Growing GSP on the Wall of Tank

oceania

Hi,

I'm thinking of growing GSP on the back wall of my tank. Is it more adviseable to let the GSP multiply on a small rock before trying to attach it to the glass or should I attach the frag I bought to the glass directly?

• SRC Member

My species of gsp doesn't grow on walls as they grow horizontal.. what I did was to grow them horizontally on netting then stick netting vertically..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of growing GSP on the back wall of my tank. Is it more adviseable to let the GSP multiply on a small rock before trying to attach it to the glass or should I attach the frag I bought to the glass directly?

Honestly if you're gonna keep this tank for a long time, and are gonna put other corals in it this won't be advisable. I have seen tanks where the gsp spread like wildfire and covered the whole tank. Given enough time they'll go across the sandbed and spread to the rocks, making it very difficult to totally get rid of them if you have to.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Most SPS still small but growing quite fast.

GSP use to cover whole tank bottom, but it was growing onto rocks very quickly, so I had to trim it back. The back bottom of the tank is still covered with GSP.

Wahh very nice bro :wub:

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

ya the gsp looks good, how do you prevent it from growing on the rocks?

I noticed GSP don't like smooth surfaces like glass and acrylic. So I bought some acrylic rods from Art Friend cut them down and stick them to the underside of my rocks. If you look closely at the pictures, you'll noticed the rocks are 'floating' off the glass bottom.

Even with this method, the GSP will still eventually start growing on the acrylic. So I do a monthly or bi-monthly (if I am lazy) inspection of the bottom acrylic. I use a toothbrush to brush off any GSP that grows on the acrylic. This prevents them from reaching the rock. If they get to the rock, the rock is gone...see the GSP rock in the front of the tank in the 2nd picture, GSP reached the rock before I discovered it on that rock. The rock was covered in GSP in less than 2 weeks...