EvolutionZ's Shallow reef build.

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

i've been reefing for about 5 - 6 months now with a small 1ft cube and the poison got me and i upgraded to a tank 8 times larger.

Tank size : 120x60x36cm (12mm rimless)

Sump tank : 35x50x45cm (6mm)

Skimmer : Deltec MCE 600

Lighting : Maxspect G2 170W (26 white, 22 RB, 8 Violet)

Return pump : Eheim 1260

Chiller : Teco TR15

Substrate : CaribSea Special Grade reef sand (40lb)

Wavemaker : Jebao WP-40

filtration :

30kg Live Rocks, Rowaphos (with TLF reactor), biopellets and chaeto

Planned corals :

Mixed reef (softies and LPS mainly)

Hectic morning, went to buy Live rocks and few packs of NSW. Tank haven't arrive yet.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03059-1_zps59df6a45.jpg.html'>DSC03059-1_zps59df6a45.jpg

started scaping. using 2 main big rocks and afew other smaller rocks. total 30kg used. should be settled for this

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03064-1_zpsa226ed4d.jpg.html'>DSC03064-1_zpsa226ed4d.jpg

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03067_zps6417d33d.jpg.html'>DSC03067_zps6417d33d.jpg

Tank arrived hours after settling for the scape. loving the shallow look!

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03068_zps73750910.jpg.html'>DSC03068_zps73750910.jpg

Sump tank, due to cabinet's not meant for sump (reuse cabinet from freshwater set up), have to customise an empty tank to be my sump. using overflow box to send water down.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03070-1_zps9ecaab5e.jpg.html'>DSC03070-1_zps9ecaab5e.jpg

first time having a big rimless tank!

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03072_zpsa7eba5b6.jpg.html'>DSC03072_zpsa7eba5b6.jpg

lights are hanged.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-27200527_zps63d64e0d.jpg.html'>2013-04-27200527_zps63d64e0d.jpg

Right now waiting for silicon to fully cure, before testing tank with water. will then start scaping the rocks on monday (2 days later) and filling with salt mix and start cycling!

Thanks for viewing!

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Looks really cool. Shallow tank is getting more popular. Really interested to see how you going to scape it - lagoon island?

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

Looks really cool. Shallow tank is getting more popular. Really interested to see how you going to scape it - lagoon island?

Thanks bro! indeed its popular.. i did show a scape above.. honestly i have no idea how i should scape it.. probably just going to placed the rock and see if the look pleases me.

• SRC Member

Nice !

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Nice setup, will be looking at your scape when its finished. Should be nice to see with the shallow rimless tank look & once its filled with corals.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hi bro, nice tank, I think I met u when u are picking up your rocks. :)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Look very nice bro. Should be very appealing once filled up with corals.

Thanks bro! i hope so!

Finally the tank is up and it's looking great! now waiting for you to set everything up :thumbsup:

Yeah man finally.. it was a long 10 days wait for the tank to arrive.

Nice !

Thanks!

Nice setup, will be looking at your scape when its finished. Should be nice to see with the shallow rimless tank look & once its filled with corals.

I hope i can scape it well!

bro, my tank very similar to yours. Shallow is good choice.. Easy maintenance, easy to catch fish, easy to rescape. I eradicated a zoa eating nudibranch problem just by using hands and forceps. Also, choose your wave maker and sand with care or else sandstorm.

yeah i love shallow too.. the wp-40 would be making a sandstorm if i use any fine sand.. using special grade (1 - 2mm) so should be fine.

Hi bro, nice tank, I think I met u when u are picking up your rocks. :)

Yes bro! Thanks for the great advice you provided! hope the fishes you bought are doing well..

Hi Bro, some pointers from a shallow reefer point of view.

1) Since you are using an overflow for your tank to sump, unlike those sump incorporated in same tank type, are you able to control pump flow-rate? Least you can adjust the water level in main tank. REMEMBER to install non-return valves. Not sure back-flow will happen in your design, that is hell alot of water to mop out of the sump!

2) Not sure if your sump layout allows, but try to push all the tall skimmer items to the back. put the smaller footprint pumps near to you for easy maintenance. I notice you use cable tie for the hose connection, it should not leak if you use the correct hose size.

3) Based on your tank surface and sump surface, its about 1 is to 4 ratio for water level, be very careful when u do water change, the sump water level drops very fast.

4) For your cabinet height the view generally will be from top view, since i assume you would be kneeling down to view most of the time. Since you are putting wave maker, it is more ideal to place the wave maker towards the mid/lower level, else there wouldn't be any view with the water surface turbulent. Even when u solve this, there is still the reflections from the led bulbs.

5) U might want to consider going bare bottom, to prevent a sandstorm, for shallow tanks, you need to minus the sand height and the clearance for over-flow height, not sure if you have that much space left by then, we are always greedy for space. Bare bottom makes the vacuuming hell a lot easier. If you opt for full water tank level, be prepare to sacrifice some choices of jumping fishes.

6) Before all other events, it would be ideal to put vaseline on all hinges and screws ends, to keep the rust out.

7) Ensure u have enough ventilation for the chiller, not sure where u will be placing it.

8) Dont be lazy, there should be at least 3 pumps in your sump.

Good luck to the many more back-breaking weekends... :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, some pointers from a shallow reefer point of view.

1) Since you are using an overflow for your tank to sump, unlike those sump incorporated in same tank type, are you able to control pump flow-rate? Least you can adjust the water level in main tank. REMEMBER to install non-return valves. Not sure back-flow will happen in your design, that is hell alot of water to mop out of the sump!

yes got drill holes in return pipe to make sure theres no siphon going back in case the pump fails..

2) Not sure if your sump layout allows, but try to push all the tall skimmer items to the back. put the smaller footprint pumps near to you for easy maintenance. I notice you use cable tie for the hose connection, it should not leak if you use the correct hose size.

sump layout dosn't allow that, but i can pretty easily reach to the back for maintenance.

3) Based on your tank surface and sump surface, its about 1 is to 4 ratio for water level, be very careful when u do water change, the sump water level drops very fast.

Yes bro, sump is very small for the main tank size.. will take note!

4) For your cabinet height the view generally will be from top view, since i assume you would be kneeling down to view most of the time. Since you are putting wave maker, it is more ideal to place the wave maker towards the mid/lower level, else there wouldn't be any view with the water surface turbulent. Even when u solve this, there is still the reflections from the led bulbs.

i'll be sitting on my small ikea chair to view! viewing from top should be quite hard with the LEDs and water movement..

5) U might want to consider going bare bottom, to prevent a sandstorm, for shallow tanks, you need to minus the sand height and the clearance for over-flow height, not sure if you have that much space left by then, we are always greedy for space. Bare bottom makes the vacuuming hell a lot easier. If you opt for full water tank level, be prepare to sacrifice some choices of jumping fishes.

Honestly, i do not like the view of bare bottom.. in order to prevent sandstorm i chose carib sea special grade... hopefully its coarse enough to prevent sand storm.

6) Before all other events, it would be ideal to put vaseline on all hinges and screws ends, to keep the rust out.

Will be replacing the hinges with stainless steel hinges.

7) Ensure u have enough ventilation for the chiller, not sure where u will be placing it.

Chiller will be placed outside of cabinet.

8) Dont be lazy, there should be at least 3 pumps in your sump.

Dont really get what you mean.. but i guess i do have 3 pumps..

1) 1260 return pump

2) Eheim compact 1000 (chiller and rowaphos)

3) Biopellet pump

4) skimmer pump

Good luck to the many more back-breaking weekends... :thumbsup:

Thanks bro! to be frank, its my 2nd tank and im only 6 months into reefing.. there's a TON of stuff i do not know about.. i've never had a sump tank before too. i hope all things goes well.

• SRC Member

Nice tank bro. <br />Bro amb...is rigjt. Sum bit small and make sure cabinet stable.

Thanks bro! yes sump is indeed very small... but should be ok.. sump's 80L..

Cabinet used to hold 400L freshwater and 2x 30L salt water tank.. should be fine. got 8 legs on the cabinet!

yes got drill holes in return pipe to make sure theres no siphon going back in case the pump fails..

sump layout dosn't allow that, but i can pretty easily reach to the back for maintenance.

Yes bro, sump is very small for the main tank size.. will take note!

i'll be sitting on my small ikea chair to view! viewing from top should be quite hard with the LEDs and water movement..

Honestly, i do not like the view of bare bottom.. in order to prevent sandstorm i chose carib sea special grade... hopefully its coarse enough to prevent sand storm.

Will be replacing the hinges with stainless steel hinges.

Chiller will be placed outside of cabinet.

Dont really get what you mean.. but i guess i do have 3 pumps..

1) 1260 return pump

2) Eheim compact 1000 (chiller and rowaphos)

3) Biopellet pump

4) skimmer pump

Thanks bro! to be frank, its my 2nd tank and im only 6 months into reefing.. there's a TON of stuff i do not know about.. i've never had a sump tank before too. i hope all things goes well.

i was referring don't use one pump to more than 1 equipment lolx.

Ease of maintenance is relative to age of reefers.... haha...

The whole idea of protecting the hinge is to keep the maintenance low, end of the day, we will change the tank in like 3-4 years time the most?

Stainless steel does rust, it just does not stain. The rust rate depends on the steel grade. Dip your knifes into one of those sps tanks and u will know what i meant.

I see your sump tank only use up to one door length, y dont make it 2 door length? is there some issues for the chiller placement?

• SRC Member

Cabinet is divided into 3 compartment.. So there's really no way I can go for a bigger sump tank. Chiller be placed beside cabinet do its well ventilated

Cabinet is divided into 3 compartment.. So there's really no way I can go for a bigger sump tank. Chiller be placed beside cabinet do its well ventilated

i was thinking u could take out the plywood partition part without taking out the pillars. anyway it is conceal by the doors. it wont be ugly.

• SRC Member
i was thinking u could take out the plywood partition part without taking out the pillars. anyway it is conceal by the doors. it wont be ugly.
Cannot leh.. Try before.. The partition should be part of the support.

• SRC Member

Some updates.. filled the tank and sump with DI water straight to test for leak and to test out my overflow box..

previous owner mentioned he use 2400l/hr pump for the box. However my 1260 (2400l/hr) was too strong for the overflow box to handle. i'll be sourcing for a ball valve to restrict the flow of the 1260.. Reading online suggest that using ball valve on centrifugal pump like 1260 would not damage/overheat the pump, but instead, improve the pump life span since its gonna work less. Anyone know where to find ball valve to fit a 25/34mm pipe?

overflow and return..

the U-pipe in the overflow box is 1" diameter so it should be able to handle 2400l/hr pump.. no idea why it cant.. the return flow feels really strong though!

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-28230405_zps2f3a26b0.jpg.html'>2013-04-28230405_zps2f3a26b0.jpg

testing out the wp-40.. great waves at w1! but worried it may splash out..

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-28230409_zps6331141f.jpg.html'>2013-04-28230409_zps6331141f.jpg

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-28230351_zpsc625e43d.jpg.html'>2013-04-28230351_zpsc625e43d.jpg

Sump tank.. hopefully still got space for some chaeto

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-28230441_zps09a1b2c2.jpg.html'>2013-04-28230441_zps09a1b2c2.jpg

live rock still in pails.. each pail have a powerhead circulating the water.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/2013-04-28230425_zps17a0e7fb.jpg.html'>2013-04-28230425_zps17a0e7fb.jpg