Feeding SPS

Hi,

Just started on SPS. Thank you Belle for the frags. I wonder what type of coral food that would not cause nutrients to spike. Is oyster egg a good choice? I am dosing abit of Marine snow but not sure if this is the right food for it.

Any buddies care to share?

I using snow also.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Poly roid

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Hi,

Just started on SPS. Thank you Belle for the frags. I wonder what type of coral food that would not cause nutrients to spike. Is oyster egg a good choice? I am dosing abit of Marine snow but not sure if this is the right food for it.

Any buddies care to share?

Hello,

As you are new to SPS keeping, I would suggest not feeding anything for the time being as this will be one less task you would need to bother about. SPS corals can survive and thrive without external feeding. They do even better if fed the right sort of foods but I think that is something you can postpone for now.

Focus on maintaining stable water parameters especially alkalinity and salinity and ensure very low nutrient levels for tank water particularly for phosphates. (NO3 less than 5 ppm ; PO4 less than 0.05 ppm).

Ensure strong random water flow and sufficient lighting (as a guide, replicate what Belle has on her tank).

When you have some assurance in keeping them growing and coloured up, then it's time to look into stuff like feeding sps corals and supplements.

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion Honkit. I will heed your advise and keep it in my mind. I am trying to source for a coral food that does not spike the nutrient level as I am keeping SPS in a NANO tank.

I am still trying to figure out the most ideal configuration to accomodate SPS and hopefully I am successful as many has advise me to stay away from SPS because of tank size.

Stable parameter is the most important beside lighting and strong flow

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion Honkit. I will heed your advise and keep it in my mind. I am trying to source for a coral food that does not spike the nutrient level as I am keeping SPS in a NANO tank.

I am still trying to figure out the most ideal configuration to accomodate SPS and hopefully I am successful as many has advise me to stay away from SPS because of tank size.

SPS corals in a small tank is challenging, even for experienced reefkeepers.

What sort of SPS frags did you get from Belle? Some species are far more forgiving than others.

25% water changes per week would go a long way in maintaining low nutrient levels and replenishing alkalinity and trace elements.

Got pink and yellow BN from her. Does BN require strong light and flow? I have read about BN and also advise from Belle that flow and lighting should not be too strong. I am running a Razor Nano and MP10. If needed, I can turn them up.

I do 15% WC twice a week. So far the parameters seems to be ok except KH about 300++ region. Trying to bring it up slowly

• Sponsor

Hello,

As you are new to SPS keeping, I would suggest not feeding anything for the time being as this will be one less task you would need to bother about. SPS corals can survive and thrive without external feeding. They do even better if fed the right sort of foods but I think that is something you can postpone for now.

Focus on maintaining stable water parameters especially alkalinity and salinity and ensure very low nutrient levels for tank water particularly for phosphates. (NO3 less than 5 ppm ; PO4 less than 0.05 ppm).

Ensure strong random water flow and sufficient lighting (as a guide, replicate what Belle has on her tank).

When you have some assurance in keeping them growing and coloured up, then it's time to look into stuff like feeding sps corals and supplements.

Very good advise. Sweet Short and Sharp to the point.

Got pink and yellow BN from her. Does BN require strong light and flow? I have read about BN and also advise from Belle that flow and lighting should not be too strong. I am running a Razor Nano and MP10. If needed, I can turn them up.

I do 15% WC twice a week. So far the parameters seems to be ok except KH about 300++ region. Trying to bring it up slowly

Depending on the bird's nest species and origin but do heed Belle's advice as it is acclimated to that particular condition.

Keep all your parameters steady by maintaining your current dkh value of 8 and slowly increasing calcium levels till 380.

Really appreciate all the inputs. I will try my best but being a newbie in SPS and somemore in a NANO tank. Will monitor the parameters very closely and hope that Belle's lovely frags don't go to waste