Sunset Millie

But MG is easy to replace. Grab a good pail of salt or run a CR and it will be done.

Going by buying MG flakes proves a hassle as you'll find volume of flakes lost through melting of flakes into water.

In any case true. Mg is just as important but it is not something I'll pay alot of attention on. I find KH and Ca more impt with KH the most important.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Mg is the component that prevents Ca ions to bind with Carbonates ions in the water column.

Without sufficient amount in the water column Ca binds with carbonate to become Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) which is the percipitation. Molecule movements is easier in higher temperature. This then makes the power head the likely place that precipitation occurs as 8t is warmer and water pass through.

Bro do u mean low Mg prevents binding of CA with carbonates to bind ....

Mg is the component that prevents Ca ions to bind with Carbonates ions in the water column.Without sufficient amount in the water column Ca binds with carbonate to become Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) which is the percipitation. Molecule movements is easier in higher temperature. This then makes the power head the likely place that precipitation occurs as 8t is warmer and water pass through.

They are all the same . Nano requires much more attention due to lower water volume , whilst larger tanks ( depending on size ) has larger water volume to manage, and fluctuation is much consistent ( unless like me totally screw it up with my KH !! ).

What about nano tank?

Finally KH stabilizing at 8.5 with lights is on . And my purple valida tips starting to colour up again

Now changing water twice a week with 35 liter water change , as I'm feeding my fish more . Found out my tank is Low nutrient that's causing my Sps to become pale . ( I don't feed my fish much - 3 times a week ! . Some reefers says my fish very slim and on diet )

Practicing high nutrient import - now feeding 2 time a day , and export method to maintain higher nutrient and control my no3 and po4 . Let's see after 1 month if I succeed to bring out SPS colour

After 3 weeks of using Redsea Pro salt, it does increase growth of my SPS ! And constantly having to re-adjust my KH/ Mg and CA ( Ca constantly dropping below 400 due to heavy absorption and growth )

Finally KH stabilizing at 8.5 with lights is on . And my purple valida tips starting to colour up again

Now changing water twice a week with 35 liter water change , as I'm feeding my fish more . Found out my tank is Low nutrient that's causing my Sps to become pale . ( I don't feed my fish much - 3 times a week ! . Some reefers says my fish very slim and on diet )

Practicing high nutrient import - now feeding 2 time a day , and export method to maintain higher nutrient and control my no3 and po4 . Let's see after 1 month if I succeed to bring out SPS colour

After 3 weeks of using Redsea Pro salt, it does increase growth of my SPS ! And constantly having to re-adjust my KH/ Mg and CA ( Ca constantly dropping below 400 due to heavy absorption and growth )

Same problem. My sps pale out because of low feeding regime to fishes.

How many fishes are you holding now?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Have 1 blue and yellow tang + 5 cardinals + 2 small clown ( not heavy feeders coupled by my low feeding )

I was informed we need to maintain some form ( low levels ) of NO3 as it's a food source for SPS .

Having low nutrient tank does strip away all the nutrients and SPS is starved , thus turning it pale .

personally I think this is a stressful hobby , but hindside fun learning process results in ear to near similes when we tame nature especially when SPS grows and colours

Same problem. My sps pale out because of low feeding regime to fishes.

How many fishes are you holding now?

• SRC Member

Yes, Bro pandagold. Based on my own experience, some traces of NO3 does help in SPS colors, long term health & survival. Not only SPS but also other corals. Exact concentration i am not too sure but around 2-5ppm should not be a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought no fish should be better for SPS?

Nope base on what I see bali, Australia coral do well and better in colour with No3 less then 5ppm but for fiji coral do hold pale colour no3 need to be near 0. It depend on what colour you want your sps to be pale or more intense colour.

by right in the sea, the nutrients are very low, however at night the sea is full of food for the corals.

in our closed system tank, as long as you have ample food for the corals, it is good to have ULNS (Ultra low nutrients system).

if you strip the water too clean and not providing food for your corals, your sps will likely to suffer.

Thus, you have to make a balance, water too clean and lacking in food for sps, not good.

water not clean with high nutrients, sps will not be happy too.

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

Have 1 blue and yellow tang + 5 cardinals + 2 small clown ( not heavy feeders coupled by my low feeding )

I was informed we need to maintain some form ( low levels ) of NO3 as it's a food source for SPS .

Having low nutrient tank does strip away all the nutrients and SPS is starved , thus turning it pale .

personally I think this is a stressful hobby , but hindside fun learning process results in ear to near similes when we tame nature especially when SPS grows and colours

Hahaha don't stress lah. Just a hobby. No tangible liabilities but alot of intangible benefits.

Oh your fish count is better than mine. Guess I should buck my list up haha..

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Just came home after 1 week outstationed . According to my wife she's been feeding the fishes 2-3 times a day and my surprise was ,y SPS started colouring up . My green stag was browned outpreviously but now it's body is starting to turn green . But my KH fell back to 7-8 kdh ( night ) will test again tomorrow after 3 hrs lights on . Saw some of Zoa melted ? Don't know why ? May be due to high kH fluctuation when my KH dosing container was empty

Pics of my Blue SPS, purple valida ( purple colouring up ), purple poci and German blue digi gradually Colouring up

My iPhone can't take better pictures against physically seeing the real thing

Since my tank is still low nutrient , I have to constantly feed my fishes and minimize water change for the moment . Noticed after each water change , my SPS starts to get slightly pale due to reduction of No3

Thinking of ways to increase my No3 without effecting my other water perimeters

post-15886-0-60548900-1378371257_thumb.j

post-15886-0-56328900-1378371276_thumb.j

post-15886-0-38326600-1378371289_thumb.j

post-15886-0-05220300-1378371329_thumb.j

post-15886-0-92823300-1378371436_thumb.j

post-15886-0-67521000-1378371446_thumb.j

Pics of my Blue SPS, purple valida ( purple colouring up ), purple poci and German blue digi gradually Colouring up

My iPhone can't take better pictures against physically seeing the real thing

Since my tank is still low nutrient , I have to constantly feed my fishes and minimize water change for the moment . Noticed after each water change , my SPS starts to get slightly pale due to reduction of No3

Thinking of ways to increase my No3 without effecting my other water perimeters[/quote

Super beautiful. Nice.