Tempted to start adding live stock

• SRC Member

Need some advise, is the tank ready for live stock(eg corals)?

Currently passed 2nd week into cycling a new setup with live rock and live sand.

Sand had turned yellow (suspect diatoms) and "vacuumed" clean.

Green hairy algae on live rock and glass walls. Scrubbed away using brush.

Completed 10% water change.

Test result with API reef master kit - seems too good to be true.

Calcium - 440ppm

Carbonate - 214.8ppm

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Salinity - 1.021

Many forums says wait for 4 - 6 weeks.

• SRC Member

My answer would clearly follow ur last sentence... Patience<br /><br />Imho, u might wanna try another brand of test kit just to be sure... Ur carbonate reading seems weird

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

correct me if im wrong.. but shouldn't there be some sort of nitrate? no nitrate means theres no bacteria producing it.. did u add any prawn meat to let it rot in the tank during cycling?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

According to the test kit, carbonate hardness (KH) test,12 drops = 12dKH = 214.8 ppm KH. Patience, noted. :) Nope, I did not add any food to rot. I can see a yellow liquid in the collection cup of the skimmer. I am guessing the nitrate reading is due to the efficiency of the skimmer or the consumption by the algae that is on the live rocks. However, I am keen to try adding dead shrimp. Do you know where to get them and how much to get? Thank you.

According to the test kit, carbonate hardness (KH) test,12 drops = 12dKH = 214.8 ppm KH. Patience, noted. :) Nope, I did not add any food to rot. I can see a yellow liquid in the collection cup of the skimmer. I am guessing the nitrate reading is due to the efficiency of the skimmer or the consumption by the algae that is on the live rocks. However, I am keen to try adding dead shrimp. Do you know where to get them and how much to get? Thank you.
Any market prawn will do.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advise.

BTW, pellets = fish food right?

Some recommends adding "ammonium hydroxide" while others claim that live rock and live sand is sufficient.

hmm... guess, I will just try a little of each.

Also, due to space constrains I used an external canister filter but not a sump. Will that have a serious impact?

Attached are some green hair & slime algae that had blossomed on the live rocks. Any advise?

post-22745-0-62828700-1367208136_thumb.j

post-22745-0-27659000-1367208129_thumb.j

• SRC Member

some pts which might be helpful to u.

u might want to throw in a pc of prawn, dose bacteria, off your skimmer, dont have to switch on lightings, no water change before cycling is completed.

• SRC Member

u can get some good bacteria from henry at clementi. i used his for my cycling. pretty good. You can just inform him your tank size than he calculate for you the dosage. Get the powder one (cant rmb what it is called but rmb him saying something about it being grade A bacteria etc).

i recall that if you do a dose and water not cloudy using his quite safe to say can slowly add lifestock liao (at least thats what i did. dose not cloudy waited 3 days and add). i know not really by protocol but thinking back i am glad i used this method coz my testkit were all expired haha dint even realize...

• SRC Member
Need some advise, is the tank ready for live stock(eg corals)? Currently passed 2nd week into cycling a new setup with live rock and live sand. Sand had turned yellow (suspect diatoms) and "vacuumed" clean. Green hairy algae on live rock and glass walls. Scrubbed away using brush. Completed 10% water change. Test result with API reef master kit - seems too good to be true. Calcium - 440ppm Carbonate - 214.8ppm Phosphate - 0 Nitrate - 0 Salinity - 1.021 Many forums says wait for 4 - 6 weeks.
u never test for ammonia??

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Noted, will look for a test kit that contains ammonia test. Did a marine/corals "marathon" today... Went to Pasir Ris Farmway 1,2,3 then Aquamarin and the fish channel. So many places to get so many types of corals. Don't know where/what to start when the tank is ready. Guess it is back to more googling. :P

It's better to stock slowly.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Agreed, but what to start? Saw Zoos, very nice frags and some mushrooms. Zoos looks so colorful. Having doubts if my T5 is sufficient. I guess ultimately it will still be the wallet that is deciding.
U can start with some zoas. Generally soft corals are more hardy than hard corals.