :P

To catch the blue tang..Off your lights in the night..i mean complete darkness.. if u have time after 2 hours.. "on" the tank light and just scoop it up cos the fish is "blinded"...sure works..
Hmm... Great thinking. But..... That Tang is sleeping under and in between rocks. Never saw it sleep out in the open. Anyway thanks for the tip. ^_^

Nice and healthy blue tang you got...
Thanks. I'm lucky to be able to nurse it. When at first got it was quite worn out. Now trying to catch it to sell/swop cause my tank is too small for it. Anyone knows where to get the Aqua Medic Fish Trap? Had tried all other means but failed.

• 5 months later...