Angry Ang Mo's 125 Gallons of Pure Reefing Pleasure

brent

Nice frags!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

I’ve decided to post a number of photos detailing some successes over the last year along with some failures. It’s easy to always rejoice at the successes but sometimes we learn the most from the failures.

I picked the photos to tell a story and so many of them aren’t very good photos.

If you have any suggestions to resurrect the failures, I would appreciate the advice.

Failures

Pink Digi – This one has had problems since the beginning. It’s very sensitive and I’ve had to prune dead parts from bleaching a couple of times. The strange thing is that all other digis in my tank grow amazingly well.

Jan13

s6fo.jpg

Sep13

5vyk.jpg

Pink Green Unknown Coral – It doesn’t ever look unhealthy but it also doesn’t really grow.

Jan13

5qh5.jpg

Sep13

2bmh.jpg

Tan Acro – This one hasn’t done anything the entire year.

Jan13

yvdz.jpg

Sep13

b8k2.jpg

Successes

Pink Stylo

Aug12 – Here it is the day I first got it. It was one of my original frags in the RSM.

lwhl.jpg

Jan13 - Here it is starting to take off in my old shallow tank

ks7a.jpg

Sep13 - Bam. It has really done well in my current tank.

8tdn.jpg

Purple Valida

Oct12 – I got this almost 1 year ago. Here it is in the RSM.

2fn1.jpg

Feb13 – It didn’t start to do well until I moved it to the top and placed it horizontally.

ychn.jpg

Sep13

e034.jpg

Radioactive BN

Jan13 - First day

5hpm.jpg

Feb13

mxjn.jpg

Sep13

ibrg.jpg

Stylo

Jan13 – This isn’t the first photo but I had problems with it before this since a worm attacked it, which forced me to cut off at least 30% of the frag.

xo8c.jpg

Sep13

lvo4.jpg

Yellow BN

Sep12 – Quite small. Photo is nice though. I believe that this was shortly after I purchased it from a fellow reefer.

lu0n.jpg

Dec12

5uxf.jpg

Apr13 – pretty pretty obvious my PO4 levels were high

4hmv.jpg

Sep13

x5ij.jpg

Blue Green Acro

Jan13

0xqh.jpg

Sep13

eq4c.jpg

Blue Digi

Jan13

rs54.jpg

Sep13

01rw.jpg

Random Acro (I'm terrible with names) – Good grower but PE doesn’t seem as nice recently

Jan13ltp4.jpg

Jun13

xsui.jpg

Sep13

u70j.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed seeing the progress over the last year.

• SRC Supporter

Awesome tank!

The colour of your SPS is amazing :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto

Nice bro

Nice sps growth.

great patience and experience

Amazing growth you've got. It's always nice to have a before and after photo to document the whole process. Thanks for sharing your successes!!

Thanks bros

It really amazing how small frag grow into big colony. And how you colour up your colony and keep the past record. Nice and colony colony sps.

I also find it absolutely amazing. If I hadn't taken photos, I wouldn't have even realized the transformation. One of these days I would like to see your legendary tank!

Awesome tank!

The colour of your SPS is amazing :thumbsup:

Thanks bro. Did you recognize the radioactive BN frag I got from you?

• SRC Member

Amazing growrh! What salt mix did u use? Do you need to dose magnesium?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Amazing growrh! What salt mix did u use? Do you need to dose magnesium?

Hey bro. I use DD salt and yes I need to dose a lot of Mag. These days I'm dosing over 500ml of 2 part daily using a dosing pump and I'm still having problems keeping up with consumption. It looks like I'll need to get a calcium reactor in the near future.

I've decided to upgrade my skimmer and get a new sump.

Here is the sump design. This time I decided to keep it relatively simple. I'll be using CRA again since they've always taken good care of me.

post-21531-0-87352500-1380095834_thumb.j

I've decided to upgrade my skimmer and get a new sump.

Here is the sump design.  This time I decided to keep it relatively simple.  I'll be using CRA again since they've always taken good care of me.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 30x24x18_sump.jpg

why the upgrade bro?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

why the upgrade bro?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

My SRO 1000 LSS is a great skimmer but it's only rated for 160 gallons with a light load. I have 160 gallons with a heavy load and so it's underrated for my tank.

It was awesome on my previous shallow tank but I've more than doubled my water volume since then. I tried compensating for the additional load by getting the automatic neck cleaner, which helped out. However, I didn't have enough clearance in my cabinet to put my skimmer at the ideal water height and use the neck cleaner.

So, I decided to upgrade to something that can handle my bioload. I'll be selling off my skimmer and auto neck cleaner soon

• 1 month later...

I haven't made an update for a long while. I ran into some issues with alkalinity stability, which triggered STN on some of my corals. IT was a long battle, but I managed to save a vast majority. I've since added a CA reactor to my setup and my alkalinity has stabilized.

Other than that, I've just tried to keep my hands out of the tank and let nature take its course. As you can see, I added a couple of anthias that are now eating pellets. Since I've had to feed my tank a lot more to keep the anthers healthy, the other fish have also gotten quite fat.

FTS

spgw.jpg

Some close ups

28rd.jpg

fdzp.jpg

ef02.jpg

17v4.jpg

weqi.jpg

qhwq.jpg

g40c.jpg

• SRC Member

I haven't made an update for a long while. I ran into some issues with alkalinity stability, which triggered STN on some of my corals. IT was a long battle, but I managed to save a vast majority. I've since added a CA reactor to my setup and my alkalinity has stabilized.

Other than that, I've just tried to keep my hands out of the tank and let nature take its course. As you can see, I added a couple of anthias that are now eating pellets. Since I've had to feed my tank a lot more to keep the anthers healthy, the other fish have also gotten quite fat.

FTS

spgw.jpg

Some close ups

28rd.jpg

fdzp.jpg

ef02.jpg

17v4.jpg

weqi.jpg

qhwq.jpg

g40c.jpg

Very nice photos. The colors are so sharp....

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• 2 months later...

Hey bros!

It's been a long time since I've posted an update. I'm sure people are wondering if I've thrown in the towel. Well, I'm still here. I haven't had much to say since I haven't made an addition in months. Lately, I've just been trying to keep parameters as stable as possible and keep my hands out of the tank.

In order to lower my electricity bill, I installed two fans in the cabinet blowing over the sump. The tank now requires a lot of fresh water top up (2 gallons per day) but I'm spending less on power, which is great.

I'm really loving my calcium reactor. It has really simplified my maintenance routine and I've stopped testing kH daily.

I went on holiday for 3 weeks and miraculously everything did fine. The fish were a bit skinny since the autofeeder jammed up with salt creep but everything else was good.

Many of the corals are doing so well that there's a lot of competition for space and light nowadays. I'm going to sell off some of the larger and fastest growing colonies. Unfortunately, it always seems that the corals which are worth the most are also the slowest growing...

In any case, here some photos from today. Enjoy

kf2n.jpg

sq32.jpg

rwhf.jpg

sfpe.jpg

q1cn.jpg