Sunset Millie

• SRC Member

Thank bro . Now have to wait patiently for SPS to colour . Only wish for now

Beautiful set up bro, IMHO, if this set up still does not color up your sps, im pretty sure its something else that is paling your SPS.. your Light is definitely going to work.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Great Article. It has to have many complete condition to have successful tank . Lights, water perimeter , water change , dosing etc etc.. must be " one the ball "

An interesting read.

Coral color is NOT necessarily an indicator of success or health

Based on yesterday's full day LED tanning, some corals responded well ( colour and polyps extention ) , especially my newly acquired Green Stag with extended polyps , and not to mention both your acan's all fluffy and coloured up .

Beautiful set up bro, IMHO, if this set up still does not color up your sps, im pretty sure its something else that is paling your SPS.. your Light is definitely going to work.

I have this blue SPS ( body blue and brown polyps ) .

I experimented with using an old ATI T5 ( aged about 9 months old ) placed above this Blue SPS.

Guess what, after my return after 1.5 weeks , this Sps turned Green , replacing it's blue color !!!!!

This is one of my primary reason for building this LED set to hopefully stabilize color of all SPS and Monti

post-15886-0-72217600-1373253757_thumb.j

If I recalled, there was no change in water perimeter ( tested potessium , both times and currently high values ) .

I guess with older T5 being 9 months old, the colour spectrum must have shifted cause the bulb looked rather greenish / blueish

I've explained to my wife corals can change colour overnight ( short period of time ) , but it will take weeks / months to revert back to it's " healthy " state ( that was her most favourate SPS )

After 3rd day with LED .

Pictures taken without any lights on tank . Only ambiance lighting for my ceiling lights

Pink birds nest getting much more intensive pink

post-15886-0-72966100-1373386058_thumb.j

Purple verlida tips getting purplish and hopefully work it's way to the bottom

post-15886-0-61278700-1373386210_thumb.j

Blue digi growth seen , and body and tips blue

post-15886-0-38561400-1373386300_thumb.j

Something for sharing by our fellow friends in RC.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136083

Above thread demonstrates that LEDS can grow SPS but question remains if you like the colours LED pulls out of the corals.

Also the thread shows the power of LEDS which means us to have a higher ceiling to allow better coverage of the tank so that corals are not subjected to single colour source and instead a cross mixture of different colours ie. a more complete spectrum.

Personally, I have been observing this thread as well as others on the development of LEDs and still find them wanting. As a mixed reef person and lover, it is not easy to sustain zoas and certain softies beyond a certain threshold.

Nevertheless I do live by the fact that LEDs provide the best actinic colouration to our corals.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Best study I've done and results I've seen todate with LED are those multi coloured LED in a compact cluster ( wafer type ) .

Those multi coloured Cluster LED found on wafer type LED would be the best, as multi coloured source is from on compact point and is spread evenly over a larger surface , rather than single coloured individually spaced coloured LED's at a specific distance ( individual colour LED spaced at say 5 cm apart ... single red , singe blue , single white spaced out evenly over the entire fixture, so the red only covers one spot etc... )

But than again, these Multi coloured wafer type LED has a major drawback, heat ( needs huge heat sink ) and light output ( Par level ) due to there is not optics at this moment to intensify or magnify from the source ( and also due to the heat it produces, may melt the optics ) . This is why these wafer type LED are relatively high powered LED to compensate for lack of optics

For my case, I could not find in the market these compact multi LED wafer ( and if I do find them, I'll likely to electricute myself . No good at soldering ! ) , so I had to experiment with Par 38 with individual Multi cluster LED that's individual LED spaced slightly apart but close enough for the individual LED to cross over based on the current height I have hung .

For my tank, one Bro was nice to loan me the same par 38 I have now, and based on height to achieve this angle and throw, I was able to compute I needed 5 on each side . So far there is no spotting effect by the par's, but than again my my corals will show and tell in the coming weeks .

I think one of my bro told me that Radion did that TIR lens to enhance the single source light point into a compact source hence the crossing of lights.

Nonetheless looking forward to your results.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

This is very informative & it is gonna help a lot of fellow reefers using LED. Good work. Keep us posted on more results & info.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hows your sps doing with ur new light set TS?

Just showing some more updates of mine :

I bought this totally brown German Blue digitata about almost 2 months ago..

This pic was taken probably 1 month+ ago showing it starting to color up.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03358_zpsea386b7a.jpg.html'>DSC03358_zpsea386b7a.jpg

This is today. The blue is definitely coming back but slow. Growth also very slow.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/fissiden001/DSC03531_zps0b225c9a.jpg.html'>DSC03531_zps0b225c9a.jpg

My sunset millie i bought about a month ago.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/DSC03306_zps30604236.jpg.html'>DSC03306_zps30604236.jpg

previously on the left side of the tank, ytd just shifted directly under my razor's cluster.

Right now the color is staying and the polyps turned from brown to green encrusting slowly too.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/fissiden001/DSC03520_zps0bbac47c.jpg.html'>DSC03520_zps0bbac47c.jpg

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Zoa is doing well. Eagle eye Zoa red is popping, uti managed to burn my green stag, last week when i focused 1 par 38 directly.

Pink BN is getting pink , but purple valida still not coloring up ??? ... Still looking pale ?

My plate has turned green ( original colour ) when I first had it , which had stayed brown for almost 6-9 months . Bought from one bro blue Acro , and it's turning bluer .

Just started dosing dailing Grotech ABC+ M 2 day back and hopefully I can see changes in the near future

I've attached some pics . My Chilli Monti green still is faded ? May have to redirect my light away

post-15886-0-87246000-1375520726_thumb.j

post-15886-0-35699300-1375520736_thumb.j

post-15886-0-31242600-1375520747_thumb.j

post-15886-0-35543300-1375520760_thumb.j

post-15886-0-64465000-1375520772_thumb.j

post-15886-0-13672500-1375520785_thumb.j

post-15886-0-19098400-1375520794_thumb.j

post-15886-0-59770400-1375520804_thumb.j

post-15886-0-23943000-1375520814_thumb.j

post-15886-0-87054400-1375520841_thumb.j

Zoa is doing well. Eagle eye Zoa red is popping, uti managed to burn my green stag, last week when i focused 1 par 38 directly.

Pink BN is getting pink , but purple valida still not coloring up ??? ... Still looking pale ?

My plate has turned green ( original colour ) when I first had it , which had stayed brown for almost 6-9 months . Bought from one bro blue Acro , and it's turning bluer .

Just started dosing dailing Grotech ABC+ M 2 day back and hopefully I can see changes in the near future

I've attached some pics . My Chilli Monti green still is faded ? May have to redirect my light away

Very nice sps colour. Using led also? Grotech seem got good result in coral.