DIY Home Aquarium

mafacifa

• SRC Member

The return pipes shown above is just sample. The actual ones are actually higher. Right now, I've added some rocks and saltwater. Will be going down Pasir Ris Farmway tomorrow morning to get some remaining rocks for scaping.

• SRC Member

Personally, I don't think it is advisable to build a tank out of Acrylic and bonding glue.

Flexing the Acrylic is one issue .. Stress point inconsistency etc .UNless they Acrylic is Super thick for more bonding surface and to reduce freeplay in flexing possibility ..

Dunno ... just my 5 cents worth.

But do enjoy your result...

Happy Reefing ..

Hi bro, yeah. Proper bonding is necessary for a longer lasting acrylic tank. Same thing for glass too. If no silicon properly will also affect its integrity. For bigger capacity tanks the thickness does matters. I watched Tanked show (Animal planet - awesome show, highly recommend watching ) and ATM did their tanks like 3 inch thick acrylic! Don't think dama has these thickness. Haha!

For me, its more of trying it out and acrylic is easy to work with and it has better qualities in terms of strength, insulation and clarity.

• SRC Member

Hi bro, yeah. Proper bonding is necessary for a longer lasting acrylic tank. Same thing for glass too. If no silicon properly will also affect its integrity. For bigger capacity tanks the thickness does matters. I watched Tanked show (Animal planet - awesome show, highly recommend watching ) and ATM did their tanks like 3 inch thick acrylic! Don't think dama has these thickness. Haha!

For me, its more of trying it out and acrylic is easy to work with and it has better qualities in terms of strength, insulation and clarity.

just too bad they cannot provide thicker ones for you.

Just be careful.. Safety comes first ya

Hope to see the colourful results soon.... Jia You.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Awesome...!!!!

I see you using aluminium t-slot for the rack, seldom see people use aluminium t-slot and I am interested in it.

Mind if you are able to tell us more on the t-slot ( price , loading calculation etc ??? ) as I thinking to use for my new house fish stand,

Many thanks

• SRC Member

Awesome...!!!!

I see you using aluminium t-slot for the rack, seldom see people use aluminium t-slot and I am interested in it.

Mind if you are able to tell us more on the t-slot ( price , loading calculation etc ??? ) as I thinking to use for my new house fish stand,

Many thanks

Thanks. I'm not too sure for the weight loading for the t-slot but the profile is around 3kg/m. My total tank weight with saltwater is around 170kg. Considered light as compared to glass tanks.

You can check out this link to compute weight loading and other stuffs: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/TankWeight.php

If you are keen to know more about aluminium profile, you can contact singhonghuat. I bought some profiles from them. The other profiles i bought i got them overseas.

• SRC Member
The tank is up and running already for around 3 weeks. Shelf installed. Now waiting for sump cabinet doors. These two I can't DIY. So far tank is good. No leaks or surprises. :superman:
Happy to hear that bro..any new photo of ur tank update will b nice..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

How much you spend on the aluminium profile and where you get them from?

Thanks

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hey all. sorry for the late update. here is the final showcase photo. tank already up and running. had to fix brace as it tend to bow previous. with braces, it is great. The aluminium tank support are covered by laminated plywood panels, DIY too. It sticks to the aluminium using some good quality strong door like magnets. I don't like those swing open cabinet doors. Feel feel to comment. Thanks!

post-20009-0-83013200-1391307692_thumb.j

post-20009-0-95347200-1391307689_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Yeah Bro, patience is the key to success.. The space beside ur sump not enough for chiller?..from ur pic I see ur sump only occupy half the space..maybe ur width is a concern then.. If u r gg FOWLR, u can save on chiller..what's ur water temp now?..cheers n happy reefing..

@ 291213

• SRC Member
Yeah. Only enough for resun chillers. Need to fix circulation fans for proper ventilation though. Water temp now around 29 ish 30 degrees tops. Cheers!
admire yr DIY spirit. Acrylic is nice. For circulation fan, if space permits, can get those ventilation fan pple install at toilet or kitchen. High air vol movement, lower power consumption and dun rust. But the main issue is water evaporation is high.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Yeah. Only enough for resun chillers. Need to fix circulation fans for proper ventilation though. Water temp now around 29 ish 30 degrees tops. Cheers!

If there is opening/holes big enough at the cabinet, there's no need for any fan for ventilation..natural ventilation will do the job..

If not enough opening n for circulation inside the cabinet, u can have those clip on table fan..powerful n cheap..will get rusty though but can replace easily..

can share what equipments r running in ur tank now?..cheers

@ 291213