Sunset Millie

From my work experience with LED's , try not to dim LED's as it will colour shift and that's maybe why SPS colour starts to change .

Best is to light with 100% output + hang lights fixtures high and gradually shift down ( to prevent burnt SPS )

Also old school LED fixtures comes with daylight and blue LED only, does not give optimal colour temp spread . Those newer PAR 38 with Multi LED or multi colour waffer LED with different LED should be better. these multi colour LED gives out full light spectrum

Also fixtures with individual colour LED thats equally spread across ( not bunched together ) does not given even light spread ( example 3ft fixture with 3 red LED . the red coverage is not throughout the tank, only on spots !

Anyhow, my lights is arriving next week and will take picture before and after 1 month

• SRC Member

This is a good discussion. Thks for those that share your experiences about LED here. Still welcome any replies here. Btw, sorry to hijack this thread. Bro pandagold, hope to hear from u soon, regarding your new LED. I do need more positive feedbacks to boost up back my confidence in LED. Pics will be better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Btw, bro evolutionz, i believe u are using the 16k version because i saw your sale of zoas, the water color is quite blue or was the photos taken when channel B is higher than channel A?

• SRC Member

From my work experience with LED's , try not to dim LED's as it will colour shift and that's maybe why SPS colour starts to change .

Best is to light with 100% output + hang lights fixtures high and gradually shift down ( to prevent burnt SPS )

Also old school LED fixtures comes with daylight and blue LED only, does not give optimal colour temp spread . Those newer PAR 38 with Multi LED or multi colour waffer LED with different LED should be better. these multi colour LED gives out full light spectrum

Also fixtures with individual colour LED thats equally spread across ( not bunched together ) does not given even light spread ( example 3ft fixture with 3 red LED . the red coverage is not throughout the tank, only on spots !

Anyhow, my lights is arriving next week and will take picture before and after 1 month

Agree with what you said regarding the light spread, thats why certain fixture like evergrow which uses 2 red on 2 different spot will have this problem, especially if tight lenses is used.

from what i know, maxspect razor uses warm white which supplements more than enough red and green and yet do not get such disco light spots. what light set u getting anyway?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Btw, bro evolutionz, i believe u are using the 16k version because i saw your sale of zoas, the water color is quite blue or was the photos taken when channel B is higher than channel A?

yes 16k version, you are right bro, i do not turn on 100% on both channel as that will definitely bleach my corals since i have a shallow tank. my max peak % is A:60%, B:80%.. that pic was taken late at night when my B is much higher than my channel A, thus the blue look..

• SRC Member

I guess using 16k will be better than my ptevious 10k. Dun know why but i have this feeling that more blue will bring out the colors more. That is what i learnt after switch back to T5, with 50% or more tubes using blue, to obtain 12k spectrum.

Bro sunnymau, is your SPS big colony or small frags? I heard about u using this LED from ML but yet to see it in person.

I have been using orphek since day one, first using nilus now Atlantik both give me good result! Where do u stay? Maybe can drop by my place and see the light in action for urself, even my clams at the bottom of the tank color up and growing. Too busy to take photos, i must say after changing to Atlantik, the sps are coloring up really nicely.

• SRC Member

I guess using 16k will be better than my ptevious 10k. Dun know why but i have this feeling that more blue will bring out the colors more. That is what i learnt after switch back to T5, with 50% or more tubes using blue, to obtain 12k spectrum.

i personally prefer a blueish look too but my sps color is similar even if i turn on 100% on both channel. you will probably be much happier if you bought the 16k in the first place. i initially wanted to use 4 tube t5 for my tank too.. but every 6 - 8 months must change 4 tubes abit chor for me.

@sunnymau, think i saw orphek at henry's shop and they look great.. your tank looks great with the nilus too!

And also, henry has a very hard time trying to convince me due to the bad experience i had, after using 3 different types of LED lightset for 4 years & my SPS colors all browns. After switch back to T5, the colors came back. Most SPS tanks here uses T5, with rare case of success with LED. Not only here, as well as on reefcentral. The forum there are more honest & i think it is due to culture. We asian are more conservative in how we speak & thus most keep quiet, whether failure or success. Henry even 'on' the lightset to show me. I am still not convince. LEDs cannot make it for SPS. This technology still in infant stages, T5 has been proven. I have to be honest here so that reefing can take a big leap forward in the area of SPS keeping. Is not that the purpose of setting up this forum in the first place? Those with success or failures, leave your honest comments here but of course, dun mention brands with failures.

Hi bro, I do share the same view as you regarding the sharing from reef central and the local forum. For me, I also haven see a very successful sps using led. As successful sps tank is very subjective, everyone has different view, even in term of colour. I also seldom see red sps only a few but every now and then, there are people posting red sps for sale when the colour look pink to me or the photo is heavily edited till hand also look red.

Let see whether more people will contribute more successful tank with led. I will love to change to led due to it advantage in electric saving and also no need to change bulb.

• Like 1

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

I do see some tank doing well with LED, those LEDs has violet, green & red LEDs bulb in place unlike last time only white and blue. It depend on what type of sps color you looking at. Soon in near future led may overtake so we just got wait for more people to do RND on the led for aquarium. Most led bulb they use is for industrial use. So far never get to know any no led bulb is design for marine use.

• SRC Member

Lol, bro mengyang_neo, your statement about photoshop till hand also red is very funny, but it is true, sad to say. Bro kakani, u re right & i believe R&D are being done now so LED will become better. It is the future & we have to wait unless the orphek atlantik blows my 'eyes' off. Btw, already going to construct fixtures for hanging lights, be it ATI T5 or LED. Already got a sponsor in this forum to do that. I am serious this time.

Bro sunnymau, i stay in the west. I would of course like to see your atlantik in action.

Cool, I stay at west too, cck. I will be back to Singapore by Thursday, do let me when u r available.

• SRC Member

I also second that on dimming LED.

LED dimming is using PWM. That means that there is flickering unseen to human eyes. We do not know how it affects zooxantellae and the host.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry Bro, what is PWM?

Pulse Wave Modulation

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Just like mengyang_neo, I have yet to see a nicely coloured sps tank myself except for bro lawchan's tank which is radion + T5, that's the best coloured sps tank using led i see so far. I believe there are some leds hidden dragons laying low in this forum, please share your experiences and observations and post some FTS pics.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Just like mengyang_neo, I have yet to see a nicely coloured sps tank myself except for bro lawchan's tank which is radion + T5, that's the best coloured sps tank using led i see so far. I believe there are some leds hidden dragons laying low in this forum, please share your experiences and observations and post some FTS pics.

I believe what mengyang means is witnessing an LED-only lit tank housing growing and colourful challenging SPS corals e.g. Fiji sps, tonga and aussie montiporas, acropora abratonoides (kitkat), a.humilis, etc.

Personally I have never used LEDs but T5s and MHs certainly provide sufficient lighting to keep difficult SPS species and types.

• SRC Member

Yup, LED alone reef tank, not yet seen one that are colourful enough. But good growth, polyps extension on LED tank, Yes!

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium