Cuttlefish tanks

sgslic

Any bros got experience with squid tanks?

Was surfing the net and found this article that got me interested....
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/r...uttlefish.html

Squids have always fascinated me as a kid...the recent sight of a squid in a IQ7 during Aquarama got me interested again after so many years...

Currently I have a 34L nano with just 2 clownfish inside. Was thinking of converting that to a squid tank!

Need advice!

• SRC Supporter

You need a species only tank with good filtration to prepare yourself fpr black ink !<br /><br />Cuttlefish eat only live food which can be a problem over the long run.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Pls share if anyone have lobang for constant supply of live feeder shrimps crabs etc.. the only thing left holding me back to start a spices tank of cuttlefish

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 2

Same thing bro...no idea where to get all the live feeders from...

Tried a couple of lfs but non is confident to commit a constant supply. Toyed with the idea of using Fw feeder shrimp but read someone that it won't be able to sustain their nutrition needs

• SRC Member

We use fake prawn lure and dead fresh fish to fish for squids.. I believed if you are able to make your food moves they might attack and eat. If not get chromis or clowns to feed them ..

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Just buy live prawns from the fishing and tackle shops. Kenna plenty of them ard Singapore waters. Even small size ones whack prawns bigger than themselves. The live prawns can be kept alive fr your tank water in a pail with airstone. Otherwise, keep them in your sump.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• SRC Member

We use fake prawn lure and dead fresh fish to fish for squids.. I believed if you are able to make your food moves they might attack and eat.<br /><br />If not get chromis or clowns to feed them ..

<br /><br />

Just buy live prawns from the fishing and tackle shops. Kenna plenty of them ard Singapore waters. Even small size ones whack prawns bigger than themselves. The live prawns can be kept alive fr your tank water in a pail with airstone. Otherwise, keep them in your sump.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

<br /><br />All fishing kaki haha...<br /><br />Patrick. U go bedok jetty at night for sure will know how to feed them. Lol

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

All fishing kaki haha...

Patrick. U go bedok jetty at night for sure will know how to feed them. Lol

Haha I'm also a fishing kaki leh.. bro hows your tank doing now? I lost your num if don't mind pm me again :)

Lifespan for cuttlefish is typically one year or less.

The whole point of keeping cuttlefish is to continuously maintain their life cycle. Towards the end, if you happen to have males and females, they will breed without further notice. This is difficult part where the babies need lots of mysis, copepods, up until at least the 3 month mark when they can be introduced to the adult set up.

Anecdotally, it is important to feed them quite frequently, twice a day or something. This keeps them from aggression.

Forget about small tanks though; not happening with heavy waste creatures like these.

Also, ghost shrimp can be used for a start, but they must be converted to saltwater. Don't feed fish, DK if they've been treated with copper.

Can be converted to frozen with a little effort.

Anyone seen cuttlefish recently?

• SRC Supporter

Lifespan for cuttlefish is typically one year or less. <br /> <br />The whole point of keeping cuttlefish is to continuously maintain their life cycle. Towards the end, if you happen to have males and females, they will breed without further notice. This is difficult part where the babies need lots of mysis, copepods, up until at least the 3 month mark when they can be introduced to the adult set up. <br /> <br />Anecdotally, it is important to feed them quite frequently, twice a day or something. This keeps them from aggression. <br />Forget about small tanks though; not happening with heavy waste creatures like these. <br /> <br />Also, ghost shrimp can be used for a start, but they must be converted to saltwater. Don't feed fish, DK if they've been treated with copper. <br />Can be converted to frozen with a little effort. <br /> <br />Anyone seen cuttlefish recently? <br />

Saw two at coral farm last week

• 2 weeks later...
That's a flamboyant cuttle. Possible endangered, as toxic as the blue ring; but not sure how it administers the poisons; through bite, secretion or by eating it. Not a good choice for starters.
If it is Metasepia pfefferi (Pfeffer's flamboyant cuttlefish) then as long as you do not eat it it is safe only its flesh/muscle is poisonous. Its toxic is in a class of its own very unique. Not the 1st time people are keeping it as long as you do not put it into your mouth.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Actually you can train them to eat frozen, and you would still have to start off with live foods until your cuttlefish is completely weaned onto frozen, but a live treat once in a while wouldn't hurt. You need a really big skimmer rated three times your tank size (e.g. 150gal skimmer for 50 gal cuttlefish tank) because of their high bioloads. Biological filter media is also needed, and a carbon filter in case of inking incidents. Saw two pairs at ML yesterday, $38 per pair, $300 complete setup with skimmer and all. Cheers, Squidboy (as my friends call me)

I had a flamboyant cuttlefish sometime back. Kept it for 6 months on fresh water shrimp. Got the shrimp fr 328 fish shop. Got constant supply there. Problem is need to make sure cuttlefish eat the shrimp soon after u throw the shrimp in else it will die soon after. My cuttlefish cannot swim after fast swimming shrimp hence need to injure the shrimp first so that it will stay in front of the cuttle fish long enough for its sting to shoot out and strike. Watching it catch it's prey is a joy to me. Unfortunately it died after starving for 5 days when I was out of country. No one know how to feed it except me. That's the problem with the feeding requirement of this sea creature

• 3 years later...
On 30/06/2014 at 5:07 PM, A. Quarium said:

Actually you can train them to eat frozen, and you would still have to start off with live foods until your cuttlefish is completely weaned onto frozen, but a live treat once in a while wouldn't hurt. You need a really big skimmer rated three times your tank size (e.g. 150gal skimmer for 50 gal cuttlefish tank) because of their high bioloads. Biological filter media is also needed, and a carbon filter in case of inking incidents. Saw two pairs at ML yesterday, $38 per pair, $300 complete setup with skimmer and all. Cheers, Squidboy (as my friends call me)

sorry to bring up this post but where is ML?