3ft shallow fowlr log

• SRC Member

Hi guys I decided to start a log of my tank here after a mishap involving my nieces and nephews wanting to see bubbles in the tank, bubbles that are not produced by air pumps. Ah well lets move on. Tank is in 2nd week of cycling, nitrite spike phase.

Tank : 3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft

Sump : 80cm x 50cm x 38cm

Return : Tesino GF 352

Skimmer :BM NAC 7

Lights : Beamswork 600

Wavemaker : None (waiting for wp25)

Will be adding a fan once cycle is done.

Before the aforementioned mishap, was keeping red sea endemics. Somehow im attracted to keeping fishes from a particular locality rather than a mishmash of fishes although there's nothing wrong with that.

This time round would be going for a Caribbean fish list (someone poisoned me into this, wanted a hawaii one, he told me keep hawaii fishes for sure bored haha just joking ah bro).

Not sure I can call it a biotope as it's just fishes but thats for future ideas.

Tentative Fish List(in order of introduction)

Blue Reef Chromis x3

Flame Cardinal x2

Royal Gramma

Yellowhead Jawfish (shallow sand bed okay for thia guys? Read they need rather deep mixed sandbeds)

Longsnout Butterflyfish

Argi Angel

Rock Beauty (Juv)

Atlantic Blue Tang (Juv)

Queen Angel (Juv)

Im aware the last three fishes will get too big for my small tank. Will sell or trade for smaller ones when it happens. Other than that, feel free to comment, advise, add on or remove any fish or even criticise the list, im all ears.

post-19676-0-21174200-1363086139_thumb.jpost-19676-0-54753300-1363086261_thumb.j

Sorry for the blur pics using camera phone and I think I have early onset parkinsons or something hand not steady.

As you can see lights are really on the 10k side kind of regretted the buy but I think ill just supplement it with 2x t5 if I really cannot tahan.

Moonlight

post-19676-0-79273300-1363086592_thumb.j

Thats all for today. Hope to update more in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and 3 more days to friday guys!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Thanks bro :) Just checked ammonia, nitrite zero. No nitrate test kit but shall assume by theory tank's done with the cycle. Anyways, I seeded the tank with two LRs after I restarted and two days later can already see pods on tank glass. Btw the two LRs were from ng couple in front of ah beng, 1kg for $3. Very cheap imo.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member
Very good looking scaping indeed bro.
Thanks! But I think still a little cluttered. Cant hold a candle to many bros here when compared to their scaping. Yours is very nice as well. Lots of space for fishes to swim. Coincidentally, I wanted to do a minimalist scape with lots of negative space as well :)

• SRC Member

hi there,

nice setup :-)

May i know what is pods and how it looks like?

cheers

Thanks bro :)

Pods are critters in your tank which serve as fish food especially for mandarins and scooter blennies. Haha that's the only thing I know about pods.

Heres a pic I took off the net,

post-19676-0-46363000-1363165746.jpg

• SRC Member
Do a sand bed that is deep for the jawfish. Timid creatures, bad idea for the set up.
Thanks for the heads up. Will omit it altogether as i like the shallow sand bed. Looking at rubre basslet as its replacement.

• SRC Member

Added a blue chromis and royal gramma from TFC friday shipment. Very stable fishes, both started feeding the day after. So those who would want them grammas, hurry down to TFC. And dont forget to get a belize queen when ur there haha.

Thought very hard of getting 3 chromis instead of just 1 but after reading up on RC, more cases of them fighting till left one than them staying together. Plus I cant just head down to lfs at any given day to get more for $1 a piece like the normal green ones lol.

My unpopular marginatus also inside now, managed to chase the gramma out of its cave even after the gramma's efforts in opening its mouth big big.

post-19676-0-82038600-1363649736_thumb.j

post-19676-0-94130800-1363649796_thumb.jpost-19676-0-72809100-1363649831_thumb.j

Wondering now where can I get flame cardinals and blue neons. An evelynae would also be nice.

• SRC Member

Wanted to move one rock, and then a second one and then

I ended up aquascaping.

post-19676-0-91655700-1363861035_thumb.j

• SRC Member
Nice! The tank looks much much more spacious after the rescape. Well done!
Thanks bro :) yeah I like this scape more as well.

• SRC Member
Erm....y in de middle got 1 lone rock?
Lol to be honest I dont know what to do with the rock but it has lots of coralline, wasted if I put in sump. And a fail attempt at trying a 3 rock formation iwagumi pattern lol. Also thinking once I complete my fish list and maybe, just maybe start stockin on corals that rock would be a nice spot for a rock anemone at the bottom.

• SRC Member

Went to TFC before dinner just to drop by and say hello to the hamsum boss, but instead..

• SRC Member

Props to TFC for this healthy and beautiful belize queen. Released last night into the tank, chasing pellets the following morning.

• SRC Member

Presenting to you, Honey, I blew up the kid, fish edition.

post-19676-0-19504600-1365255655_thumb.j

• SRC Member
Wow, another bezile queen, I want to get one but have to save up first...
Get it bro. I was a skeptic once, thinking just how blue can it be to make a difference. But I can see clearly now, the rain is gone hahaha. :)

• SRC Member
Nice bezile queen.
Thanks bro, really no horse run huh. Hope mine will grow to be as blue as yours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Fish Channel shipment come in, my money will come out haha. But no complains. Their fishes in excellent condition. Props to the TFC team for bringing in the almost unheard of yellowtail tangs. Crossing fingers my husbandry skills would match the TFC team dedication to the well-being of their fishes.

• Like 1