Mini Nano

Hey fellow reefers,

Just would like to share with my newly setup mini nano (approx. 13"x8"x8"). Its about 2 months old with 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Doctor Shrimp, a couple of mushrooms and polyps. Hopefully it will evolve to a great mini reef. It is the first time that I set up this small, a real challenge for myself being a novice in this arena. Any great ideas/advice from you guys is greatly appreciated. What to put? What has better chance of survival? etc...

Will try my very best to update this thread.

post-21908-0-28668800-1367819233_thumb.j

post-21908-0-87738800-1367820045_thumb.j

Looks clean enough, good job.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thanks. I do a water change twice weekly plus daily top up of DI water. Is that enough for a tank this small? All water parameters are fine with Nitrate at 10ppm.

nice setup bro! with the low bioload i think its more than enough

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

remember to take out and wash your HOB once every 1 - 2 weeks... i once forgot to wash and my nitrate went up to 10+.. after washing it gradually dropped to 5~ and the HOB was really dirty! the biohome and other media inside was trapping alot of detritus.

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

remember to take out and wash your HOB once every 1 - 2 weeks... i once forgot to wash and my nitrate went up to 10+.. after washing it gradually dropped to 5~ and the HOB was really dirty! the biohome and other media inside was trapping alot of detritus.

Oooo... thanks for reminding me on this man... overlook on this part. Have not washed it since I set it up. Maybe that is the cause of the high nitrate at times. Will wash it on the next water change in 3 days time. Thank you again!! :groupwavereversed:

Thanks. I do a water change twice weekly plus daily top up of DI water. Is that enough for a tank this small? All water parameters are fine with Nitrate at 10ppm.
Think it still can be better.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Your nitrates do seem kind of high. Do watch out for algae, diatoms etc. Do you have a lid to reduce evaporation? Do you have any clean up crew? Are you planning on adding any fishes or invertebrates? What lights are you using? I personally recommend green star polyps and mushrooms because they are one of the easiest and one of my favourites. Possibly some shrimps later on.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

IMO, Zoanthids, Hammer, elegance, frogspawn and bubble corals are pretty easy coral. but probably only zoanthids can fit TS's tank well..

Your nitrates do seem kind of high. Do watch out for algae, diatoms etc. Do you have a lid to reduce evaporation? Do you have any clean up crew? Are you planning on adding any fishes or invertebrates? What lights are you using? I personally recommend green star polyps and mushrooms because they are one of the easiest and one of my favourites. Possibly some shrimps later on.
No lid. Don't mind the daily topup. Not much though. Currently thinking of putting hermit crab and snails to partner with an existing doctor shrimp. For lighting, am using just a simple led.
IMO, Zoanthids, Hammer, elegance, frogspawn and bubble corals are pretty easy coral. but probably only zoanthids can fit TS's tank well..
Thinking of putting hammer, torch and frogspawn. Small frags that is.

No lid. Don't mind the daily topup. Not much though. Currently thinking of putting hermit crab and snails to partner with an existing doctor shrimp. For lighting, am using just a simple led. Thinking of putting hammer, torch and frogspawn. Small frags that is.
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but I don't think it's advisable to have a hammer, torch, frogspawn or bubble coral in your setup, even though they are so so pretty. These corals need more space and they also have stinging tentacles that may harm your other livestock or adjacent corals. They are quite sensitive to changes in water parameters in small setups and are also prone to brown jelly disease and if it dies suddenly, it may pollute your water quickly although I know WC is easy. These are just some of the risks that you need to consider.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but I don't think it's advisable to have a hammer, torch, frogspawn or bubble coral in your setup, even though they are so so pretty. These corals need more space and they also have stinging tentacles that may harm your other livestock or adjacent corals. They are quite sensitive to changes in water parameters in small setups and are also prone to brown jelly disease and if it dies suddenly, it may pollute your water quickly although I know WC is easy. These are just some of the risks that you need to consider.

IMO i think a single or 2 small head hammer will do just fine.. during the last 2 weeks of my 34L nano, i was so busy with setting up my big tank, i didn't do much WC nor did i clean the algae off the tank. water got pretty dirty for sure.. Hammer still continue to thrive and doing great in my big tank now..

No worries bro. You dont dampen anything. Thanks for the valuable advice. Will take note.

• 6 months later...