Using feng shui to get my reef tank.

Kayakkite

Well, before March ended, i think i would at least like to start a thread and also thanks Sgreef club for having such informative site. I started off reading and getting information regarding the marine reef tank after the IMM fish carnival dec 2012. Was there to support a friend (mini reefer) that's participating the nano tank competition and somehow, the beauty of the reefscapes just clinched onto me.

It was 3 weeks before CNY that I proposed to my CO regarding having a reef tank. Having submitting the power consumption table, budget requirement and explanation regarding the feng shui of having a saltwater aquarium in the year of snake, water in north2/3 house in period 8 generates both direct and indirect wealth and opportunities, I finally got the green light.

I went in search of a tank. Happened that a bro was selling to upgrade. I quickly asked my friend mini reefer to PM him. Here's the tank before CNY.

Tank Specs:

3 x 1 x 2 ft tank + 3 ft sump.

Many thanks to mini reefer that help me transporting the chiller and accessories. On the first week of feb, the tank was filled with water for leak test and equipment run in. That's the beginning of ....... Huat ah...

post-22579-0-02656900-1364743349_thumb.j

After the tank and chiller installed, mini reefer started a one week intensive course about reefing and scaping to me. We went down fish farms and lfs to search for fishes, rocks and coral. Along the way, he had explained which kind of fishes reef safe and which are not. I could still remember the day before CNY eve, we were still searching for clowns at coral farm and rocks from iwarna. He had also came over to my place to help out the scaping. Many thanks to him.

Here's the image before CNY big day.

Finally, crossing over the zodiac year of snake with a marine tank.

post-22579-0-63533700-1364745918_thumb.j

Clam placement on high ground as to capture more lighting. I'm using T5 aqua zonic lighting + natural sunlight from window.

Later down the thread, I'll let you know of my nightmare of algae issues and placement of clam as they keep dropping.

I've also know that why for reefing, most will close a shallow and wider tank. For mine 1 ft wide and 2 ft depth, it's a challenge to me as a newbie.

post-22579-0-93967900-1364746922_thumb.j

Nice setup.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

No worry for the clam once it settle down. U will see its leg grabing on the rock liao.. but make sure the bottom part of the clam (freshy part) touched the rock.

• SRC Member

no offence, but according to my parents.. marine are very "Salty" and "dirty" thats the reason why i was not allowed to keep marine for many years when i was much younger.. now they have probably became less superstitous and even find my corals very beautiful! nice tank anyway! would be good if its a 1.5ft width.. 1ft very hard to play with.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

no offence, but according to my parents.. marine are very "Salty" and "dirty" thats the reason why i was not allowed to keep marine for many years when i was much younger.. now they have probably became less superstitous and even find my corals very beautiful! nice tank anyway! would be good if its a 1.5ft width.. 1ft very hard to play with.
In fact, salt water are very powerful cure to neutralise negative effects of the ill flying star; #2 and #5. The saltwater aquarium will accumulate negative energy within the house. By changing the water, you discarded the bad luck and in fact start to purify the energy within the house hence improve one's luck. I can see that every reefer puts their 101% to keep the water clean hence lots of good and positive energy is generated. Elders maybe right as "salty" is dirty but with right application, the powerful cure element will becomes allies. This is what I told my wife...:) And finally, got the permit...

In fact, bro Evo is right. 1ft wide is very difficult to play...

The placement of rocks must look nice on both side. And the depth of 2ft eventually makes it even harder if any dead fishes or debris required to be removed. Cleaning and maintenance are also a nightmare.

My tank after 2.5 weeks, brown algae started to bloom. Reason because I've power on the lighting whole day 24/7 just to enjoy the view. Learn a hard lesson.

post-22579-0-90150100-1364817822_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Instead of live rocks can use tonga branch glue together to make into a bonsai display for limited width tank

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
Nice scape and good coaching done by mini reefer. Can find mini reefer to scape for us haha.
Your tank is too big for me to scape lah.. i can do a mini scape in your tank if you one. Haha.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

In fact, salt water are very powerful cure to neutralise negative effects of the ill flying star; #2 and #5. The saltwater aquarium will accumulate negative energy within the house. By changing the water, you discarded the bad luck and in fact start to purify the energy within the house hence improve one's luck. I can see that every reefer puts their 101% to keep the water clean hence lots of good and positive energy is generated. Elders maybe right as "salty" is dirty but with right application, the powerful cure element will becomes allies. This is what I told my wife... :) And finally, got the permit...

wah bro, next time i want upgrade, if parents complain about "salty" again, can engage you to persuade them liao.. hahahaha.. shall show them what you said!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Okay, back to feng shui regarding algae problem. Having too much light in feng shui, it's known as 光杀. That's no good. By turning on my T5 lighting and lights from both side of my window are simply too much. Nitrate building up due to heavy feeding and not changing water due to CNY. As a reef newbie, I thought it's like freshwater tank, clear water means good. But I was wrong.

After getting some advise from mini reefer, I quickly changed 1/2 the water and decided to fix my WC regime to every week using only DI water. I also reduced the lighting to 8 hrs.

Immediately after a week, coralline was growing on the live rocks and the brown algae started disappearing. Of course those that on the side glass, I used the magnet cleaner to wipe it.

post-22579-0-08551700-1364890943_thumb.j

Instead of live rocks can use tonga branch glue together to make into a bonsai display for limited width tank
Thanks bro James. In fact been always looking out for nice rocks. Now I know it's called tonga branch. Many thanks. New knowledge again. :) As the tank only 1 ft wide, placement of rocks will be very close to the side glass. I'm currently trying to ensure no rocks are touching the side.

Lol do you help to see feng shui for people. Can engage you lol
I've stopped keeping freshwater aquarium for many years due to work and children commitment. Gave away my 5 ft tank to my brother. It's the IMM carnival that left the poison in me. Corals & marine aquarium so beautiful. It's by chance that went to Lilian too extravaganza 2013, free tickets from colleague, hence found out water activation in north this year will bring good luck. So, using the theory to convince my CO. So, still learning and not yet qualify as feng shui master. Actually.... It's mini reefer that done the injection.:)