SOS: Need help urgently i just got stung by Sea Urchin

need help urgently as this is my first time touching marine creature , i just got stung by the Sea Urchin , i accidentally touch the sea urchin needle and the needle got stuck in my finger and i quickly pull it out and i feel very painful now . Is there any poison do i need to consult the doctor asap ?

Thanks for reading and helping .

need help urgently as this is my first time touching marine creature , i just got stung by the Sea Urchin , i accidentally touch the sea urchin needle and the needle got stuck in my finger and i quickly pull it out and i feel very painful now . Is there any poison do i need to consult the doctor asap ?

Thanks for reading and helping .

Use vinegar.

http://m.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Sea-Urchin-Sting

• SRC Member

For me 1 or 2 days the pain will gone... never see any doctor

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

Vinegar works only on external burns. Internal envenomation like for lionfish & sea urchin best to use hot water, as hot as you are able to tolerate, soak the affected limb in the water for few mins.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Sponsor

Yes, as what Fuel mentioned, the hot water treatment is good.

To what extend one could be affected depend largely on whether you develop allergic reaction and the species of urchin.

Oftentime, its just the severe pain that subside over time.

Should you develop a fever, puffy eyes or increase heart beats, best to consult a doctor. Stay calm though.

Do you know what species it is?

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

The swelling should go down in a few days, they only release a small amount of venom that is negligible, the spine will dissolve that is under your skin over time unless you can pluck it out.. I dun think this is one of the deadly one, I might be wrong, I only know the fire urchin amd flower urchin are the more deadly and require doctor attention immediately..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

I have stung by sea urchin few times ... tuxedo not really pain but black long spined real painful remain about 1hr only after I take panadol acti-fast ... stung by foxface rabbitfish b4 really pain until kenot sleep more than 12hrs ...

For me 1 or 2 days the pain will gone... never see any doctor

Vinegar works only on external burns. Internal envenomation like for lionfish & sea urchin best to use hot water, as hot as you are able to tolerate, soak the affected limb in the water for few mins.

Best to consult doctor. No point saving $$$, life is more precious then dollars and cents.

Yes, as what Fuel mentioned, the hot water treatment is good.

To what extend one could be affected depend largely on whether you develop allergic reaction and the species of urchin.

Oftentime, its just the severe pain that subside over time.

Should you develop a fever, puffy eyes or increase heart beats, best to consult a doctor. Stay calm though.

Do you know what species it is?

The swelling should go down in a few days, they only release a small amount of venom that is negligible, the spine will dissolve that is under your skin over time unless you can pluck it out.. I dun think this is one of the deadly one, I might be wrong, I only know the fire urchin amd flower urchin are the more deadly and require doctor attention immediately..

Hope you recover soon......

I have stung by sea urchin few times ... tuxedo not really pain but black long spined real painful remain about 1hr only after I take panadol acti-fast ... stung by foxface rabbitfish b4 really pain until kenot sleep more than 12hrs ...

thanks for the concern everyone :blush:

Guess i dare not keep sea urchin anymore :(

• Sponsor

I just did the hot water treatment mention by Fuel , currently feeling alright the pain is not as painful as just now anymore .

This is the species , hopefully its not poison ?

vdfdf.png

That's a Hatpin Urchin, echinox calamari.

There are thick long banded spines and shorter, thin fine spines.

The thin fine spines are the stingers.

Its sting is very painful, like bee sting. Not fatal.

If its just a singer stab, the pain should subside in 2 hours.

Cheers

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Just to set records straight. Pee/vinegar does not work for internal envenomation via urchin/lionfish/stonefish. Only sensible treatment is hot water. Only use pee/vinegar if sting is external, i.e jellyfish stings.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/