Finally! New place...new tank!

Mellow

Bro mellow,

There are certainly downs in this hobby for me too. But I have learnt important life lessons from this hobby too.

As in our own personal lives, we sometimes hit rock bottom and bounced back up again stronger and wiser than before. No one is infallible and humans will make mistakes. But as long as we remain positive and do our best to try to achieve good results and outcomes, we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Although sometimes I think this hobby is like gambling. I lost too much money here and I'm still forking out more over and over again like an addict, which scares me sometimes. But that's another topic.

So yes, I love your discipline to keep the aquarium clutter free, something that I constantly struggle with but my pocket is only so deep. So, I guess you must have mellowed down somehow hence the nickname. I mean every single word of what I said about your aquarium. Open spaces make us feel more at peace, calm, relaxed etc, because small tight spaces are claustrophobic, even in my mind.

Sorry for me rumbling on and on. It's embarrassing.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Bro mellow,

There are certainly downs in this hobby for me too. But I have learnt important life lessons from this hobby too.

As in our own personal lives, we sometimes hit rock bottom and bounced back up again stronger and wiser than before. No one is infallible and humans will make mistakes. But as long as we remain positive and do our best to try to achieve good results and outcomes, we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. Although sometimes I think this hobby is like gambling. I lost too much money here and I'm still forking out more over and over again like an addict, which scares me sometimes. But that's another topic.

So yes, I love your discipline to keep the aquarium clutter free, something that I constantly struggle with but my pocket is only so deep. So, I guess you must have mellowed down somehow hence the nickname. I mean every single word of what I said about your aquarium. Open spaces make us feel more at peace, calm, relaxed etc, because small tight spaces are claustrophobic, even in my mind.

Sorry for me rumbling on and on. It's embarrassing.

Very well said bro! Really enjoy your writing!! Something very poetic about it somehow, that probably comes from deep within your life experience. Absolutely enjoy people who write well, hearing real stuff and those without b.s. basically. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences too! I really appreciate that!

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• 4 weeks later...

Tank cabinet door at the top got chipped recently as the hinges(the one with hydraulics on the top left) came loose and got misaligned with the cabinet.

Does anyone have contacts to carpenters who are willing to just help change out the door or reface of the cabinet? Any idea of the cost as well? Super heart pain man.

Many thanks folks!post-600-1431855843444_thumb.jpgpost-600-14318558536967_thumb.jpgpost-600-14318558589737_thumb.jpg

The fight with bryopsis continues but at least not spreading and concentrated at high flow area surprisingly. Still had a hard time deciding if it is actually bryopsis or derbesia though.

Been reading that elevated magnesium to levels of 1600 to 1800 might even help but as usual,still a big debate whether it is the magnesium or other elements like sulphate as only certain products like Kent Magnesium with sulphate elements work.

After much reading, I suspect it is due to phosphate leaching from the rocks which much take a while to balance out with the lower phosphate levels in water column which has insignificant reading.

Good thing is the interim measure of a hard working sea hare and kole tang and the clean up crew keeps it from spreading for now, coupled with weekly physical picking off the algae from the rocks.2fc559fea2342e8469d8a72be6a777f7.jpg22befcaa2dac8d4815f1926bc28bf589.jpg2604006c2b2eea10186d9a5a62fc59f6.jpg

In my frustration, I stripped off a large part of gsp on my tank glass due to a patch of bryopsis. Haha. Botak now.

Was really tempted to sell it off as it was like a super big piece of skin intact with polyps...shall spare anyone from inheriting my algae. Haha.41d44422ce318167dc968e77f4090319.jpg

Bro really like your GSP wall. Can I ask how do you do it? Do you place a rock of gsp with some polyps pressed against the back glass panel?

That's right bro!

• SRC Member

Can try the high MG method raise mg using Kent tech-M it will slowly kill the bryspsis proven and tested

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Those in the pics doesn't looked like bryopsis. More like gha. Bryopsis more fern-like looking & doesn't grow so pack together.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Those in the pics doesn't looked like bryopsis. More like gha. Bryopsis more fern-like looking & doesn't grow so pack together.

Hmm. Not sure man honestly. I saw fern like shape actually but couldn't be certain also. I thought gha is just the generic name for the various possible species including der? Not too good with this honestly.

I think it will help if I can have a good Id to the species also. Any thoughts bro?

Can try the high MG method raise mg using Kent tech-M it will slowly kill the bryspsis proven and tested

Hi Ashwin, thanks. Yea I was so tempted to try the magnesium one using Kent tech but apparently it is more effective on bryopsis but if it is other types of algae, it doesn't work.

Have you tried it yourself and how was it? Didn't dare to try partly because I read that some RC members didn't see success as it was a bit hit and miss and some also mentioned the bryopsis coming back weeks later. I'm also worried it might the elevated levels may stress corals or skew my parameters. Any advice on that?

I think I see light with all of your good inputs! First step is to identify the algae I think.

Hmm. Not sure man honestly. I saw fern like shape actually but couldn't be certain also. I thought gha is just the generic name for the various possible species including der? Not too good with this honestly.

I think it will help if I can have a good Id to the species also. Any thoughts bro?

Yes, u r right that gha juz a generic name for different variety of filamentous algae growing together. I have them in my tank too. Difficult to get rid of them once they start growing. Snails dun see to feed on them. Last time my seahare eats them. But now no more sea hare so these gha juz bloom!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Yes, u r right that gha juz a generic name for different variety of filamentous algae growing together. I have them in my tank too. Difficult to get rid of them once they start growing. Snails dun see to feed on them. Last time my seahare eats them. But now no more sea hare so these gha juz bloom!!

Brothers in arm in fighting this nuisance. Haha. Yea, sea hare is super good but my earlier ones somehow don't survive well in my tank. Luckily the current one is a survivor. Are you planning to try the elevated magnesium approach?

Not really, the elevated mg only work on bryopsis, dun think it will work on this type of algae. I'm also fighting red slime too. Sian, haha!!

Root of the problem is there are PO4 in the water

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Root of the problem is there are PO4 in the water

Yes definitely PO4 issue bro which has singled out. Suspect leaching from rocks which I'm still trying to ride out.. apparently when there is equilibrium with water column. The water column registers 0 for phosphate reading on salifert test kit.

I'm wondering if having a little phosphate in water column might help reach equilibrium faster. Haha.

Not really, the elevated mg only work on bryopsis, dun think it will work on this type of algae. I'm also fighting red slime too. Sian, haha!!

Try red slime remover? Works like a charm but last time I used, my monti suffered a bit. I have left overs if u want. Can pass u for free if u want. Only thing is skimmer goes crazy when its added, so must tune lower water level before using

Try red slime remover? Works like a charm but last time I used, my monti suffered a bit. I have left overs if u want. Can pass u for free if u want. Only thing is skimmer goes crazy when its added, so must tune lower water level before using

Thanks for the gd will, bro. Trying to fight cyano with fm marine bakto therapie & blend. See how it goes. If still can't subside, I'll get from u. Really appreciated ur offer.

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro, have you tested out po4?

this is base on my experience.

i do have them once awhile but they no longer appear. i keep my po4 very low and i have not seen any over the months.

also i did notice that my seahare wouldnt have much effect if the current there is pretty strong. i believe the seahare have problem braving the waves lol!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Hi bro, have you tested out po4?

this is base on my experience.

i do have them once awhile but they no longer appear. i keep my po4 very low and i have not seen any over the months.

also i did notice that my seahare wouldnt have much effect if the current there is pretty strong. i believe the seahare have problem braving the waves lol!

Hey bro, yea tested but reading was undetectable based on test kit. Registered 0 on salifert. Yup I will persist and keep my phosphate low for now. See how long the leaching might take

• SRC Member

Not me but one of my close friend won the battle with mg with bryspsis..no comment about the other algaes tho

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Round 3 of my fight against green hair algae has begun, though I haven't identified the type still.

After a chat with a reefer who came my place recently, I've decided to elevate my magnesium level using seachem reef advantage salt which includes both chloride and sulphate. I'll be increasing about 100mg/l everyday.

I'll be documenting my parameters here whenever I test water and also give my best observation of the situation.

PH: 8.4 before lights out. Using ph pen

Specific gravity: 1.026 using refractometer

The below were tested using salifert.

Magnesium: 1380 (previously 1310)

Calcium: 460 (previously 425)

Carbonate: 8.7 (previously 10.2)

Phosphate: undetectable (previously undetectable)

Nitrate: undetectable (previously 0.2)

I'll attempt to bump it magnesium to 1500 minimally and by Monday to 1600 before holding it there for a few weeks.

Wish me luck!

Meantime, I'll still perform fortnightly water changes and my usual routine like plucking algae physically etc.