Running 2 tank side by side, possible to share water?

• SRC Member

Hey guys, I'm setting up a 3ft tank soon, meanwhile I'm thinking of setting up a 2ft frag tank solely for growing frags, since this tank will be just beside the main one, I'm thinking if it's possible to use some sort of method or equipment so the water can be shared? So I don't have to buy additional skimmer chiller and other stuff just for the frag tank.. Please don't tell me to drill glass tank.. Haha

Thanks!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Possible bro.... Your soon 3ft tank got sump? then both can share the same sump tank. This will likely same concept as those on LFS but on a smaller version. You see in LFS, most of the tanks are connected and share a common sump? Same will be for yours, but if you dont want to drill your 2ft frag tank, then advisable to use and external overflow box. Just plan you pipings well, perhaps some bros who have the same set-up can share their design or look through RC.

• SRC Member

Woah really nice diagram! Thanks a lot.. But my sump is small and I'm worried it may not be able to take the water load.. I wish to do without another overflow to my sump.

I hope these might help.....1) drill a hole on the return-pipe,where the water drains into your main tank(or you already has

one that stops the back siphon)

2) connect a tubing so that now it drains into your frag tank(make sure that the outlet of this

tubing cannot be submerged or else,there be a back siphon.

3) your frag tank has to be slightly lower than your main tank.

Happy reefing.

• SRC Member

Hahaa yes bro, selling my fw convert to marine but tank is too thin and does not have proper bracing. Getting a 3ft tank instead on the cabinet. So got space for a 2ftx1ft tank. But I don't want a 4ft straight mainly cause my cabinet is not built for sump use, so sump is diy and very small..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

post-17844-13656577587249_thumb.jpg

Tank Size: 42” x 18” x 12/18” (4 side and centre use Crystal Clear Glass)
Sump: 36” x 15” x 15/20”
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Diablo DC 10000
Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201
Wavemaker: 2 X VorTech MP10ES Propeller Pump
Chemical Filtration: 2 X H2 Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Reactor(Rowa & Chemi Pure Elite), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR30 (biopellets) with
Tesino GP-231 Amphibious Pump
Bio Media: Bacteria King - 10 Litres
Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/4 Hp - DBE-200)
Lighting: ATI Sunpower 6 x 39 Watt T5

(Blue+ Blue+ Purple+ Coral+ Actinic Blue+) (9hrs)

Auto TopUp system: JBJ ATO

• SRC Member

Thanks a lot bros for posting those designs.. But like I said my cabinet is divided into 3 thud sump very small.. Anyway if don't share water also can.. Only soft corals frag tank think weekly wc will suffice.. Main issue is chilling.. How to chill this tank using my chiller meant for the main tank. Hmmmm.

• SRC Member

Do bear in mind whether using a common sump tank anot, do factor in the total amount of water volume from both main and frag tanks in the event of a power failure where water back-flows into the sump. Don't think you will enjoy the cleaning up should the sump over-flows!