What happened to my tigger pods?!?!!

andrewttw

Hi all!

I am new to this forum and also new to keeping marine fish. Have a newly set up tank and DIY refugium. Right now I need some help with culturing tigger pods.

Purchased a bottle of live tigger pods just last saturday. Placed them in the mid section of my refugium with a bunch of chaeto which I bought from the same shop (photos attached) and turned on my pump.

That was in the evening.

I checked the tigger pods the next afternoon and they were all gone!!!

Specs: There are no fish other other creatures in my refugium. Only the chaeto, live rock and live sand. My pump is 3000 ltr/hr. Main tank size is 72L and about 2.5 metres above the refugium, refugium size about 37L. Currently having a slightly high Nitrate level in my tank.

Qn: Could the tigger pods be burrowed under the sand? Is the flow of my pump too strong (doesn't look like) that the pods got pushed into my pump section and then into my main tank? Any advice on how to culture the things? And will the tigger pods ever set up a colony if put inside the main tank or will they just be wiped out?

- Andrew

post-23110-0-47534800-1383217173_thumb.j

post-23110-0-75940700-1383217178_thumb.j

post-23110-0-18707300-1383217185_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Nope normal water conditions are ok. I used to have some in a high nutrient non chilled tank until I got a canary wrasse, so they should do fine in your tank. They just like to hide a lot

• SRC Member

The pods will survive under normal conditions. Hiding is one of their best defence mechanism to ensure their survival since prehistoric time/ when their very 1st ancestor starts to roam in the sea. It will be their folly to come out & 'party' under lights. The next thing they know while still alive is a predator smiling cheekily next to them. No choice, they are one of those at the bottom of the food chain, regardless whether got fishes or not in your tank. Dun ever think of them coming out & say 'hi' to u.

• 2 weeks later...