Best type of pellet food

Quas111

• SRC Member

oh interesting! It seems really good!

So which would be better in terms for value for money for the quality and quantity of the pellets? Would Henry's meal be better or TDO be better?

Ocean nutrition!

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

Ocean Nutrition. NLS.

These are all tried and tested pelleted food for marine fish.

Personally I like ON's Formula 2 pellets. These contain Spirulina which can be used to supplement the 'greens' in most fish as most marine fish tend to be omnivorous.

It is also versatile enough to be blended and mixed with frozen food.

Look at the protein %, this value alone says a lot for the quality of the pellet.

Good quality food has protein % >40% and as low ash content as possible. Good quality pellets often include vitamins & astaxanthin.

Good quality pellets also lack fillers, which is junk added in which does nothing for the fish. Examples of fillers include wheat germ & wheat flour.

If such fillers are listed as the first 3 ingredients, it means they are that high in proportion. Which essentially means you are paying for junk food.

The best quality fish food never will have fillers listed as the first 3 ingredients, same goes for dog food or cat food. That is why good quality fish food is never cheap, they don't save money by loading fillers.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Look at the protein %, this value alone says a lot for the quality of the pellet.

Good quality food has protein % >40% and as low ash content as possible. Good quality pellets often include vitamins & astaxanthin.

Good quality pellets also lack fillers, which is junk added in which does nothing for the fish. Examples of fillers include wheat germ & wheat flour.

If such fillers are listed as the first 3 ingredients, it means they are that high in proportion. Which essentially means you are paying for junk food.

The best quality fish food never will have fillers listed as the first 3 ingredients, same goes for dog food or cat food. That is why good quality fish food is never cheap, they don't save money by loading fillers.

hmm interesting points! I will definitely look out for these points when buying food for the fishes!

How about garlic? Is it a useful or pointless ingredient. I saw a post on this forum about how garlic actually decreases a fishes immunity to diseases. Is it true?

• SRC Member

And how fast does the good foods like Henry's meal, ocean nutrition and TDO degrade in an auto feeder? Could they last around 2 weeks in the open at a time? I mean if they are high protein they would decompose very fast right?

• SRC Member

What TDO?

it's a type of pellet food which seems to be very good not only for feeding fish but also for acclimating fish to eat pellet food. I have only heard positive remarks about it so far.

Here's the website: http://reefnutrition.com/tdo_chroma_boost.php

• SRC Member

And how fast does the good foods like Henry's meal, ocean nutrition and TDO degrade in an auto feeder? Could they last around 2 weeks in the open at a time? I mean if they are high protein they would decompose very fast right?

NLS and ocean nutrition =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am feeding NLS thera +A and my clownfish and yellowtail damsel will always wait for me at the top.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8