2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I will try to post pics if sump and dt.

I have narrowed down to the following after digesting all your valuable inputs.

- the LR may not be the cause as its been almost 2 months and coralline is growing.

- large die off is not likely, the last dead LS was like months ago. The body probably broken down now. NH4 and NO2 in good readings.

- I have rescape to allow better viewing and flow. No more walled city. LOL. Rescape was like after my 90% WC 2 weeks ago. So no chance of decomposing matter hidden in some spots.

- WC NSW tested high. So naturally, change how much water also high. But disclaimer here, it could be just that batch. I purchase more NSW and the test readings are pretty low. It's possible it's inconsistent due to multiple reasons. I'm not putting down NSW, in fact I am a supporter but the intent of the whole episode is I want to reduce no3, it's not meant as a NSW VS di saltmix stance.

Currently, I put chaeto in my DSB refugium. I have dump some excess LR in it too. I have seachem denitrate in the compartment housing the skimmer. Low flow here.

I started using AZ-NO3.

In day 5 now, have not test and water not cloudy and skimmer not skimming any hugh amount of gunk as expected.

Will do the next change with DI + saltmix and monitor.

Will update all with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a pretty high nitrate problem(same problem with yours). My problem is partially solved from the birth of bio pellets and bio sphere . With the combination of 2 and regular change of filter wool .... + cleaning of other SOP stuff , you might see a drop in nitrate. And even if you rescape did you check your sandbed? anyway a drastic water change might not always be advisable. Another way is to introduce clams if you have suitable lighting.

So you did not check the NSW for NO3 and PO4 before you top up into your tank.

This is very risky.

I learn my lesson. Even with DI water, I check and make sure NO3 and PO4 are near to zero

before using them.

Use to have this high NO3 problem that almost wipe out my whole tank last year

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

So you did not check the NSW for NO3 and PO4 before you top up into your tank. This is very risky. I learn my lesson. Even with DI water, I check and make sure NO3 and PO4 are near to zero before using them. Use to have this high NO3 problem that almost wipe out my whole tank last year
Did you mean purchased NSW also have high NO3 or PO4? Can return to LFS if that's the case?