Tap Water safe enough for LPS and softies?

beaver

• SRC Member

I concur to what rockyboy said. I used to use a cheap distilled water maker, my tank also flooded with nuisance algae.

With the cheap distilled water maker with some kind of filtration i'm already getting tonnes of algae, not mentioning water straight from the tap.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

There is an article writer in Marine magazine who uses tab water (dechlorinated) for LPS and they are doing good. I forgot in which issue he discussed it.

I think he has standard nutrient export in place.

Singapore water is better that many western countries. If I measure my tab water using my TDS I got around 70 to 100 range. In the US it could go as high as 400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

using RO/DI water with good saltmix allow you to perform water change with high degree of quality control. TDS in bedok area is about 75 ... =)

Its like doing car servicing .... lets say your car need 6l of engine oil to perform servicing. after pouring in 5.8l of clean engine oil, u realise that you are short of 200ml... will you top up the 200ml with used engine oil? individual preferance though...

My advice is to continue with the distilled water although quite a hassle to safeguard your precious tank fishes and coral in the long run. In short term, performing water changing/ top up might not be significant to observe.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

There is an article writer in Marine magazine who uses tab water (dechlorinated) for LPS and they are doing good. I forgot in which issue he discussed it.

I think he has standard nutrient export in place.

Singapore water is better that many western countries. If I measure my tab water using my TDS I got around 70 to 100 range. In the US it could go as high as 400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anthing above 50 is prone to algae growth later.

Better to keep your DI water below 50.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I am using tap water age for 3-4 days in my tank for 4mos+ now, and i dont complain for the algae yet, i saw white, purple algae but no green hairy algae... yet as of the moment.... and I dont have bio pellet, my nitrate is around 5+ (orange in color).... but not sure also later if algae attack :)

I am using tap water age for 3-4 days in my tank for 4mos+ now, and i dont complain for the algae yet, i saw white, purple algae but no green hairy algae... yet as of the moment.... and I dont have bio pellet, my nitrate is around 5+ (orange in color).... but not sure also later if algae attack :)
Bro Which brand of sea salt mix u using?