How to properly introduce new fish to existing tank with fish

foxhound

how do I properly introduce new fishes into a tank with existing fishes?

I know the existing fishes have already established territories in the tank (and rocks) and will aggressively defend their place.

I have observed that the fatality rate of my newly introduced fishes are rather high, they either stave themselves or hide in a corner all of the time.

I usually water acclimatize new fishes first before putting them in the tank (fish in floating basket for about 1hour).

Recently I resort to resetting liverocks placement so that the turf war will (hopefully) be reset - this is working well so far.

Do I need to reset my rock placement each time a new fish comes in? What other ways can I safely integrate new fishes?

Thanks

• SRC Member

Few ways to do this, 1) use a divider/ betta box to house new fish for at least 2 weeks. This 2 weeks is to settle down the new fish in your tank and get it feeding. 2) catch out the old fish and place in your sump or betta box. So far these 2 methods work very well.

• SRC Member

it depends on the size of the fish. I have no issue getting a 1" juv angel to feed when in a 1ft diy container. I have no issue getting my flame wrasse to feed when i left it in the betta box for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

guess very much depends on fish

i place my flame wrasse in sump compartment, 1 x 1.5 x 1 feet

stay 1 corner, not feeding

decide to move to DT after a day, happily swimming and feeding

after that experience, i place all my fish in DT after acclimatize

i notice 3 main reason why fish fight

1) same family, eg dwarf angels, clowns

2) similar appearance, eg yellow tang vs copperband butterfly

3) aggresive in natural, eg peppermint hogfish, maroon clown

will the new fish be stress out and not eat if confine in a betta box/container?

If your betta box is big enough, you can also add a small PVC pipe inside for the fish to hide. Gemsurfs sell some good size betta box with screw instead of sucker which doesnt hold well.

guess very much depends on fish

i place my flame wrasse in sump compartment, 1 x 1.5 x 1 feet

stay 1 corner, not feeding

decide to move to DT after a day, happily swimming and feeding

after that experience, i place all my fish in DT after acclimatize

i notice 3 main reason why fish fight

1) same family, eg dwarf angels, clowns

2) similar appearance, eg yellow tang vs copperband butterfly

3) aggresive in natural, eg peppermint hogfish, maroon clown

Agreed. me too, put new fish into DT during feeding to distract the existing fishes. Occasionally they will tail fight and chases, after a day or two, it will be ok.

If your betta box is big enough, you can also add a small PVC pipe inside for the fish to hide. Gemsurfs sell some good size betta box with screw instead of sucker which doesnt hold well.

how about medium size angels or tangs?

im using those plastic containers for chinese new year cookies with the red cap. even the biggest tall long type seems to be abit small for medium size fishes.

• 5 months later...