Tissue receding in LPS

Admiraltian

Hi fellow reefers,

Need some help & advice on keeping freshy LPS such as Scoly, prata, lobo & trachy. I never have much luck keeping these corals for long term. Somehow or other, tissue will start recede from the sides exposing its bones after some time. Wondering what is it that I did wrong? Worse record was probably trachyphyllia and best record is cynarina (have 3 of these for 2 yrs plus, no issues). I will try my best to feed at least once a wk using frozen mysis or brine shrimp. Using radion & t5 combi for lighting. Wavemaker is Mp40 using random reef crest mode.

Hope to hear some expert advices and suggestions.

Thanks.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

is your calcium and mg dosing regimes regular?

for me after i started dosing calcium and mg regularly i never had this probem. in my first tank without a reactor and my lack of parameter checks due to my laziness, i was never able to keep hammer and torch corals from receding.

I am using 3 channels dosing pump, dosing ca, kh & mg at different intervals daily. Ca maintained at 410-420ppm, kh at 8-8.3dkh, mg at 1350-1380ppm. So not really water para issue. Anyway, thks for the advice.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Maybe you put some carbon. Dosing salt industrial grade? If they are, might be a case of unknown elements inside leeching into tank. Anyway never like led for lps. either bleach them or kill them
Ya, i having problem with led bleaching & killing my lps. Using industrial good grade cacl2, mgcl2 & nahco3. But long before I use these stuff, I already had this problem. Were u at marine life's mass sale juz now? The guy with Netviper? Think I saw u juz now. Thks for the advice again.

Ya, i having problem with led bleaching & killing my lps. Using industrial good grade cacl2, mgcl2 & nahco3. But long before I use these stuff, I already had this problem. Were u at marine life's mass sale juz now? The guy with Netviper? Think I saw u juz now.Thks for the advice again.

Yea I was with netviper and mini reefer earlier. Hope yoy like your purchases (:

Hmmmm if your flow strong?

Ya, i having problem with led bleaching & killing my lps. Using industrial good grade cacl2, mgcl2 & nahco3. But long before I use these stuff, I already had this problem. Were u at marine life's mass sale juz now? The guy with Netviper? Think I saw u juz now.Thks for the advice again.

Yea I was with netviper and mini reefer earlier. Hope yoy like your purchases (:

Hmmmm if your flow strong?

Yea I was with netviper and mini reefer earlier. Hope yoy like your purchases (: Hmmmm if your flow strong?
Yup, think i know who u r. U the guy that Netviper passed u a sample of reef roid, rite? I have 2 wave makers, strong one, mp40 in front, weak one, tunze6015 at the rear. Mp40 using reef crest mode, using 1/4 of the total speed only. Could it be my tank too low in nutrients?

Haha yea but I rejected cause got too many food for tank alr. I'm still trying to finish my dainichi pellets.

Icic. Tt looks weak. Shouldn't be a cause of concern.

Hmmm how low are your nutrients? You said these same issues were prevalent previously. Were you on carbon dosing then?

No, last time I wasn't keeping sps & my nutrients not that low too but still my lps tissue receded. But I think it was due to other problems then, unstable calcium levels & 1st time using led I suspect. U think I shd increase flow?

Hi bro, depends which lps you are keeping. For those fleshy type lps like cynarina, scolymia, etc, low flow should be good.

Previously i was using led, my prata also not doing well and probably water also too clean coz i'm keeping sps.

Now on ATI T5, prata seems to improve alot, but i still hide it alittle from direct light under my monti.

If possible, feed it!

Hi bro, depends which lps you are keeping. For those fleshy type lps like cynarina, scolymia, etc, low flow should be good. Previously i was using led, my prata also not doing well and probably water also too clean coz i'm keeping sps. Now on ATI T5, prata seems to improve alot, but i still hide it alittle from direct light under my monti. If possible, feed it!
Ok, thanks for the advice. Seem like most fleshy lps can't tahan the intense direct par from led.

Yes they dont fare that well. Same goes for rics and zoas. So far I noticed not many people can do rics under led. I tested with zoas. Mass melted; $800 went under.

Anyway I wont recommend upping your flow. Lps thrive on low to moderate flow. And yes like bro. Netviper said, feeding market prawns cut to the size of the mouth of your scolys help them recover. Target feeding with mysis shrimp helps too.

Lastly, what mode are you running for your vortech?

Yes they dont fare that well. Same goes for rics and zoas. So far I noticed not many people can do rics under led. I tested with zoas. Mass melted; $800 went under. Anyway I wont recommend upping your flow. Lps thrive on low to moderate flow. And yes like bro. Netviper said, feeding market prawns cut to the size of the mouth of your scolys help them recover. Target feeding with mysis shrimp helps too. Lastly, what mode are you running for your vortech?
Running reef crest random mode. I tried feeding market prawns, mysis & brine but didn't help much. The only successful try is when I did a 80% nsw change, one of my scoly recovered but then I upgraded to radion & it went up lorry. Sian!!

Too high water temp or too much par?

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Running reef crest random mode. I tried feeding market prawns, mysis & brine but didn't help much. The only successful try is when I did a 80% nsw change, one of my scoly recovered but then I upgraded to radion & it went up lorry. Sian!!

Hmmmm then I dont know liao man... sorry bro

Too high water temp or too much par?

Too much PAR i believe.

Hmmmm then I dont know liao man... sorry bro

Its ok, I also scratch my head sometimes, they just dun like my tank. lol

Looks like LPS cannot mix with SPS due to different water parameters and environment?

Anyone who is successful in LPS and soft and fish only tank? Please advice help advice the setups (light, water, skimmer or not, flow, supplmenets, etc) as I am starting a LPS/Soft/Fish tank only and planning to do without skimmer.

Looks like LPS cannot mix with SPS due to different water parameters and environment?

Anyone who is successful in LPS and soft and fish only tank? Please advice help advice the setups (light, water, skimmer or not, flow, supplmenets, etc) as I am starting a LPS/Soft/Fish tank only and planning to do without skimmer.

Without skimmer it is going to be quite a stretch on water parameters. Especially softies' mucus are not welcomed by sps and possible chemical warfare between them.

Otherwise a tank of lps sps softies and fish is possible. That is why it is called a mixed reef

Start a new thread in the appropriate section so we can take this further and not dilute TS' s thread.

Ya I think so too. You can pass those sick ones to me kekeke....
If u r interested, can come over my place to take.

Looks like LPS cannot mix with SPS due to different water parameters and environment? Anyone who is successful in LPS and soft and fish only tank? Please advice help advice the setups (light, water, skimmer or not, flow, supplmenets, etc) as I am starting a LPS/Soft/Fish tank only and planning to do without skimmer.
It is possible but difficult without skimmer. Why not invest in one? What's the reason of going skimmer less? A good skimmer doesn't need to cost much, even a weipro skimmer is better than none.

I now encountering my lobo been shrinking since I got it 2 months ago. Tried target feed every other day with mysis, frozen plankton, liquid coral food, etc. But I don't think they are eating, at least not the mysis!

Water parameters tightly controlled, chiller running, LED lights. Lobo is at mid-level not directly under light.

2ft cube tank with only 4 small fishes. Mostly lps and zoos in tank.

Any advise to help growth of meaty parts of lobo?