serious problem! fish keep dying!

Hi all,

My tank has been setup up for about 3 months. My brain coral, anemones, zoas are all doing well. However, the fishes I add in typically die once added to the tank within 3-7 days believe due to white spot. turbo snails and hermit crab die after 2-3 weeks. Darn this is stressful. Feel like giving up this new hobby. Really need some good advice. Thanks.

Hi all,

My tank has been setup up for about 3 months. My brain coral, anemones, zoas are all doing well. However, the fishes I add in typically die once added to the tank within 3-7 days believe due to white spot. turbo snails and hermit crab die after 2-3 weeks. Darn this is stressful. Feel like giving up this new hobby. Really need some good advice. Thanks.

Hi bro,

Most of the newbies have some sort of experiences of setbacks, I had even worse situation like pipe leakages that has flooded the living room in midnight and recently tank crash due to overdose of addictive. :paiseh: I would say this are the learning stage where you keep improving and take control of the entire tank situations but it is not easy without patient and knowledge of this hobby.

There is a say that maintain good water parameters & management will in turn keep your livestock well. Another point to note is where you brought your livestock from and how you acclimatise your new fish to the tank. I would suggest for new tank set up, try to buy some old fishes from the forum reefer which IMO, which they are much easy to adapt to new tank environment than new fish from shop. Furthermore, they are ready feeding on tank food and more stable.

Do your read up on water parameters management & you can share here the results of your water parameter reading, hence the senior reefers here can give you some remedy & advice.

Success in manages marine tank take time and patience, most importance tank situation control & awareness.

Wishing you success and happing reefing, :)

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

• SRC Member

Bought from cf mainly. If not properly climatize will it cause white spot to the fishes?

Think if nv properly climatize will make e fish more stress and more susceptible to white spots?

Any other more pro can verify?

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

3mths old tank is not stable yet bro QT the fish one moth or more (qt tank bigger is better 3ft up if possible with some mature live rocks in qt tank) let the fish do the fasting 4 a few days or more. add one fish at a time to the reef tank n better to do the drpn procs.. do not do any medecation trust me bro fasting will Detox Body n Recharge Health Fasting is the Greatest Remedy i feed my fish only twice aweek they grow slowly but getting stronger n healthr each day less is always better than more So.. let the fasting do the taking.. Good Luck.

Stress will cause the fish immune system to weaken, thus more susceptable to whitespots... Acclimatize them the right way will reduce the stress the fish go thru... 3mths is still a very new tank, it takes about a year for marine tank to mature and stablize. Keep ur water parameters in check, acclimatize the right way, do not over stock, add fish wisely, its a process every reefer have to go thru... Take ur time and be patient... It will pay off As for white spots, its probly in your tank already, and its there to stay unless u do something about it. Since u have not much fish now, stop adding them, let it go fishless, and i mean FISHLESS, for at least 3 weeks... The parasite will die without having any thing to host. Then u can slowly add fishes... If not its only gonna to get worse, the more fish u add, the more stress, the more ich... Thats just my opinion, dun be disheartened, scour the forums and learn as much as u can for the time being. Good luck

• Like 1

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Supporter

share with us how long you setup your tank, details of your setup, what did you dose, what additives you use.

all this are important factor we need to know before we can advise.

we all will agree that it is a very exciting hobby and we all have the tendency to add in livestock once the tank looks ready and running but do bear in mind that patience is the key in this hobby.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Try to get fishes that are already feeding. Once in your tank if they start eating, with stable water parameters they will normally be able to fight diseases in the new environment. you might want to share what fishes are placed inside. Some fishes might be more challenging.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe you would like to share your water parameters. Add UV light to your tank system or Keeping your tank fish less for 3weeks to kill the ich parasite as they have no host to leech on. Properly acclimatizing play an important role. New environment cause stress to fishes, better aclimatizing minimize it. Garlic feed boost your fishes immune system also. Read more about feed from Dr evil, Henry, etc...

• 3 weeks later...