Polyps fully extended only whens lights are off… WHY?

• SRC Member

I am puzzled! Whenever I look into the dark tank early in the morning and see that the polyps of most of the SPS (especially the acropora) having polyps fully extended (more then when the lights are on).

Any explanation for this?

post-22745-0-25480300-1382146228_thumb.j

* Picture taken using the room light (NOT the tank light), cannot capture the polyps without light.

• SRC Member

It is normal. They behave like that in the wild too when most fishes are 'sleeping', no fishes bite them & when 'food' in the ocean is at the most. This behaviour pass down from generations to generations. But they can be 'trained' to extend their polyps in our tank too. Can't help u on that but i learn from one brother here that feeding amino acid will help. Have not tried that yet.

• SRC Member

Thank you for the education. For a moment, I was worried that the lights I am using had caused the polyps to not extend fully.

Do you broadcast or target feed the supplements? (Amino acid)

for amino acids, just broadcast feed infront of ur pump/wavemakers. For food would be better to target feed and turn off pump.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Do I also off the skimmer for amino acid and feeding?

if you're hardworking enough, off for about 1 - 2 hours. i personally do not off my skimmer because i often forgets to turn it back on. so i just leave it on.

Totally agree. This frag is just below the wave maker. arete2uq.jpg

Do you see the yellowish stuff? I suspect that is algae.

does looks like algae. maybe you should frag the top off.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Your blueish tips SPS need to see whether the PE becomes longer at dark times. IMO, it looks fine. The one with no PE, does not looks good. Is it Montipora?

Yes, it is a montipora. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping it may cone back.

• 2 weeks later...

It is normal. They behave like that in the wild too when most fishes are 'sleeping', no fishes bite them & when 'food' in the ocean is at the most. This behaviour pass down from generations to generations. But they can be 'trained' to extend their polyps in our tank too. Can't help u on that but i learn from one brother here that feeding amino acid will help. Have not tried that yet.

Bro i like the way you answer this one...simple and cute, especially on the " fishes bite them " part :upsidedown:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...