brownish colouring on rocks and walls

• SRC Member

Recently we notice brownish colouring on the glass walls as well as the white corals and shels. even white stones are turning brownish. Even the snail shell certain part also turn brownish.

We notice that its the surface area tats facing the lights that shows the borwnish colouration.

Is is not very very bad but white a white stone turn brownish maybe must ask why before its too late

Recently we notice brownish colouring on the glass walls as well as the white corals and shels. even white stones are turning brownish. Even the snail shell certain part also turn brownish.

We notice that its the surface area tats facing the lights that shows the borwnish colouration.

Is is not very very bad but white a white stone turn brownish maybe must ask why before its too late

Brown algae??

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Just to add, test NO3 yesterday shows 0ppm
If can be easily brush off then its diatoms.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

if u can, reduce the light period or totally off your lights for two/three days (take note if u only have fishes and no LPS), all algae will be gone.

then as usual, if u are hardworking enough, use a toothbrush to brush off the algae from the rocks and do a WC 15%-20%

repeat the cleaning and reduce lighting period over the course of the next few days should see your problem vanishing sooner than you thought

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

• SRC Member

These look like diatoms to me. One case is that if your tank is still fairly new, diatoms will almost certainly appear, but it will go away after some time. What are you using for your water changes? Tap water? Diatoms thrive in the pressence of silica, so if you are using tap water in your top offs or water changes, chances are, diatoms will continue to remain in your tank.

Your photopeirod is too long. You may want to consider reducing it to eight hrs.

• SRC Member

We use diamond water actually...the lights will reduce the number of hours. They say snails and other algae eaters are good to clear them. I have 2 in the tank i think but some say its not enought

• SRC Member

get more cleaning crew, reduce lighting period to 8-10hrs, weekly wc, problem should go away really soon. part and parcel of a new tank setup (<6 mths old)

btw the time it shd be ready for ur blue tang? kekeke still waiting for it

• SRC Member

Wrong lighting spectrum, extensive photoperiod, premature addition of livestock, excessive feeding, release of nutrients from poor quality liverocks (including base rock of corals), multiple reasons for excessive nutrients...<br /><br />Diatom to me, just let it ride out, cut down light, stop adding new stock, reduce feeding, use proper equipment and practice proper husbandry...<br /><br />Ur only and best solution

:: just a noob ::

I have a lot of red slime algae in my sump at the refugium where my chaeto are growing. Do I need to worry?

i used to have that in the initial stage in the ref. yes you need to remove the red slime algae, else they will take over your ref, worst scenario spread to DT.

suggest you clean them off and turn off the ref lights for two/three days.

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

Can you share with us what T5 lights you are using (wattage, intensity, number of tubes)? I read in your 31 May 13 post that you were dosing Ca, Mg and Na. For a new tank, I feel you should stick with water changes. Dosing can come in later. Anyway, why did you choose to dose the 3? In fact, I don't think anyone doses sodium (Na), which is essentially salt (sodium chloride). Did you make a mistake?

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

we have 2 x 3ft aqua zonice lights. not sure wat wattage. 3 blue 1 white, i was advice tat these 3 element is impt so we just when ahead to iwana to buy. we do not dose 3 in go...its like 1 tiny tiny MSG spoon a wk type. for one of each of ther element. Its not sodium choride but i tink its sodium bicarbonate...to lazy to go downstairs to verify. We are going to construct a scrubber soon (i hope my dad starts). I do travel alot for work so wanna try to teach them as much as possible. Been bringing them ard to LFS hear and learn so buy n try lo. like everything in the world. try in small dose 1st. Anyways, also bought test kits to will periodically test the water to see if they are doing the rite thing

We use diamond water actually...the lights will reduce the number of hours. They say snails and other algae eaters are good to clear them. I have 2 in the tank i think but some say its not enought

Hi bro. Have you check tds after using diamond water?