SRC Tank of the Quarter Winner - Johnson2288 (March 2013 to May 2013 )

Hi Johnson,

CongratuIation !!

Dont mind asking you a question, as i am new in this hobby.

Saw you have a dosing pump for control the CA,MG & DKH but what is the reason behind to have a Calcium Reactor as it also control the CA too.

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This tank is just beautiful!  Well done.

Just starting (October 2009).

Here is what I have so far:

EQUIPMENT

3x2x2.5 Tank

Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060

Artica 1/4 HP Chiller

Deltec APF600 Skimmer

Dymax 150W Metal Halide

Eheim 2060 Return Pump

Nautilus Phosphate Reactor

LIVESTOCK

65 Kgs Live Rock

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

This many years back

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join us on the largest Reefing community in Asia!

Sign up and share your reefing journey with us, make friends and get helps from the community .

• Similar Content

• By Harlequinmania
      This month, we are featuring our new winner for the Tank of the Quarter !! Mengyang_neo aka Gary has been awarded as the winner. Congratulation to gary for wining , and Kudos to him again for the passion and dedication toward this hobby !

Title : My Dream Tank

Brief Introduction of your history of setting up your tank

It all started in 2007 when my bro in law decom and pass me his full set of 4x2x2.5ft tank and equipment, as it is a new hobby to me; I paid a lot of fee and earn it the hard way. Starting with a LPS tank, then when I enlisted, I changed it to a FOWLR. It is really very disappointing with so many failures that I decided maybe I should just decom or change a new tank and have a new start.

I change to a 5x1.5x2ft tank, going full zoas with LPS and slowly into full SPS, the journey is fun and I know a lot of reefers and close friend in this fruitful journey. Starting of SPS is plain coincident as I am the lucky winner for Dr Cedric lucky draw and I get to try SPS FOC. From the few frag, I manage to hold the colour and start to get more and more SPS. Advice from Cedric and other SPS keeper are very helpfully and I get to keep SPS more successfully. With SPS getting more and more, manual dosing seems impossible and very troublesome. So I get a dosing pump and keeping the parameter constant becomes a lot easier.

With all the success, I tried to go Full SPS with angels; I stock up too fast and end up crashing my tank, lost a lot of SPS. Lucky I do trade with other reefer so I get to get back some of my SPS. With all the up and down, I decided to once again get a new tank and do all the basic stuff and keeping everything consistence. Finally this year with a clear idea of what my tank is going to be, I change to my present tank – My Dream Tank

Tank details and specification

Main Tank size ; 5x2.4x1.6ft

Sump tank size ; 4x1.8x1.5ft

Types of Glass / thickness ; 12 mm crystal clear glass for 3 side of my main tank

Total Water volume of system ; around 600 litres

Tank system parameter

Calcium - ca ; 400

Alkaline - KH ; 8-8.5

Magnesium – mg ; 1300

Tank system profile ( Equipments list and lighting period )

Skimmer - H&S Skimmer

Return Pump - 2 x Eheim 1264

Wavemaker - 2 x tunze 6095 ,and muilt controller 7096

Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in

Lighting - 2 x 250w MH- 4hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit -9hrs

Reactor - Dosing pump

Addictive used

I do use a dosing pump to dose Ca and Kh and change a pail of water every week. During water change, I will add zeovit Coralsnow and Zeozym, I will add coral vitalizer randomly into my tank when I remember.

List of live stocks in your tank

I am keeping full SPS with zoas and the following list of fishes

Yellow tang
      Picasso clown pair
      FlameHawk
      Mystery Wrasse
      Yellow Wrasse
      4 Chromis

Some personal Q & A questions

1. Are you a fish guy or a Coral guy ?

Ans ; I am a Coral guy

2. What is your main concern when looking around for your reefing equipment

Ans ; I will go for trusted German brand or brand that has good after sale support. This is very important for reefing as a lot of thing can go wrong.

3. What is your favorite past time

Ans ; Go LFS shopping and chit chat with my group of reefer friends.

4. What is the satisfaction you got from this hobby ?

Ans ; The satisfaction is having small achievement like a brown SPS colour up and to have a slide of ocean in your own living room.

5. Any advice for newbie in this hobby ?

Ans ; I feel reefing is not difficult with all the equipment available to help reefer, and there are a lot people sharing different method of keeping a successful tank. The problem is all the method mentioned take time, and when I said time, it is not 1-2 days; rather it is 2-3 weeks or maybe months. So be patient and you will be rewarded, consistent is the key. All the Best.

Final Acknowledgement and thanks you note

Firstly I will like to thanks my family member for their tolerance and understanding for my passion in this hobby. It really bonded the whole family together as it will be a common topic for the whole family, when thing happen to my tank, sometime they are more nervous than me. Lol

Next will be my reef buddies cum close friends, whom shared sleepless night chiong shipment or early in the morning whatsapping reefing stuff, you know who you are. Cheer!!!!

Last but not least, I want to thank SRC staff and the reefing community for having this platform so that, we reefer can learn and share our experiences.

Video

• By Singapore Reef Club
      SRC is proud to showcase this quarter TOTQ winner ezman aka Paul simple and beautiful nano reef tank. This is just another proof that with proper knowledge and patient, a successful mixed reef tank for a nano tank with bare minimum equipment is deem possible.

Ezman Nano Mix Reef Tank

I am someone who loves fishes since young and I was a freshwater monsterfish keepers for more than a decade. I have a cousin who was a reefer and used to have a beautiful 6 footer mixed reef. Whenever I goes to his house during CNY, I will get stuck in front of this tank for easily 1-2 hours. After about 4yrs later, I happened to come across this little tank of mine and bought it. That’s how my journey to reefing got started….

My first 4 yrs of reefing was only using a LED lightset + fan + skimmer keeping only fishes and LPS. I have never bother to test my water perimeter and have never understand why do I have to do so until the day when i realize that my beautiful coral is dieding one by one without any apparent reason. That is when i have to learn through the hard way of reefing which i glad that many do not need to embark on this path due to the amount of knowledge that this forum and the internet can offer.

Tank Specification

Tank Size : 50 x 50 x 70 ( cm ) With Internal Overflow System

Salinity: 1.026

Temperature: 26 Degree

Ph: 8.0

Calcium - 380

Alkalinity– 8.2

Magnesium – 1380

Tank Hardware

Skimmer: SKIMZ HS1

Mechanical filtration: NONE

Dosing pump: NONE

Chiller: ARCTICA 1/10

Biopellet / reactor: NONE

Chemical filtration: NONE

Main return pump: CHINA BRAND 3800L

Wave maker: MP10WES X 2

Others Equipments : AI HYDRA 26 X 1

Lighting period : 1PM – 10PM
    • By Singapore Reef Club
      We are proud to showcase this quarter TOTQ winner - Tofubox beautiful SPS tank setup !! Congratulation ..

Good day! My name is Jarrett, but I go commonly by the nick of tofubox. I would like to thank SRC for nominating my tank, and allowing me to share my passion for marine tanks with everyone here. I’ve been reefing for about 5 years now, starting off with Soft corals, LPS, Fowlr, Nano, and finally down to SPS corals in this 125 gallon tank. Throughout this hobby, I’ve went through plenty of ups and downs, both good and frustrating moments, but nonetheless I’ve enjoyed every moment of it. I thank everyone for their support and may we continuously make this hobby a fun and interesting one!

Tank specifications

Tank size : 48" x30" x20" rimless
      Volume: 125 gallons
      Materials: 12mm low iron glass (3 sides)
      Overflow: External 2/3rds Coast to Coast with Bean Animal 1.5" Overflows (3 pipes). Overflow box is 36”x5”x6”
      Tank Builder: CRA (Coral Reef Aquarium)

System Parameter

Salinity: 1.0255
      Temperature: 26 - 27
      Ph: 8.1 - 8.3
      Calcium – 410
      Alkalinity– 6.8 – 7.5
      Magnesium – 1480

Tank: Hardware equipments

Skimmer: Aquamaxx coneS CO-3
      Mechanical filtration: 1 x Filter sock
      Dosing pump: Currently not in use
      Chiller: Hailea 1/2hp
      Calcium / reactor: GEO 618 Calcium Reactor with Digital Bubble Counter
      Chemical filtration: Zeovit System, Seachem Matrix Carbon
      Main return pump: Reef Octopus HY 10000 w
      Wave maker: 2 x Jebao rw15, 1 x Jebao wp25
      Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8 tube
      Auto Topup: JBJ ATO,
      Reactor : Zeovit Reactor
      Return Pump: Ehiem 1262
      Lighting period : 10hrs Two Blue plus, 8hrs 8 Bulb combination (blue+, coral+, Aquablue Special, Purple+)

Addictive used

Zeovit System:
      Zeovit stones: 1250ml x 1 x 7 weeks
      Zeobak: 3 drops x 1 x week
      Spongepower: 4 drops x 3 x week
      Zeostart: 0.46 x 2 x daily
      Coral Snow: 1 capful x 1 x week
      Biomate: 5 drops x 1 x week
      Flatworm Stop: 5ml x daily
      Fauna Marine Colour elements : 5ml x 3 x week
    • By Harlequinmania
      We are pleased to share with you this quarter TOTQ winner - Weiloong

Tank specifications

Tank Size : 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft

Temperature: 25.5

Ph: 8 ~8.3

Calcium - 460

Alkalinity– 8 ~ 8.3

Magnesium – 1420

Tank: Hardware

Skimmer: Deltec AP600
      Mechanical filtration: Filter foam with basket
      Dosing pump: Bubble Magus
      Chiller: Arctica 1/4HP
      Biopellet / reactor: TLF 150
      Chemical filtration: Rowaphos , Rowacarbon. Bio pellet
      Main return pump: Eheim 1264
      Wave maker: WP40 and Tunze 6025
      Others Equipments : Red starfish Auto top up
      Lighting period : Photon 32 led set, 4sets of Par38

Addictive used

Polyp Lab Reef-resh set

Tank maintenance

Every 2 week
    • By Singapore Reef Club
      SRC is proud to fatured this quarter TOTQ winner - Kylve beautiful Mixed reef tank.

Introduction

It all started when my BIL tempted me into this hobby with 1 pair of nemo ( clownfish ) with live rock in a simple 1ft tank. Within 2 weeks, I started to fall in love with this wonderful hobby and got another 2ft tank, keeping zoas . After less than 5 month, found my current tank being too small, and it so happen that a reefer is decommissioning his tank, and wanted to give away his 5 ft tank that landed me into my current 5ft setup.

I Started my new tank keeping zoas and pratas with lots of fishes. Unfortunately , Murphy's law always happens when you are not around. My chillier pump spoilt suddenly and it causes the water temperature in the tank to rise which result in all pratas melting off. Shortly after this lesson learn, I Change to a compressor chiller together with a auto temp cut off system install with my MH lighting. In 2009, when i decided to try keeping SPS corals , all the corals was growing well. That is also when I decided to rescape my tank and sold off all my fishes and corals to try out my current system with lesser rock and bioload.

I started off my tank again this time round with numerous frags and small bioload of minimum fishes. One fine day, i was poison by a SRC reefer ezman with angels fishes, that i decided to setup another tank for these beauty, so i transfer all my zoas over to another dedicated running system so that i can keep my angelfishes in my main tank. By doing so, this also helps to increase my water volume and enable me to add more fishes which i loved !!!
      I still love to see my tank fill with corals with many fishes swimming around freely which looks colorful and make my tank lively !

Tank specifications

Temperature: 26

Ph: 8

Calcium - 430

Alkalinity– 9

Magnesium – 1500

Tank: Hardware

Skimmer: deltec 851

Dosing pump: Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump with timer

Chiller: 1HP compressor drop in coil

Biopellet / reactor: Biopellet reactor

Main return pump: OR 3500 and eheim 1260

Wave maker: 2 x Vortech MP40W, 1 x Tunze 6250, 1 x Tunze 6850

Others Equipments : JBJ auto top up

Lighting period : De-Lighting tube

2 x Blue Plus + 2 x aquablue special (From 11am to 11.30pm)

3 x 250W MH 15K Bulb : aqua lighting(From 3.30pm to 8pm)

Addictive used

No, i dont use much addictive on my tank as I tend to feed my fishes a lot which i belive in turn will the corals in my tank.

Tank maintenance

7 to 10 days change 25L of pre salt mix using DD salt. 4 to 5 days cleaning of skimmer cup and changing of cotton wool. Every 1 week mixing and topping up of cal,mag and alkalinity solution using food grade powder.
  • Topics

• Latest Update

1. 3

Excess Zoas To let go

2. 1

WTS Torches and Duncans

3. 1

WTS Torches and Duncans