Live sand VS Dry aragonite.

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

i'll be setting up a 3x2x1ft tank soon and with the base of 3x2, im gonna need quite alot sand. Im thinking of 1 inch.. probably going to need around 15 - 20kg i guess? im thinking of getting those grade 0 dry coral sand (sugar size?) instead of those carib-sea live sand which will cost alot more. what are the disadvantage of using such dry sand? and where can i buy them?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

you can try ah beng. those carib sea "live sand" are just marketing gimmicks.

i also using dry sand, you need to wash first before using or else water very cloudy. it works great for me.

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

Hey guys,

i'll be setting up a 3x2x1ft tank soon and with the base of 3x2, im gonna need quite alot sand. Im thinking of 1 inch.. probably going to need around 15 - 20kg i guess? im thinking of getting those grade 0 dry coral sand (sugar size?) instead of those carib-sea live sand which will cost alot more. what are the disadvantage of using such dry sand? and where can i buy them?

no marketing gimmick. Marketing is telling you inside got live bacteria. honestly I dont buy tt piece of info otherwise dry aragonite is good.

I like caribsea dry aragonite and will be gg to use them for my upcoming tank

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

you can try ah beng. those carib sea "live sand" are just marketing gimmicks.

i also using dry sand, you need to wash first before using or else water very cloudy. it works great for me.

thanks, i found them at qian hu too.. $10 for 10 kg.. c0 grade. i wonder does it contain any bad stuff?

Most lfs should sell normal sand. I bought mine from y618. Grade wise not sure but very fine.

whats the color of the same from y618? issit similar to carib-sea? like whitish sand?

no marketing gimmick. Marketing is telling you inside got live bacteria. honestly I dont buy tt piece of info otherwise dry aragonite is good.

I like caribsea dry aragonite and will be gg to use them for my upcoming tank

caribsea dry aragonite is good too.. may consider this.

Hey guys, i'll be setting up a 3x2x1ft tank soon and with the base of 3x2, im gonna need quite alot sand. Im thinking of 1 inch.. probably going to need around 15 - 20kg i guess? im thinking of getting those grade 0 dry coral sand (sugar size?) instead of those carib-sea live sand which will cost alot more. what are the disadvantage of using such dry sand? and where can i buy them?
Dry sand is sufficient if you keep fish only. C328 offers best price.

• SRC Member

It's a mixed Reef tank. Most likely I'll go for Carib sea dry aragonite sugar size. Bottom layer I use my old live sand from my current reef to seed the sand. So its real life sand.

• 2 weeks later...

no need live sand. just go buy some copepods and let them breed in your sand. they reproduce very fast. bacteria will grow after awhile after you cycle

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin