Unknown hairy crab in LR

Few days ago I discovered a hairy leg poking slightly out of a hole in the live rock it turns out to be a living thing.

I have also discovered that my clean shrimps are starting to get murdered one by one.. So I took out the carcass of a cleaner shrimp, tied it to a fish line and lowered it in front of the crab hole. True enough, the about 2 inch crab came out and grabbed the piece of meat.

I did a search on other forums and the below picture is the closest similar picture of the crab. Any one can ID what it is and its temperament? I wish to have cleaner shrimps in my tank but first I need to get this guy out.. any ideas?

2wf63hy.jpg

What I did in the past was to use a small plastic mineral bottle, cut to half and invert the top part to the bottom half.

Use scissor to poke some small holes so that the trap can sink faster.

Next, place a piece of live rock inside the trap so that it could stay in high current flow location.

Then, place a small piece of market prawn in the trap.

Set the trap during lights off. You will be surprise what you will find in midnight. :)

post-22579-0-26472100-1370867537_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Can i have the crab if you dun wan...after running sump for a while i do notice left over food on the wool.. so u may consider putting in the sump to eat the leftovers. The last time we tried all sorts of trap but dun really work. wat happens is that we identify the rock then take it out of the water. Use chopsticks of pincers to pluck the crab out. Which i think is so much more effective. But tats hw we do it mayb not be the right thing for all.

Mr crabs decides to migrate to another hole after I disturbed it yesterday.. No catch from my trap this morning. I'll drop a juicy prawn into the trap later when im home. :)

@Liquidnoise - Sure let me see if I want the crab if not I'll pass it to you.